Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-03-20-WCW-Nitro] Hulk Hogan & Sid vs Jeff Jarrett & Scott Steiner

Loss

Sid starts off with a focused and seemingly sincere babyface promo. Very atypical for him, and very good. The setup for his turn on Hogan here, which is the big story here, is well done. We never got the payoff to this because there was yet another regime change in WCW before the next pay-per-view. Shouldn't Hogan know better than to tag with Sid by now? This is the second time this has happened. Okay tag match and Hogan continues to excite shrinking audiences -- going from recreating a 1995 feud with Luger to a 1994 feud with Flair to a 1992 feud with Sid.

I was so excited for this as Hogan in there with Jarrett and Steiner felt like two fresh feuds for him that maybe just maybe could have elevated them and made WCW not seem like such a blast from the past. Of course, Sid gets jealous because how dare Hogan clean house on the hot tag. One chokeslam later and we go from a played out Flair vs. Hogan feud that at least gave me some hope for the matches to Sid vs. Hogan which is DOA. Even Sid was starting to get some crowd pops and the crowd was chanting for him in this very match. How much a liability is Jimmy Hart becoming. Gets his arm broke by Luger and now this through a table. This started so well and ended so badly. WCW everybody. **1/2

• 3 months later...

The Harris Twins are accompanying Jarrett and Steiner for this. Hogan blocks a Jarrett hiptoss, unloads on him in the corner and gives him one of his own. Tag to Sid and a double clothesline. Jarrett gets his foot up to the charging Sid after a whip to the turnbuckle, however Vicious with a low blow when he goes for a double axe handle off the middle. Chokeslam, but Steiner is in to nail Sid in the back and put a halt to that. Steiner puts the boots to Sid and a great overhead throw/suplex. When Hogan complains about something, Steiner with a rather loud “f*ck you” whilst giving him the finger! Steinerline followed by an elbow drop for two. Whip to the corner and this time Sid is the one who gets his foot up and hot tags the Hulkster. Axe bombers to Jarrett and Steiner, ‘noggin knocker’ and Sid looks pissed that the crowd are chanting for Hogan and that he’s again taking all the glory. Big boot to Steiner and one for Jarrett. Hogan looks for the crowd’s approval and when he turns around about to drop the leg, he runs straight into Sid who grabs him around the neck. Mark Madden has seemingly reached a state of ecstasty with his “oh yeah, yeah, do it, do it big man, do it”. Chokeslam on Hogan, Sid covers him and referee Mickey Jay counts the three with the bell ringing to signify the end of the match.

Mark Madden telegraphs the turn from nigh on as soon as the action begins, and Christ is he annoying! Work, bar Hogan’s rough looking punches was fine, and the turn was the payoff from last night with Sid finally having enough of Hogan’s glory hunting and hogging of the limelight. The finish itself with one of the participants pinning his partner is right out of the Vince Russo playbook though, maybe someone knew he was due to start…

• 1 month later...

I thought Sid's babyface promo in the first part of this was surprisingly good. Jeff Jarrett felt outclassed by Sid when he came out and talked which is a pretty big indication of just how over his head Jarrett was in being pushed as a top guy. The match was fine although I kind of wanted more Scott Steiner/Hogan interaction although Hogan was probably making sure that was going to be as limited as possible.

The Sid turn just felt really stupid and out of nowhere, just a swerve for the sake of a swerve made even dumber by the ref counting Sid pinning Hogan and Jarrett and Steiner celebrating like they'd actually won something. This also makes it feel like the top of the card would be really heel heavy although I think everything pretty much got erased soon after this with the Bischoff/Russo era starting with a big reset button. I do kind of wish we'd have gotten a Sid vs. Hogan match on PPV in 2000, I don't think it would have been very good but I want to see it.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-03-20-WCW-Nitro] Hulk Hogan & Sid vs Jeff Jarrett & Scott Steiner