• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smoky Mountain Wrestling is a proud partner of the National Wrestling Alliance

24gswua.jpg

image.png

Smoky Mountain Power Hour

Saturday 8th June 1985

Knoxville Civic Ballroom, Knoxville, TN

Taped in front of a live studio audience at the Knoxville Civic Ballroom, Knoxville, TN

Hosted by Charlie Platt and David Crockett

Smoky Mountain Heavyweight Champion - Gama Singh

Smoky Mountain Tag Team Champions - The Orient Express (Saito & Akira)

The opening credits roll and we pan to Charlie Platt and David Crockett at the announcer’s desk, before they get to even welcome the fans Ken Lucas, minus the Smoky Mountain Heavyweight Title, storms out to the desk, Ron Starr you crossed the line last Monday night, after our series I thought these days were behind you, I was wrong, you cost me the one thing I worked so hard for, and that I cannot forgive, but this has to end, so I’m challenging you too a loser leaves town match this Monday night, Smoky Mountain Wrestling isn’t big enough for the both of us and on Monday I get rid of you. Lucas makes his way to the ring while Platt and Crockett welcome the fans to this week’s show. Lucas’s opponent this week is a Gene Ligon, the bell rings and Lucas steam rolls Ligon with devastating blows, after about a minute, Lucas slaps on the Sleeper Hold and Ligon passes out. We go back to David Crockett and Charlie Platt, Crockett comments on how determined Ken Lucas looked and how desperate he is to get his hands-on Ron Starr by putting up his job in Smoky Mountain Wrestling to end this feud.

=== Commercial ===

We return with Charlie Platt running through the results from this past Monday, where we crowned new tag team champions in Ron Wright’s Orient Express when Boomer Lynch got involved in their title match with Ricky Vaughan and Brian Adias, The Rock N Roll Express defeated the Rock N Roll RPM’s in the second match in their best of 7 series to go 1 apiece and Jerry ‘The King’ Lawler and Abdullah The Butcher went to a double disqualification. At this point Hugo Savinovich comes to the announcer’s desk puffing on a Cuban cigar, Savinovich tells Crockett and Platt that he won’t take up much of their time, he goes on to say that Abdullah The Butchers job is almost done here and on Monday night he will finish what he started, and put ‘The King’ out of commission. At this point Jerry Lawler strolls out to confront Savinovich, Lawler says its great how Abdullah hides behind this cockroach of a man in Savinovich, Hugo just laughs off this comment and tells Lawler that Abdullah doesn’t need to hide behind anyone and he will find out on Monday night what damage he can really do. Savinovich goes to take another puff of his cigar when Lawler grabs his arm, even when I get done with Abdullah this Monday night, I’m still not finished with you after you put this lit cigar into my face 2 weeks ago, so when I’m done with Abdullah then I’m coming after you, Lawler then grabs the cigar and then drops it to the floor and stubs it out and walks off. When then go to the ring wear we have Josh Stroud and Larry Hamilton in the ring ready to face off with the new Smoky Mountain Tag Team Champions The Orient Express with Ron Wright. The match goes for about 5 minutes when Saito hits a german suplex on Hamilton and covers him for the 3 count.

=== Commercial ===

Following the commercial we are joined by The Heartbreaker, Tony Falk says that Jimmy Del Ray is holding his own in the Junior Title tournament, things haven’t been go so well for him, so today on TV he’s going to win his first match against Tim Horner and go on and win the title. Charlie Platt asks why he has brought the other two members of the Heartbreakers to the ring with him this week, Falk says as Del Ray is going to win his block this is merely a scouting mission, and Steven Dunn is his corner boy, Falk comments that corner boys are all the rage in Japan, but Platt wouldn’t know anything about that as he’s never left Knoxville. Falk makes his way to the ring where Tim Horner is already there. Falk gets into the ring and stretches off, the bell rings and Falk runs straight toward Horner, when Horner hits him with a dropkick and covers him for the 3 count and the win in 6 seconds. Falk is stunned, he can’t believe what happened, Jimmy Del Ray and Steven Dunn jump into the ring to get a hold of Horner, but Horner is on his toes and out of the ring. Del Ray and Dunn check on Falk who is still out on the mat. A graphic is brought up on screen and this week’s results.

Tuesday – Recreation Centre in Johnston City, TN

Block A – Owen Hart defeats Ken Timbs/Fishman defeats Marty Jones

Block B – David Taylor defeats Tim Horner/Scorpio and Enquire Vera go to a draw

Wednesday – East High School in Morristown, TN

Block A – Jimmy Del Ray defeats Pat Rose/Ken Timbs defeats Marty Jones

Block B – Dean Malenko defeats Enquire Vera/David Taylor and Dean Malenko go to a time limit draw.

Thursday – Raleigh County Armory, Beckley, WV

Block A – Marty Jones defeat Owen Hart/Fishman defeats Pat Rose

Block B – Tim Horner defeats Enquire Vera/Scorpio defeats David Taylor

=== Commercial ===

Following the commercial we return with the new Smoky Mountain Wrestling Heavyweight Champion Gama Singh who is with his insurance policy Boomer Lynch and the ever disheartened Don Kernodle. Gama says that he should be out here celebrating his title win but because of the actions of Don Kernodle, he can’t. He says he has had just about enough of Kernodle, so this Monday he’s being forced into punishing him, if Kernodle wants his freedom so much he can fight for it. Kernodle looks happy with this, and asks what it is? Gama laughs and tells Kernodle look so happy, if he wants his freedom he’s going to have to fight both himself and Boomer Lynch in a 2-on-1 handicap match and if he can win, he is free, if he can’t then he has to toe the line. Kernodle walks towards Singh and tells him he’s been waiting for this opportunity and he’s going to take it, and walks off. Gama call’s him back, not so fast, you still need to be punished for this Monday actions, Gama Singh nods at Boomer, who blind sides Kernodle and beats him down. Gama then grabs a hold of Kernodle and locks him into the camel clutch, shouting ‘you work for me Kernodle don’t you ever forget that’. Gama walks off as Boomer picks up the motionless Don Kernodle and carries him to the back.

=== Commercial ===

We return with today’s main event, a special 6 man tag match, on one side we have The Rock N Roll RPM’s with Jimmy Del Ray facing off with The Rock N Roll Express with Jerry ‘The King’ Lawler. The match goes for about 10 minutes when the two Rock N Roll teams fight to the back leaving Lawler and Del Ray in the ring together. Jerry Lawler looks like he’s about to finish off Jimmy Del Ray when Hugo Savinovich comes out distracts the referee, allowing Steven Dunn and Tony Falk to attack Lawler from behind. Jimmy Del Ray see’s Lawler on the mat and covers him, Savinovich stops his distraction and the referee turns and makes the 3 count, giving Jimmy Del Ray a massive upset victory over Jerry Lawler. The King chases Savinovich to back, as Jimmy Del Ray celebrates what is clearly his biggest victory. We go to Charlie Platt and David Crockett who run this Mondays card when Ron Starr walks out to the announcers table, if Ken Lucas wants a match, he can have it. Let me make one thing very clear, I did what I did because back on the 8th of April when you cost me my Smoky Mountain title, so if Lucas wants a match, then I don’t want it just leaving Smoky Mountain Wrestling, I want Lucas to put his career on the line. Lucas comes storming out, you want me to put my career on the line you’ve got it, but yours is on the line too, Starr replies with saying that if he can’t retire Lucas on Monday then it’s not worth living let alone wrestling. The show ends with Ron Starr and Ken Lucas face to face.

=== Show Ends ===

24gswua.jpg

Monday 10th June 1985

Knoxville Civic Auditorium, Knoxville, TN

Bell Time 19:30

1. In a Block A match in the NWA Junior International Title Tournament, Jimmy Del Ray defeats Ken Timbs in 6 minutes with a back flip body attack from the top rope.

-

2. In a Block B match, Dean Malenko defeats Tony Falk in 4 minutes via submission using a half boston crab.

-

3. The Smoky Mountain Tag Team Champions The Orient Express (Saito and Akira) with Ron Wright defeat The Latin Lovers (Javier Cruz & Vinnie Valentino) in 12 minutes when Ron Wright distracted Javier Cruz and he turned and walked right into a superkick from Saito.

-

4. The Rich Cousins (Johnny & Davey) Owen Hart, Tim Horner and Scorpio defeat Fishman, Enquire Vera, David Taylor, Pat Rose and Steven Dunn in 13 minutes when Tim Horner hits a running forearm on Pat Rose and covers him for the 3 count.

-

5. In match 3 of the best of 7 series, in a 2 out of 3 falls match, The Rock N Roll RPM's (Mike Davis & Tommy Lane) defeat The Rock N Roll Express (Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson) 2 falls to zero. The first fall came when Tommy Lane pinned Robert Gibson with his ropes for extra leverage at 22 minutes. The winning fall came at 31 minutes when Ricky Morton had Mike Davis covered only for Tommy Lane to hit knee drop from the top rope to the back of the neck of Morton and Davis rolled him over and got the win for his team.

-

6. Smoky Mountain Heavyweight Champion Gama Singh and Boomer Lynch defeat Don Kernodle in 8 minutes, the 2 on 1 advantage was too much for Kernodle and he couldn't overcome the team of Singh and Lynch. Following the match, Singh and Lynch left Kernodle in the ring alone while he sat there with his head in his hands.

-

7. Jerry 'The King' Lawler defeated Abdullah The Butcher in 12 minutes when Hugo Savinovich went to stub his cigar out in Lawler face while Abdullah held onto him, only for Lawler to ducked and stubbed it on Abdullah, and Lawler held his hand there for it too really burn, The King then pinned The Butcher. Following the match Lawler grabbed a hold of Hugo Savinovich and gave him a big right hand and knocked him out.

-

8. In tonight's main event, in a career match, Ron Starr defeated Ken Lucas in 34 minutes to end Ken Lucas 20 plus year career. The match started off in rapid pace with both men trying not to win the match but to hurt the other, this was more of a fight than a wrestling match both men were cut open very little in the match. The end came when Ken Lucas slapped on the sleeper hold to Ron Starr, as it looked like Starr was about to pass out, he kicked himself of the turnbuckles and rolled back pinning Lucas's shoulders to the mat and the referee counted the 3. Lucas sat up in the middle of the ring after the bell, covered in blood in total shock, with Ron Starr laying next too him, also covered in blood but passed out from the sleeper holdhe was in moments before. Ken Lucas stood up as the crowd looked back in shock. Ron Starr won the match cleanly, but doesn't look like a winner, Lucas slowly staggers to the back, with his career over, while Ron Starr lays in pool of his own blood.