Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-03-25-MCW-TV] Jerry Lawler vs Curtis Hughes

Loss

The storyline is that Jericho sent Hughes to Memphis. They haven't been connected for months, so that's pretty funny. Typical Lawler vs big man match where Lawler gives the big guy most of the match. Okay match. They are setting up Lawler, Regal and Bull Pain as the top three guys in the territory in the post-match, which is a very interesting three for sure.

I didn't think much of this. Hughes is still in his Jericho Metallic gear and was given a good bit of time on top but wasn't able to do many things interesting. One clever spot was the powder being used but his sunglasses blocked it. Lawler wins and him and Regal and Bull Pain all circle each other which is neat and fun way to end the show. . . EXCEPT we cut backstage to the masked wrestler that is also in the 4 way championship match and he is acting scared. I hate ending a show on comedy like that. *1/2

• 2 weeks later...

Hughes with a big bodyslam and ‘The King’ already has a look of ‘what have I got myself into’ on his face. He’s struggling with Hughes’ power and when they have a ‘test of strength’, has to break it by drilling him with some lefts. Lock up and Lawler is driven back into the corner where Hughes starts to unload on him. A headbutt before dropping a knee on ‘The King’. Lawler ducks a clothesline but is met with a big boot for a two. He tries to fire back until an eye rake puts a stop to that. Hughes whips him into the corner and comes charging at him, however ‘The King’ moves out the way and he goes shoulder first into the turnbuckle. Lawler pulls down the strap (yup, still no reaction), peppers Hughes with lefts and then winds up the right that floors him. Side headlock and Hughes shoves ‘The King’ into the referee knocking him down. He pulls some powder out of his pocket but Lawler sees what’s coming, slaps upwards and it ends up in his own face. Due to the fact he’s wearing shades it has zero effect on him and he goes for a chokeslam. ‘The King’ with a kick to the groin, pilediver and he wakes the official so he can count the three. Post-match Steven Regal and Bull Pain enter the ring (as the other finalists in the MCW tournament) and the three of them face off.

A very simple story of Hughes being too big and strong for Lawler. Yes, we get our almost obligatory ref bump, but it didn’t look as contrived or hokey as recent ones in MCW. Clever finish with Hughes’ shades preventing the powder from blinding him. Probably one of the most ‘basic’ matches I’ve watched in the project, but this worked for me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This was very much your typical Lawler vs big man match and in a very shortened form for TV but I still enjoyed watching it. I really did like the finish and the face off at the end because it made me imagine a Jerry Lawler vs. Steven Regal match which could either be a lot of fun or a huge train wreck due to a clash of styles.

• 3 months later...

Always happy to see a Lawler vs big guy match. I don't care what the setting is, even if it's a dark quiet building like this, you give me Lance calling a Lawler match and I'm watching it. Some great lefts from Lawler, never gets old. I was listening to his podcast where his host asked him if he could ever help out in NXT and teach the kids how to throw punches, and Lawler says he doesn't know how he does it, he was never taught, he never practiced, it's just natural. Guy is a freak. Lawler taking a lot of bumps. Lance getting excited about a Lawler comeback, that'll never get old to me. Nothing great but solid, I'd say 51-year old Lawler having this match with Hughes is a positive notch in his GWE candidacy.

• 1 month later...

I thought this was by far the best MCW match we've seen this far even though I still haven't seen Reckless Youth vs. Bull Pain or Steven Regal vs. Blue Meanie.

I'll echo the sentiment about the brilliance of Hughes using his glasses to block the powder. Lawler's piledriver on Hughes was great too.

Fun Lawler vs. big man short TV match.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-03-25-MCW-TV] Jerry Lawler vs Curtis Hughes