Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-03-18-CZW-X-Spelled] Low Ki & Mercury vs Ric Blade & TCK

Loss

So if you'd like to see a lot of wrestlers attempt to cripple themselves with nutty bumps, both intentionally and unintentionally, this is the match for you. TCK messes up a dive to the outside, which sets off a tragedy of errors that culminates in Low Ki falling off a ladder and hitting the apron in one of the scariest moments I've ever had as a wrestling fan, even watching 17 years later and knowing he is okay. Think I've seen the most insane moment of the match? Nope, think again. The next huge moment sees Ric Blade do a legdrop from the top of a basketball goal through a table. What the hell was wrong with these guys? This just about gave me a heart attack. I can't watch this one again.

This is a weird venue for CZW to run as due to their hardcore style, they generally stayed out of the school looking gyms. Hat guy is still hanging out at this show. I am unfamiliar with Mercury and TK. Blade continues to be spotty as all hell but has better execution in the two matches of 2000 we have seen than I would have imagined. TK doesn’t have the same luck as he botches a dive off of Blade’s back to the floor. Mercury hits a good asai moonsault onto the floor and Blade adds a diving swantom. Ki has an insanely scary botch where he climbs to the top of the ladder and tries a phoenix splash but it gives way and he comes crashing to the apron. Match goes straight into the finish run with kicks and bombs. Ki was able to shrug off the botch and hit a good half and half on TK. Blade does a dive off the top of the basketball goal which was completely nutty. That may honestly be my spot of the year so far. Just nuts. TK inside gives Ki a superplex through a table which looked good but was no comparison to what we just witnessed. PInfall is a mess as Ki gets counted out even though he kicks out. Ki’s music even fires up. Match was a mess for the most part and probably could be slimmed down to the Blade spot off the basketball goal. *3/4

• 3 weeks later...

Overheard: "Break his arm and beat him the fucking stump!" during a wristlock.

That Ki botch was brutal. It's so 2000 that he's like, "I know what I'll do to fix this - hit Blade super hard in the head with a chair!"

Ric Blade jumping off a basketball hoop might be the most amusing place he jumped off, and only the 8th dumbest.

Then they botch the pinfall and the music as well. This sucked.

• 3 weeks later...

Weird seeing a CZW show with families and women. The Ki bump might be the scariest thing I've seen and I've seen Joe lider matches. I thought the ref was holding the ladder but I guess not. Ric blade then tops that with the basketball hoop leg drop. That guy must the high as hell to do that. Then Ki kicks out at the finish but the ref says it's 3 anyways. Just a mess of a match and CZW as hell.

• 2 weeks later...

Handheld of a CZW show being held in what looks like a High School Gym. Mercury and Blade trade wristlocks before Mercury brings him to the canvas with a Fireman’s carry take down. Legdrop and standing moonsault for an early two. After a choreographed looking series of catching the leg, flips and ducking enziguiri’s, Blade lands a superkick. Superkick to Ki who takes to the outside to compose himself. TCK goes to leap off the back of Blade and over the top rope out onto him, but slips and doesn’t even make it out of the ring. Good work from Ki who punches, then pulls him to the floor in order to try and put a stop to the ‘you fucked up!’ chants. Lovely Asai moonsault to the floor from Mercury, and Blade with a springboard swanton out onto all three. Ki sets up a ladder in the ring, goes for a Phoenix splash, but slips and falls in a frightening looking spot. Bar one moron, the crowd don’t even chant ‘you fucked up!’ at this as there in as much shock as me. Ki is pissed and absolutely creams Blade with a full force chair shot to the head. Some sort of flapjack/kick to the head double team from TCK and Blade misses, while Ki is still trying to shake off the effects of that horrendous fall. Combination sideslam/springboard somersault doesn’t connect as the misses continue. The cameraman makes his way around ringside and a member of the audience yells ‘will you get the fuckin’ camera out of here you asshole!’ Nice! Ki with a cool overhead throw to Blade and he’s either a top draw seller or he’s still not recovered. Tiger suplex on TCK, while Blade and Mercury have headed to the back of the arena. Blade sets up a table, lies Mercury on it and comes off the top of the basketball backboard with a legdrop. One crazy ass bump! In the ring a table has also been set up. TCK superplexes Ki, however the table is too close to them and TCK goes through it while he suplexes Ki over it. Ki kicks out of the subsequent pin, but the bell rings anyway. To top it off, they then play the wrong music at the end!

From the moment TCK blew that dive off Blade’s back this was a mess. The bump that Ki took off the top of the ladder was frightening, and he could’ve quite easily broken his neck or worse on the fall. What on earth was the referee playing at too as he appeared to be holding the ladder to stop it slipping. Blade then makes you forget about that with this nutty sky high legdrop off the backboard. How he didn’t hurt himself I’ll never know. In between you’ve got a whole bunch of botches and blown moves. The bell ringing after Low Ki had kicked out of the pin and the wrong music playing summed this match up to a tee. Stiil, it ranks higher than Nova/Corino on the effort factor and that they nearly died for out entertainment!

• 2 weeks later...

That botch looked like it could have (or almost should have) put Low Ki into a wheelchair and there still were some assholes chanting "you fucked up". I suppose at that point you would even find people who would have shouted "you fucked up" at Owen Hart at Over the Edge 99.

• 4 months later...

There's bad wrestling that nobody needs to see and then there's bad wrestling that you just absolutely have to see. This definitely falls under the later. That Ki botch was terrifying even knowing that something of that ilk was coming. When you see a match like this it kinda amazes you that more wrestlers on these low rent shows doing crazy shit didn't get more seriously permanently hurt. Ki following it up by just whacking Blade as hard as he could in the head with a chair was classic Ki. I'd kill to see the aftermath on the unedited version with Ki losing the plot and getting dragged out the place kicking and screaming. Sleazy Indy wrestling at it's worst but also it's most unmissable.

• 2 months later...

I'm not familiar with either guy teaming with Ki or Blade, but we know MNM got their choice of apparel for their WWE run from Mercury. This maybe the worse match I've ever seen Ki involved in.

This was a disaster that could pass as backyarder levels of bad. Ki botching that ladder spot was scary. No matter what happened afterwards, everyone had already checked out from the scare.

For some reason, there's a fan or someone heckling the cameraman which is annoying.

Blade and Mercury do some brawling around the arena and Blade pulls off one of the dumbest spots I've ever seen by dropping a leg from the top of a backboard from a hoop through a table on Mercury.

Meanwhile in the ring Ki takes a superplex through another table.

Even though Ki kicked out of the superplex through the table, the bell still rings and his music hits which is confusing.

Disastrous.

• 4 weeks later...

A complete and total mess. I rarely cringe at blown spots, but the Low Ki one got me. Blade was just being Blade. Ki needs a physics class.

I haven't read anything that was linked yet, but this has to be the match that Ki was pissed. I don't think he was supposed to take the fall and that's why it looks botched. I think they went home early because of Blade's stupidity.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-03-18-CZW-X-Spelled] Low Ki & Mercury vs Ric Blade & TCK