Pro Wrestling Only

[1985-09-06-UWF] Nobuhiko Takada vs Super Tiger

Superstar Sleeze

Nobuhiko Takada vs Super Tiger - UWF 9/6/85

Four days after the infamous Maeda/Tiger shoot, which led to Maeda being fired and then UWF folding with all the stars invading New Japan, Super Tiger has his penultimate match for nearly ten years against Takada. I liked this a lot more than the subdued July match even though we are missing about six minutes of a 14 minute match. Both guys are just unloading with rifling kicks. After the clip, we see Takada catch Tiger in the head with one that causes him to take a count. Not to be outdone, Tiger catches with a jumping roundhouse kick to the midsection that doubles him over. Tiger was throwing butterfly suplexes and the struggle over Takada's throws was great. The kicks were just vicious in this match each trying to destroy the other and they were connecting. I thought Sayama the super shooter was coming out at times the way he easily reversed a cross armbreaker into a single leg crab stretched reality. For a short, portly, unassuming fellow, once Sayama starts kicking he comes across as a badass. There were some really hot, spirited kick exchanges between these two. I thought the last minute before the finish was kinda boring just Tiger laying on Takada with a headlock. It was good struggle, but it was not as hot as the rest of the match. Takada goes kicks, but Tiger catches him in a Human Capture Suplex and immediately applies legbar after some struggle he wins. Too much of the match missing to be considered great and thought the finish was not as hot as the kicking sequences. Loved the kicking though. ***1/4

• GSR changed the title to [1985-09-06-UWF] Nobuhiko Takada vs Super Tiger
  • 2 years later...

I have to wonder if there's legit heat between them due to Maeda getting shitcanned over the 9/2 match. Takada almost goes out of his way to try to make Sayama look bad here. When Sayama lands his first big kick to the gut, after Takada answers the ref's count, he just springs back to life as though he's fine. Takada does the same thing later, after they'd built up some nice heat with Sayama's single leg crab. Takada gets the ropes to break and then he just jumps back up and tries to take over. Hell, after Takada taps, he just gets up and walks to the corner. He couldn't even be bothered to sell the leg, and do the customary post match handshake with Sayama.