Pro Wrestling Only

[2017-03-20-Stardom] Io Shirai vs Kairi Hojo

donsem43

This is for Io's World of Stardom title as Hojo was the last woman to pin Io in a singles match back in the 5*GP last year. It's also almost exactly two years to the day that Hojo beat Io for the then vacant title that started her rise in Stardom. I really like the opening sequences in the match as they established the Io was seemingly always a step ahead of Hojo. They also play off of their last match a fair bit as they tease the ganso bomb type move off of the apron a few times and Hojo takes control of the match by working over Io's back. I was surprised that the finish wasn't nearly as elaborate as you would expect between these two it came off as simple compared other big joshi title matches. Still this is a great match and most likely the end of their rivalry in Stardom at least, with Hojo stating that she wants it to go to the "next level." ****

World of Stardom Championship: Io Shirai © vs. Kairi Hojo

This was a great main event that played off of their previous matches via callbacks and counters. One of my favorite moments in the match is when Io's answer to Hojo's rapid-fire chops in the corner is simply, get this, walking out of the corner. Hojo isn't afraid to fight dirty in her quest to regain the belt, using the referee to break a submission and tying Io in the ropes with a Boston crab. Also loved the sub-plot of Io trying to hit the Ganso bomb again, which smoothly segues into other spots. Nothing feels 'out of place'. Io lands on Hojo's legs on the final moonsault, which kinda mars the finish. Great stuff, though. ****1/4

The first half of the match is dominated by Io, who does such a great job working over Kairi & being the cocky ace. Love it. Once Kairi starts to get more & more offense in, the match gets super intense & the sense of urgency was through the roof. Kairi's comebacks ruled. As did Io's selling during those - her selling was absolutely excellent. Amazing match. ****1/2

• 1 month later...

This was great. That moonsault off the entrance was in some ways one of the riskiest things I have seen in a long time. I liked Io teasing the piledriver on the apron to play off their previous match. And even though the moonsault finish landed on the legs I am fine with that because I think it still works as offense. ****1/2

• GSR changed the title to [2017-03-20-Stardom] Io Shirai vs Kairi Hojo