ThROH The Years: A ROH retrospective podcast

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#41 Hobbes

Hobbes
  • Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:56 PM

So, big announcement, with episode five the podcast has joined the Place 2 Be Nation podcast network! It's feed will be our new home from here on out and it's really cool to be joining so many other podcasts I listen to, including some with their own threads on this forum. The show will remain entirely the same, so that's either a threat or a promise, depending on how you feel about the show! We get into this near the top of today's episode but this has nothing to do with Cubs who is one of the nicest guys for giving us a place to exist in the first place. THANK YOU CUBS.

Oh, and we have our fifth episode up today! http://placetobenati...ning-a-champion ThROH The Years makes its Place To Be Nation debut! Each episode Matt and Trevor review a ROH show starting from the beginning. We open paying tribute to our old father Cubs and our new dad, PTBN/PWO, before reviewing Crowning a Champion! The literal hottest match in ROH history! A ton of blood! A lot of clipping! Multiple banana-based segments! We hope you enjoy it.​

#42 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 2792 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:49 PM

Welcome aboard!

#43 Karl

Karl
  • Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:46 AM

Working my way though the podcasts now and I am really enjoying them. RoH is a promotion I know next to nothing about, so getting a sense of the history is fantastic. Good work gents. 

#44 Hobbes

Hobbes
  • Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 04:59 PM

Thanks guys. Karl that's the first comment we've gotten from someone saying they don't really know anything about ROH, so that's really interesting to me and we're glad to have you on board this rickety train.

#45 El Dragon

El Dragon
  • Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 03:15 PM

As someone who considers Heyday RoH my real starting point in real wrestling fandom, just thank you for doing this show. Given me insentive to watch my old shows. Which, you know, screw you for reintroducing me to Donnie B, but otherwise thanka a bunch.

#46 Hobbes

Hobbes
  • Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:33 PM

As someone who considers Heyday RoH my real starting point in real wrestling fandom, just thank you for doing this show. Given me insentive to watch my old shows. Which, you know, screw you for reintroducing me to Donnie B, but otherwise thanka a bunch.

One more show. One more show.

#47 Zoo Enthusiast

Zoo Enthusiast
  • Members
  • 1213 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:58 PM

Can you have Gagne on? I miss Gagne. :(

#48 Laz

Laz
  • Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:50 PM

I should've realized the possible Relapse/Gabe connections as he and Lynn seem to have similar taste in music.

In addition, Relapse was one of the most popular metal/hardcore labels around that time (still are big, but not like they were then). Lynn definitely knew of them prior, and the crossover metalhead/wrestling fan audience almost unanimously loved Lynn.

#49 Hobbes

Hobbes
  • Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:39 PM

Can you have Gagne on? I miss Gagne. :(

Me and Matt have briefly talked about maybe having a guest on one day, and we threw out a couple ideas. I think Joe would definitely be on the short list. My concerns are after the first few episodes we've made an effort to try to keep the shows to two hours and change rather than three plus, and adding a guest would throw that out the window. Also, I know as a podcast listener, nothing bugs me more than when I tune into a podcast I love and they have some quest on that doesn't mesh and it disrupts the chemistry. I think there are guys like Joe that would fit in great though, but it's still something we'd have to consider. If it ever happens, we'd probably pick a show that has meaning to the guest, something they loved or were live for.

If you're jonsin' for that Joe though, I'll put out that Gagne is part of the podcasts Alan4L is doing at F4Wonline.com running down their top 50 ROH stars of all time. It'll cost you a month's subscription and they still have to record the final one, but if you want hours of Joe not just talking, but talking about ROH, that market is being served RIGHT THIS MINUTE.

#50 Hobbes

Hobbes
  • Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 10:18 PM

Less than two weeks apart and ThROH The Years is already back with episode six. WE'RE HALFWAY THROUGH 2002!

ThROH The Years is back for episode six! Matt and Trevor invade your ears as ROH Invades Boston! ROH’s first ever battle of the Briscoes! Low Ki beats the holy hell out of AJ Styles! We search for the inventor of the Canadian Destroyer! We bid the fondest of farewells to Donnie B and reveal who really didn’t like him!. Fourteen matches and we ain’t even sweating, hop on board this dry train!​

#51 Laney

Laney
  • Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:53 PM

I was pleasantly surprised with how the Briscoes match from Honor Invades Boston held up.  I remember loving it at the time, but I feared on rewatch that I would discover too many head drops and nearfalls (I think that may be more the case of their Best of the Best match).

Maybe I'm giving the booking too much credit here, but Steve Corino's commentary on Michael Shane (apathetic to Shane kicking Luscious and concern over his ankle) makes sense given where Michael Shane is heading.  I think it's in the December time frame that Michael Shane joins up with Corino's ill-fated and creatively named faction, The Group.  

#52 Hobbes

Hobbes
  • Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:19 AM

I was pleasantly surprised with how the Briscoes match from Honor Invades Boston held up.  I remember loving it at the time, but I feared on rewatch that I would discover too many head drops and nearfalls (I think that may be more the case of their Best of the Best match).

Maybe I'm giving the booking too much credit here, but Steve Corino's commentary on Michael Shane (apathetic to Shane kicking Luscious and concern over his ankle) makes sense given where Michael Shane is heading.  I think it's in the December time frame that Michael Shane joins up with Corino's ill-fated and creatively named faction, The Group.  

Yeah, I was a little scared about revisiting the Briscoes match too but I think because of the detail work they do it ends up aging really well.

What bugged me about the Corino commentary (And it's a minor problem in the grand scheme of things) is that Corino had been ragging on Rudy Boy since the start, and been praising Dragon since the start. I realize in terms of booking, Corino starts criticizing Dragon because he was booked against him in that match scheduled for Unscripted that was canceled, but it was still an abrupt about face. Corino hails Dragon as a great wrestler and all of a sudden he's calling him boring and he isn't really called out on it.

#53 Hobbes

Hobbes
  • Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:31 AM

Matt and Trevor are back to review ROH’s seventh show, Unscripted! A surprising title change provokes disagreement! Paul London makes himself a star! Dick Togo breaks a banana! Gary Michael Cappetta wandered in! Gabe realizes that a banner will not burn! All this and much more on the seventh episode of ThROH The Years!​

http://placetobenati...e-7-unscripted/

#54 Laney

Laney
  • Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:37 PM

I thought that Unscripted was one of the weaker shows up to this point.  I thought the same thing you guys did as far as this being booked strangely with the faces getting a bye and then throwing a temper tantrum after their loss.  

Really, the entire tournament was strange.  The semifinals are all guys that have never teamed in ROH before.  A first round match doesn't happen due to a team not appearing, yet you have plenty of tag teams on the card that could replace them, Carnage Crew, Special K, or even the Ring Crew Express.

I thought that the Natural Born Sinners were pulled out of this tournament on this show because Boogalou ditched ROH for XPW.  It sounds like there wasn't anything in the Observer or your notes that supported this since you were both confused as to why the Sinners were not on the card.

Are you planning on supplementing any of your viewings with stuff that was cut off the shows, but later released on the Uncensored DVD?  There's an awful ICP match on Glory By Honor show that the crowd just completely shits on.  It looks like that its on youtube if you don't have Uncensored. 

#55 Hobbes

Hobbes
  • Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:11 AM

I thought that Unscripted was one of the weaker shows up to this point.  I thought the same thing you guys did as far as this being booked strangely with the faces getting a bye and then throwing a temper tantrum after their loss.  

Really, the entire tournament was strange.  The semifinals are all guys that have never teamed in ROH before.  A first round match doesn't happen due to a team not appearing, yet you have plenty of tag teams on the card that could replace them, Carnage Crew, Special K, or even the Ring Crew Express.

I thought that the Natural Born Sinners were pulled out of this tournament on this show because Boogalou ditched ROH for XPW.  It sounds like there wasn't anything in the Observer or your notes that supported this since you were both confused as to why the Sinners were not on the card.

Are you planning on supplementing any of your viewings with stuff that was cut off the shows, but later released on the Uncensored DVD?  There's an awful ICP match on Glory By Honor show that the crowd just completely shits on.  It looks like that its on youtube if you don't have Uncensored. 

The Boogalou thing actually happens on the very next show, Glory By Honor. That's when XPW is running a show at the same time and offers a bunch of ROH roster members a lot of money to no show and work for them. Boogalou is the only guy who takes the offer, which is why at GBH Homicide has to work a tag scramble by himself.

The Uncensored thing is a good question. I don't have the DVD but like you, I saw that the ICP clip is on Youtube and have watched it. On the Uncensored stuff like ICP, Konnan, Jeff Hardy, Teddy Hart, I don't know for sure if we'll get to watch all of it, but I can promise it'll all be covered on the show as it comes up, at the very least.

#56 Laney

Laney
  • Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:55 PM

The Boogalou thing actually happens on the very next show, Glory By Honor. That's when XPW is running a show at the same time and offers a bunch of ROH roster members a lot of money to no show and work for them. Boogalou is the only guy who takes the offer, which is why at GBH Homicide has to work a tag scramble by himself.

The Uncensored thing is a good question. I don't have the DVD but like you, I saw that the ICP clip is on Youtube and have watched it. On the Uncensored stuff like ICP, Konnan, Jeff Hardy, Teddy Hart, I don't know for sure if we'll get to watch all of it, but I can promise it'll all be covered on the show as it comes up, at the very least.

Further research reveals you're right about Boogalou and Glory By Honor.

This is an interesting post I found on it at the time.  I find it most interesting that Izzy was one of the guys that XPW was gunning after.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Izzy's work, but it just seems kind of random.

http://www.socalunce...ted-talent-raid

#57 Hobbes

Hobbes
  • Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:02 PM

That's a great discovery and I'll be sure to use that (And credit you!) on the next episode. I hadn't heard about the ring gear, airfare and Izzy. I know that they were apparently offering guys who made 100 bucks 500, and that they offered Steve Corino a $1,000 just to do a run in on Shane Douglas. I think only 100 people would be interested in reading it but I would love an oral history on the early 2000s Philly indie wrestling wars. So much drama and a decade later that scene is gone.

#58 Hobbes

Hobbes
  • Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:35 PM

ThROH The Years is back and fully hydrated for episode eight! Matt and Trevor review ROH’s first ever Glory By Honor! Tons of promotion war intrigue! Spanky’s farewell! Samoa Joe makes his ROH debut in one of the stiffest matches in company history! Do you like meaningless gimmick matches where the winners don’t even want the gimmicks they just won? This show has three of them! Do you want water talk on your historical ROH podcast? Then quit reading and start listening!​

http://placetobenation.com/throh-the-years-episode-8-glory-by-honor/

#59 bradhindsight

bradhindsight
  • Moderators
  • 1554 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:55 AM

I've noted this before, but I *love* the fact we have the best chronological looks through promotions out there with Titans of Wrestling (WWWF->WWF), Place to Be (WWF->WWE), Where the Big Boys Play (NWA->WCW - it's not dead, I promise) and Ring of Honor. 

High quality stuff as always Hobbes.

#60 Hobbes

Hobbes
  • Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:21 PM

Thanks! That's super heady company to be in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users