Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-03-18-WCW-Worldwide] Silver King & El Dandy vs La Parka & Chavo Guerrero Jr

Loss

These matches are so good. This one is every bit as good as the last one, but different enough to be good on its own merits. More of the same in terms of double team moves, a fast pace and lots of crowd pleasing spots. My favorite C-show series of the year. ***

As awful as WCW is becoming, it is always a treat to see Silver King and his lucha pals come out because even though the match shouldn’t be nothing exceptional, it will be at least a stand alone bit of fun. Parka’s robe here with the skull and horns is awesome. Dandy starts off by bumping huge and Chavo looks better here than at any point we have seen in 2000 so far. Parka is such an enigma nearly blowing tons of stuff but just hanging on. I got to admit that when I saw this match listing I was already preparing my notes about how Chavo clearly looked the worst of the four but he has held his own so far. Why these four weren’t given 12 minutes on PPV or to help get over 3 Count and Jung Dragons I will never know. Dandy bumped huge throughout this match and ends up taking the fall from Parka. That was about as good of action as you can get in five minutes. ***1/4

• 3 weeks later...

Parka continues to get a great reaction and he’s got a new ring jacket with horned skulls on each shoulder. Fast opening between Chavo and Dandy and Chavo backdrops him to the floor. Dandy moves out the way of a dive, but Chavo slides under the bottom rope and heads out after him. European uppercut before throwing him back into the ring. La Parka and Silver King pick it up where their partners left off and the hot pace continues. Double team on Parka who they whip to the corner, but he moves out the way of an incoming Silver King splash. Tilt-a-whirl to Dandy, a deep arm drag to King, cover, Dandy with a senton and Parka moves and he lands on his own partner. A rolling heel kick sends Dandy tumbling to the outside and Parka with a twisting suicide dive out onto him. Chavo with a drop kick that sends Silver King to the floor followed by a pescado. Parka with a split legged moonsault on Dandy for two. Parka goes shoulder first into the ring post and Dandy and King utilise some of that great team work. Big spinning DDT and Chavo is in there to break up the pin. Dandy with a right to Parka and he falls flat back through the ropes to the arena floor. Silver King with a snap suplex on Chavo and Dandy off the middle with an elbow for two. Dandy sits Chavo on the turnbuckles and Parka tags himself in. Electric chair position for Dandy with Chavo perched on the top rope. Silver King comes rushing in and Chavo with a high body press, while Parka slams Dandy face first to the canvas off his shoulders. Chavo hip tosses Silver King to the outside (going over the ropes with him) and Parka with a reverse corkscrew bodyblock for the win.

Really good match considering the time given, and they work a hell of a fast pace cramming so much into this. A couple of slight miscommunication issues but that’s being ultra picky. Considering how little push these guys ever got in WCW it’s amazing that they continue to work so hard, it’s some work ethic they’ve got. The best Chavo has looked so far and the reaction La Parka gets never ceases to amaze me.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hell yeah I’m watching this. I’ve always been a big Silver King guy, worked a physical style, took impactful bumps, lets see what he’s bringing to 2000 WCW. I’ve watched a ton of lucha in recent years and haven’t watched much WCW since it died so it’s weird to hear Schiavone hyping me on Silver King and El Dandy. What an odd time. Parka just dripping with charisma which he still has to this day. Parka/King exchanges are everything I want them to be. This was just all sorts of fun. I need to get more people on my Silver King bandwagon.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-03-18-WCW-Worldwide] Silver King & El Dandy vs La Parka & Chavo Guerrero Jr