Mauro and JBL

• Please log in to reply
252 replies to this topic

#41 joeg

joeg
  • Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:22 PM

That's Dave's writing style though. He wouldn't put anything in the newsletter, especially about someone he considers a friend, unless he was sure it was 100% correct.  

That is his style- wild irresponsible speculation reported as fact. The way he writes citing un named sources, making wild speculation and reporting rumors as fact would get any real journalist shit canned, but he's writing about wrestling so his carny nonsense is accepted as gospel.

#42 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 8973 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:34 PM

Wait, what? "Real journalists" don't use unnamed sources? What alternate universe am I living in?

#43 joeg

joeg
  • Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:41 PM

Dan Rather's career ended because from using a single unreliable source and not verifing the information with an on the record source or authenticating the information that was given to him. That is essentially what Meltzer does with everything he writes- unverified, unsubstained rumors reported as proven fact.

#44 C.S.

C.S.
  • Members
  • 1767 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 06:15 AM

I've heard rumblings that Tom Phillips politicked his way into the Smackdown spot and is very political in general. I remember Rich Brennan's wife taking a shot at Phillips over just that after Brennan was fired.

ChPCSO2UcAA8xzM.jpg

(Screencap because she erased the tweet eventually.)

From Brennan himself:

"Tom's a good announcer. He was competitive from day 1. He was in NXT before I was. Whatever the rumors are, I don't have any issues with Tom. There are politics involved in every business, and it's not something I got involved in. I went to work, did what I was told, did the best I could and tried to elevate people around me. I never tried to tie anybody down. As far as with Tom, I don't know if Tom has the power to determine if I was there. Maybe he does, I don't know."

http://www.wrestling...ipted-segments/

As for JBL, this all feels like wild speculation. His "Bring It to the Table" rant was kind of bizarre, but it didn't feel entirely serious to me. Who knows though. Obviously, it's hard to give him the benefit of the doubt considering his past history with Meanie, Styles, Lance Storm, etc.

Anyway, there's a very easily solution to all of this: In the next draft, move Mauro over to Raw as Cole's replacement (since Cole has talked about wanting to step away from the booth and take on a behind-the-scenes role). Of course, I doubt Vince will ever "trust" Mauro to be the "face" of the announce table after missing WrestleMania because he was "too weak" to "conquer" his "pesky" mental health issues.

#45 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7352 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 07:22 AM

Or Vince not really having trust in Mauro to be THE voice of WWE could be because he's not really very good and isn't what they want in their announcer as evidenced by the fact they put Tom Phillips on Smackdown to introduce all the video packages or talk about stuff on the Network or Total Divas.

#46 Bix

Bix
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 6236 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:29 AM

Dan Rather's career ended because from using a single unreliable source and not verifing the information with an on the record source or authenticating the information that was given to him. That is essentially what Meltzer does with everything he writes- unverified, unsubstained rumors reported as proven fact.

JFC.

Let's give a recent example: Should I have not reported that TNA was getting employees to put travel costs on personal credit cards because nobody at TNA would give an on the record comment?

Should I have not reported that Hogan and Gawker had agreed to a settlement because nobody was giving an on the record comment for a few more hours?

That's literally not how this works.

Specific to Mauro: Even before we get to Dave, it was already pretty clear what happened based on what Bas Rutten was tweeting. Bas is Mauro's podcast co-host as well as one of his best friends, who he literally credits with SAVING HIS LIFE by getting him the Pride FC job when he was in a bad place mentally. Frank Shamrock, who is Mauro's best friend and manager, is also Dave Meltzer's best friend. Mauro and Dave have been friends for years. This is one case where it would be absolutely mind boggling to question Dave's reporting.

#47 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 8973 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:33 AM

You know, I've been waiting for someone to stick it to those Woodward & Bernstein fucks, who clearly don't know anything about on-the-record sources being the bastion of real journalists.

#48 Childs

Childs
  • Moderators
  • 4392 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 03:14 PM

Dave using unnamed sources is not a problem, but he is very loosey goosey about attribution in a way that would not be tolerated at most mainstream publications. I don't think it's at all fair to say he practices "wild irresponsible speculation." But he gives his critics ammunition with his sloppy presentation.

#49 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43381 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 06:29 PM

Right, it's rare that you actually see him quote someone anonymously, or say "according to phone calls with those in Creative" or something along those lines. I mean, we all know that, but that stuff would be mandatory at a mainstream outlet in some form. Still, I think he's highly credible and the last 30+ years have proven that time and time again.

#50 Log

Log
  • Members
  • 898 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 07:59 PM

Reporting on wrestling is like reporting on organized crime. You have to be very careful with your sources. You out someone and you may have seriously harmed their career. Reporters in all walks have to protect sources. I'd say that's very true with Meltzer.

#51 Childs

Childs
  • Moderators
  • 4392 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:58 AM

Dave took a much stronger stance going after JBL and the company's bullying culture in this week's issue. 

#52 DMJ

DMJ
  • Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:12 PM

Haven't read the original source material, but someone on Reddit posted notes from Justin Roberts' book regarding JBL. Basically, "mauro" the same - JBL is a bully whose "razzing" borders on sociopathy. 

Also, just thinking of the guys who have had the most to say about JBL vs. those that are his friends - JBL does seem to have a pattern of picking on "weaker" newcomers like Roberts, Styles, and Miz - while I'm guessing JBL didn't try that shit with Eddie or Brock or even any of the second-geners because, like most bullies, its much, much easier to just pick on those that can't defend themselves or have any allies. 

Can we start a "JBL is a Vile Piece of Human Garbage" thread or can that honor only be bestowed on JR? I feel like we could fill a few pages worth of examples of him being a scumbag.

#53 Fando

Fando
  • Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:18 PM

Haven't read the original source material, but someone on Reddit posted notes from Justin Roberts' book regarding JBL. Basically, "mauro" the same - JBL is a bully whose "razzing" borders on sociopathy. 

Also, just thinking of the guys who have had the most to say about JBL vs. those that are his friends - JBL does seem to have a pattern of picking on "weaker" newcomers like Roberts, Styles, and Miz - while I'm guessing JBL didn't try that shit with Eddie or Brock or even any of the second-geners because, like most bullies, its much, much easier to just pick on those that can't defend themselves or have any allies. 

Can we start a "JBL is a Vile Piece of Human Garbage" thread or can that honor only be bestowed on JR? I feel like we could fill a few pages worth of examples of him being a scumbag.

True. On the other hand, Marc Henry ate a sandwich someone in the locker room snuck a turd into. You could start an entire thread on WWE hazing culture going back decades. Like Dave wrote, this is a top-down problem.

#54 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 10266 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:36 PM

He made clear to point out how tight JBL is with Vince and how his bullying can be (and one assumes *is*) seen as authorized by Vince to weed out the "weak". 

#55 Strummer

Strummer
  • Members
  • 4064 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:05 PM

not a good day with WWE and former employees who have just released books.  AJ Lee revealed she was taken off the road in 2012 for 2 months for turning down a storyline that would spoof her real life battle with bi polar disorder.  They were going to shoot a vignette where she would "black out" and make out with a leprechaun (presumably Horny) and "dinosaurs" (presumably Brodus and Tensai)

#56 stro

stro

legitshook.com

• Banned
  • 975 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:42 AM

not a good day with WWE and former employees who have just released books.  AJ Lee revealed she was taken off the road in 2012 for 2 months for turning down a storyline that would spoof her real life battle with bi polar disorder.  They were going to shoot a vignette where she would "black out" and make out with a leprechaun (presumably Horny) and "dinosaurs" (presumably Brodus and Tensai)

She was already doing the crazy chick angle, I don't think it's a stretch to take that further. Also I'm pretty sure she didn't reveal to the office that she was bipolar, so they were just taking the storyline to the extreme. There's always plenty to blame WWE for, but I don't think "they were trying to spoof her real mental issues" is one of them. Although the best they could come up for her being "crazy chick who jumps from man to man" is not really that much better. 

I was more interested in how much of a creep she described her now husband as. A dude with rage issues who became "obsessed" with her because they kissed on screen and eventually wore her down after a year of turning him down. And then they got married. People seem to be talking about the top guy who aggressively courted her but was nice about the rejection and not that Punk refused to take no for an answer for a year until she gave in. That's the kind of shit that gets you fired at a real job. Especially if it's a job where you stand in your underwear next to the person you're refusing to take a no from.

#57 brocklock

brocklock
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:07 AM

JBL also hazed WCW referee Billy Silverman until he quit the company in late 2001. This has been going on for nearly twenty years without anyone batting an eye.

#58 Magnum Milano

Magnum Milano
  • Members
  • 1733 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:05 AM

JBL also hazed WCW referee Billy Silverman until he quit the company in late 2001. This has been going on for nearly twenty years without anyone batting an eye.

Palmer Canon was another; flew himself home during a European tour after being continually harrassed by JBL.  I remember Meltzer writing something in the Observer about how Canon had gone through Deep South making low money, and here he was on a European tour which would have given him the biggest payday of his career and he quit on it (and the company) sick of the abuse and grief he was getting.

#59 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8720 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:45 AM

WWE is basically a company run by sociopaths. I loved Dave answering the "Why do they lie about attendance number when they do a sold-out anyway ?" question by "Some people lie because they are just fucking liars !". I hope some day, someone just expose all the bullshit that takes place over there and that these people finally get theirs. The fact JBL is still employed is absolutely ridiculous. 

#60 Herodes

Herodes
  • Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:52 AM

Linda's new boss praised JBL in a tweet for agreeing with him a few days ago. The McMahons likely value that more than anything else that happened over the weekend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users