• Please log in to reply
252 replies to this topic

#21 stro

stro

legitshook.com

• Banned
  • 975 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:07 PM

If I didn't know better, I'd say this JBL fella is a bit of a jerk.

#22 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7421 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:22 PM

So we're just going to ignore that Mauro putting over the Observer awards directly shits on his broadcast partners who were voted #1 and #5 on the worst announcers list? I guess that wouldn't be a valid thing for JBL or Otunga to get hot about though.

#23 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43472 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:29 PM

When normal people are annoyed by such behavior, they roll their eyes or vent to a co-worker about it for a minute, then forget about it and move on with their day. I can't stand Mauro's announcing style and I can see the acknowledgment as condescending or aloof for the exact reasons goc mentioned, but this is the kind of thing that I don't understand people moving on from after two or three minutes. JBL strikes me as the co-worker who is constantly obsessed with what people put in the fridge in the breakroom and whether or not they washed their coffee cups when everyone else is just TRYING TO WORK.

#24 BrianB

BrianB
  • Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:37 PM

When normal people are annoyed by such behavior, they roll their eyes or vent to a co-worker about it for a minute, then forget about it and move on with their day. I can't stand Mauro's announcing style and I can see the acknowledgment as condescending or aloof for the exact reasons goc mentioned, but this is the kind of thing that I don't understand people moving on from after two or three minutes. JBL strikes me as the co-worker who is constantly obsessed with what people put in the fridge in the breakroom and whether or not they washed their coffee cups when everyone else is just TRYING TO WORK.

I doubt JBL likes to work as an announcer much anymore. He probably misses being the wrestlers court prosecutor.

#25 fakeplastictrees

fakeplastictrees
  • Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:48 PM

I don't know anyone with bi-polar, but reading it about it--it sounds like hell. This is what is so tricky about wrestling, we don't know what the hell is a work and what is a shoot and because of this people work themselves into a shoot and in even bizarre cases shoot themselves into a work. JBL can always fall back on the Hulk Hogan/Terry Bollea gimmick that was used during the trial. Is the JBL asshole we see/hear on TV the real deal or just a guy playing a character? When/if he is backstage talking shit is he just working or is it a shoot? Does he take the work and realize there is some money and fakes a shoot and somehow (through his own will indirectly) it becomes a full blown shoot? It would be really fucked up if Mauro was worked into another attack as that means he is one of the biggest marks in the company and JBL is the biggest carny without a cause since Hogan.

What is the end game here? How should mental disorders be treated in pro wrestling?

#26 The Thread Killer

The Thread Killer

The Canadian Wildman

• Members
  • 1054 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 12:22 AM

God damn that bullying asshole JBL for doing what every heel color commentator does and razzing the babyface announcer he's working with. If you're gonna go on this crusade please cite specific examples with exact quotes of what you think JBL said that crossed the line.

Let's not forget that JBL has a history with this type of stuff.  Even if you want to ignore the JBL stories that have been proven as true, like the infamous Blue Meanie incident, remember that JBL thought it would be funny to relentlessly pick on Joey Styles backstage until Styles snapped and knocked JBL out cold.

Since Meltzer is actually friends with Mauro Ranallo, I'd think his reporting would likely be accurate on this story, never mind the fact that there is every reason to believe that JBL would bully somebody into a mental breakdown.

I can't even stand Mauro Ranallo, and I'm glad he's off the air, but it sounds like JBL needs to be knocked out again.

#27 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43472 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:10 AM

The Young Bucks did recently say that, "The old, carny, petty tricks of yesterday do not belong today," which probably leaves JBL feeling a bit homeless.

#28 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8859 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:22 AM

Office stooge, corporate kiss-ass and petty bully who got knocked out by Bart Gunn. And Joey Styles. That's JBL's legacy, basically.

#29 stro

stro

legitshook.com

• Banned
  • 975 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:04 AM

I'm sure that his 20+ year career in WWE will definitely be boiled down to "He got punched by Joey Styles". 

#30 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8859 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:15 AM

It should.

Well, I did like Justin Hawk up to the Blackjack days.

His JBL stuff was mostly boring as fuck inside the ring. Well, he should also be remembered as the biggest piece of luggage to ever have a legit MOTYC thanks to Eddie, too.

#31 stro

stro

legitshook.com

• Banned
  • 975 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:36 AM

A lot of people the wrestling industry should be more remembered for being shitty people more than anything else, but that's rarely the case. Even killing someone doesn't always 100% ruin your reputation if you had some good fake fights. JBL is definitely not going to be remembered for being a bully or getting hit by Joey Styles.

#32 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8859 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:20 AM

You're probably right.

By me he will though. And that's all that matters, to me, really.

The opinion of a sea of sheeps and idiots, I never cared much for. (disclaimer : I'm not talking about people on this board. I mean, not most of them anyway)

Bi-polar disorder is a terrible thing to have. I'll just say that. No fun for you and people close to you.

#33 Bierschwale

Bierschwale
  • Members
  • 1059 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:25 AM

It should.

Well, I did like Justin Hawk up to the Blackjack days.

His JBL stuff was mostly boring as fuck inside the ring. Well, he should also be remembered as the biggest piece of luggage to ever have a legit MOTYC thanks to Eddie, too.

The Cena JD '05 match is an all-timer but hey whatever.

JBL IS an asshole but BPD is incredibly complicated and knowing people with it my entire life, it's not at all something from which people JUST get triggered into a breakdown. The solution, whether JBL SHOULD just be fired for a litany of reasons, isn't simply firing him and acting like that's that.

#34 Childs

Childs
  • Moderators
  • 4437 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:17 AM

I do think a substantial part of JBL's rep is that he's a dickhead obsessed with protecting antiquated traditions of "the business."

If he were a baseball player, he surely would have said something angry and quasi-racist about Latino players celebrating during the recent WBC. 

#35 artDDP

artDDP
  • Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:45 AM

Taking a scroll through Mauro's Twitter you can see he was trying to provoke JBL over the Observer award.  As noted previously, Vince probably gets a real kick out of JBL bullying the guy with a mental disorder.  Don't forget how much WWE hates anyone under their employ seeming like a mark.

#36 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7421 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:30 PM

I'm not sure how being in WWE and bragging about your Wrestling Observer Newsletter award WOULDN'T make you seem like a mark.

#37 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10258 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:54 PM

I'm not sure how being in WWE and bragging about your Wrestling Observer Newsletter award WOULDN'T make you seem like a mark.

That's more or less his gimmick though. I do think you have a point about the fact his colleagues got voted worst.

#38 Johnny Sorrow

Johnny Sorrow
  • Members
  • 4489 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:28 PM

I still say the whole JBL thing is a smokescreen. What made Mauro go off the rails was having heir apparent Tom hovering over him like a handsome vulture. 😀
And looking back you can see a few things. Like at Elimination Chamber where he call ed the show the wrong name twice, and while JBL and Otunga ribbed him nicely about it, Mauro on air yells "DAMMIT!"

And we can drop all this " JBL is racist" bullshit. If you've seen his Legends show its very clear he isn't. He even basically pointed out to Micheal Hayes that the confederate flag is offensive and represents hatred and bigotry.

#39 Childs

Childs
  • Moderators
  • 4437 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:03 PM

I still say the whole JBL thing is a smokescreen. What made Mauro go off the rails was having heir apparent Tom hovering over him like a handsome vulture. 😀
And looking back you can see a few things. Like at Elimination Chamber where he call ed the show the wrong name twice, and while JBL and Otunga ribbed him nicely about it, Mauro on air yells "DAMMIT!"

And we can drop all this " JBL is racist" bullshit. If you've seen his Legends show its very clear he isn't. He even basically pointed out to Micheal Hayes that the confederate flag is offensive and represents hatred and bigotry.

I don't think he's racist. But he seems--and who really knows the truth--fixated on upholding outdated traditions. That's what I meant with the baseball comment. I don't think Ian Kinsler is racist either. But he, like many, ballplayers, can't let go of a way of thinking that should have died in 1970.

#40 stro

stro

legitshook.com

• Banned
  • 975 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:09 PM

Yeah obviously there was something going on when they had Tom at the table doing the run down spots while Mauro looked like he wanted to die whenever Tom spoke. There was certainly some kind of message being sent to Mauro just by having Tom out there. Whether that means they weren't happy with him or didn't trust him or were worried that he was going to go off the rails is anyone's guess.

To me, as someone with two manic depressives in the family, it seems like he's been in a manic phase for the past 2 years straight, working an insane schedule that there's no way he could keep up forever. A guy with his penchant for heavy, heavy crashes was bound to crash again when he's doing WWE, Showtime, NBC, podcast, social media even if he was working with super nice people around him all the time. I have to imagine that was taken into consideration as a possibility when he got hired considering he's missed shows for other organizations for the same reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users