Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-04-01-MPPW-TV] Deon Harlem & Rob Harlem & Seven & Lance Jade & Havok vs Ali & Derrick King & Blade Boudreaux & Alan Steel & Moondog Spot (Evening The Odds)

Loss

This is War Games Rules in the sense that a new guy comes in more than it is that there's a cage, but it's still a cool concept smack in the middle of a Saturday morning war for TV viewers. This doesn't really work without better production, a way for the crowd to countdown to new entrants and some focused heel attacks to set up saves. This was a lot of just aimless action that wasn't really all on the same page. I appreciated the novelty of this, but I don't think it worked. Ali really does seem like a superstar, though. Closer to a Royal Rumble I guess, but without the eliminations. Great heat as it went on, and wild studio action, so it has its positives. Just didn't quite work for me.

I couldn't get into this. WarGames or Royal Rumble type matches are going to be punch and kick affairs so it really matters if enough people can do interesting things or bleed enough to make it worthwhile. This did neither although King and Lance Cade had good showings. This kind of showed how the roster in MCW is much more appealing to me on paper. The announce booth also was used a ton in this one. PPW prevails. **

• 2 months later...

This didn't work at all. It reminded me of that Rumble match from Wildside. Just too many people in too small of place. Also, way too much Rob harlem and his tiny gear. Power Pro had some decent talent like Derrick King, Ali, Lance Jade and Allan Steel but they had a lot of crap talent too. MCW was kicking Power pro's ass around this time so it's not surprising that they teamed up a couple months later.

• 3 weeks later...

C.B. Wyatt-Hales is out at the start of the show and claims that his ‘dad’, Randy Hales, has fallen back in love with his Mother, is with her now and has appointed him as the new President of Power Pro Wrestling. As ‘President’, he announces that Ali will defend his PPW title against Brandon Baxter’s Cartel in a 5 on 1 match. Almost as soon as he’s announced that, Randy Hales arrives in the studio, says that he’s in charge and is ripping up C.B.’s show format. He’s fed up of all the 5 on 1, the 10 on 1, so at the end of the show today they will have an ‘Evening the Odds Ten Man Brawl’ between Team Power Pro Wrestling and The Cartel (basically War Games without the cage). There will be three advantage matches thoughout the show and which ever team wins two of those will have the advantage in the main event.

In the advantage matches, Seven beats ‘All That’ Alan Steel, Ali ties it up getting a victory over Lance Jade and finally Rob Harlem defeats Derrick King to give The Cartel the advantage.

Deon Harlem of the Regulators and Derrick King start this one with a new man scheduled to join the fray every minute. Seven is the second man for The Cartel and a high double press slam on King. They don’t really make much of their advantage as Deon spends most of the sixty seconds shouting instructions to Seven and telling him what to do. Blade Boudreaux is followed by the other member of the Regulators, Rob Harlem, and he looks like an unpainted Kamala with his (lack of) physique. The crowd come alive for the entrance of Ali who takes it straight to The Cartel. Lance Jade is next only to immediately get backdropped over the top rope and out onto his team mates who were regrouping on the floor. Ali press slams King and throws him onto The Cartel and a flip dive of his own as everyone is now fighting on the outside. Alan Steel, Havok and Moondog Spot round out the participants. Rob with a DDT to King on the platform by the announcer’s desk whilst Spot is waffling Jade with the trash can. Ali hits Rob with the wooden ring steps, but he gets some revenge, absolutely leathering Boudreaux with a chair. Spot’s nailing everyone in sight with the trash can, before raplacing that with a chair and carrying on his attack. King with a superkick to Rob Harlem and then one to Havok. Alan Steel comes off the top with a splash on Havok and Team PPW are victorious. The Cartel jump Havok after the match holding him responsible for the loss, with each of them giving him their finisher and continue to beat on him as the show goes off the air.

I thought this was smartly booked. The heel side aren’t that good, but structuring King, Ali and Spot to come in at one, three and five for the faces meant that if there was a lull (and the match was struggling before the arrival of Ali) the crowd would quickly pick back up. This was a bit all over the place, and some blood would certainly have helped things and not made the match seem like it was just hitting each other with whatever objects were at hand. Still it was fairly wild action (especially after Ali arrived and the more I see the more I’m surprised WWE never took a shot on him) and I think I enjoyed it more than everyone else judging by the comments.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-04-01-MPPW-TV] Deon Harlem & Rob Harlem & Seven & Lance Jade & Havok vs Ali & Derrick King & Blade Boudreaux & Alan Steel & Moondog Spot (Evening The Odds)