Pro Wrestling Only

[2017-03-11-AMIBITION 8] Jeff Cobb vs WALTER

Jetlag

For those of you who don't know: AMBITION is a pseudo-shootstyle tournament wXw runs once a year.

This was very good for what it was; WALTER clubbers Cobb, Cobb throws an absolutely hellish suplex and finishes with a nasty neck crank. The problem was that it went 2 minutes. Seriously, screw wXw for that shitty booking because this could have been great. Still, that Cobb suplex has to be seen.

The fundamental problem with your review is that you disregard the very promotional nature of AMBITION. It has only survived because they can now put it on as a sideshow attraction during a 3-4 day tournament weekend. Just check out the Hikaru Sato weekend to see how much of a financial debacle the double shot system could be (2 days, one day wrestling, the other AMBITION). Because of the placement of the show they now have established AMBITION as a complementary niche attraction for their tournaments. It is almost absurd to view the match length as a booking decision unrelated to the weekend as a whole. Also, you might even want to perceive this weakness rather as an advantage. Or do you prefer the more artificially stretched matchups like Rico Bushido vs Carnage? AMBITION has a completely different flow for a reason.

In the end your perception of AMBITION will to a degree boil down to the question if you have ever attended a whole tournament weekend live. I was at the very first event in 2010 with Daniel Bryan and could see a good percentage of the small crowd not being able to enjoy this concept at all. And I can't exactly blame them for that. What I can blame you for is your sub-par Blackmunk'ish review (you may now feel offended ;) )

What I can blame you for is your sub-par Blackmunk'ish review (you may now feel offended ;) )

Aw man, I'm not that bad.

I understand there are limitations for niche events like this. However, the tournament had 3 matches that went 6-10 minutes, and everything else was 5 minutes or below, with 1 match going exactly 1 minute and Cobb/Walter going 2 and a half. So the combined time of all the matches on this card was 40 MINUTES. That kind of thing is a joke even for a sideshow and it wouldn't have hurt to give some of these bouts 5-6 minutes more time. As the matches with Thatcher showed you can have a very good match in 6, 8 or 10 minutes. Plus, Cobb and WALTER are far superior workers compared to Carnage and Rico. But doing anything special in a 2 minute match is near impossible. So this match was just a tease and nothing more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • GSR changed the title to [2017-03-11-AMIBITION 8] Jeff Cobb vs WALTER