Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-03-20-Toryumon] CIMA & Sumo Fuji & Judo Suwa vs Magnum Tokyo & Masaaki Mochizuki & Genki Horiguchi

Loss

Outstanding sprint, maybe the most action-packed match we've seen so far from these guys. This was the Toryumon guys interpreting Michinoku Pro's glory days and doing a tremendous job of it while adding their own spin, with all six holding their own and giving strong performances. And the best part? Crazy Max finally lost a match! There were two minutes left on my file after this and I was hoping they weren't going to run in and get their heat back and they didn't, which was great! They needed to do a job right about now to keep things interesting, and they did it in a match type that a novice would probably think is far more typical in Toryumon than it really was. ****1/4

Another fun entry in this series. I liked this one as the emphasis was on Genki more than any of the other iterations we have seen so far. The other main feuds of Toryumon are still there in Tokyo vs CIMA and Fuji vs Mochi but they picked their spots well and left the lasting impression of Genki being elevated. This was similar to how some of the AJ 90's six mans did that with Misawa and Kawada. Ending paid off everything we saw before with Genki actually getting the sub on Fuji. I love Genki original gimmick with Surfin' USA blaring as he picked up the win. We get about half of this. ***1/2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This was very good from what we see. Unfortunately we are missing the first 6 minutes of this match. A lot of fast-paced action here with more focus on Horiguchi than we've seen in the Toryumon matches thus far. He is a far capable performer at this point in his career, but is not on the same level as CIMA, Fuji, and Mochizuki.

***3/4

• 4 months later...

Yeah this definitely seemed more like the back end of a regular trios match than an all out sprint. Although tbf that is what a Toryumon trios is. Besides the Korakuen match with Dragon Kid this was probably the Toryumon match I enjoyed the most so far. Genki was a ton of fun in this, just an absolute bundle of energy and charisma. I'm growing on CIMA too. I still don't really care about him as a wrestler but his over the top stooging is entertaining. Tons of fun.

• 2 months later...

This was another very good Toryumon multi man match to add to the bunch despite it being JIP.

This was worked similarly to the other Toryumon multi man matches, so you know it'd deliver.

Glad Genki got the win as he got beatdown pretty badly in the heat segment at the start and he's also the lesser ranked out of the bunch, so it at least gives him a boost.

***1/2

• GSR changed the title to [2000-03-20-Toryumon] CIMA & Sumo Fuji & Judo Suwa vs Magnum Tokyo & Masaaki Mochizuki & Genki Horiguchi