Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-03-18-WCW-Worldwide] Fit Finlay vs Barbarian

Loss

Fun little match. Barbarian is exactly the type of guy WCW should have been pushing hard, repackaged and as a headliner. He was a veteran who could still be fresh, he could work, he could be paired with someone who could cut promos, and he was still young enough to not be seen as old hat. He could have been a workhorse. Finlay is always reliable too. Of course, the precision of the strikes and kicks is soooo good here, and that's always a given with Finlay matches, and Barbarian does the best big boot in wrestling.

Finlay in this hardcore gimmick feels like some mis casting to me. Finlay certainly can be brutal and violent but I think it works best within the confines of a closely mat worked type match ala Uncensored 1996 where the stiffness feels like an aberration. Here he comes out with Barbarian and they have a clubbing four minute match which is ok but not the intense brawl I had hoped for. I did think Barb was game and his clothesline off the top rope had the crowd going a bit that he could pull off the upset. Finlay doing the forward roll to Barb was impressive but not a great looking finisher. **

• 3 weeks later...

Fit’s got his arm in a cast as a result of having it ‘broken’ by Lex Luger. Finlay uses the cast as a weapon unleashing clubbing blows to the Barbarian until he’s able to turn things around. Fit with a nerver hold, followed by an elbow to the bridge of the nose and Barb rolls to the outside. Finlay follows him out and again clubs him with the cast. He rams his back into the apron but Barb is able to reverse an Irish whip and Fit goes flying into the guard rail. He then starts to focus his attention on that broken hand, driving it into the ring steps. Bodyslam and a clothesline off the top for a two. Fit nails him in the head with the cast, but as he shoves the referee out the way whilst he’s admonishing him he’s met with a big boot for another two. Barb whips him into the ropes, Fit ducks a clothesline, picks him up in a fireman’s carry and forward roll slam for the pin.

Solid little match. Nothing you ‘need’ to see, but if you’ve got a spare five minutes you won’t be offended. Nice to see the Barbarian focus some attention on Finlay’s broken hand, strategy that Luger should’ve adopted when wrestling Hogan at Superbrawl.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-03-18-WCW-Worldwide] Fit Finlay vs Barbarian