Pro Wrestling Only

What are your thoughts on making Wrestlemania a 2 day event?

rzombie1988

Why would the have to drop nxt?

Friday evening NXT

Saturday afternoon HOF

Saturday evening WM, Night 1

Sunday evening WM, Night 2

They could even have Night 1 Smackdown and Night 2 Raw to keep the brand split seeming important.

HOF on Saturday Afternoon right before Mania wouldnt work at all. The speeches would have to be cut short to under 10 minutes to avoid an overrun (to say nothing of the inductors speeches), and it would have to be held in the same building as WM. Plus, none of the current roster (at least not the ones competing on night 1) would be able to attend as they'd be too busy getting ready for their matches that night. The only option I could see working is holding it on Friday morning and making it part of Axxess.

Could they sell out a 70k arena in back to back nights?

It depends. Are they going to charge the same amount that you would have to pay this year for 2 nights in a row? Asking wrestling fans to pay $170 (my price of tickets) on two straight nights for maybe a 3 hour show is going to be a major undertaking. Because trying to make a 4 hour show two nights in a row can't happen unless you have 10 minute matches going 30 minutes or add a bunch more Pitbull concerts

For a two night event, it would be better to run in a 40K or 50K arena but since Wrestlemania is all about BIG BIG BIG that doesn't work anymore

The one major advantage of this for the WWE would be a serious kick to the nuts on those 117 other events that happen this weekend. You aren't choosing a between 2 or 3 8:00 - 12:00 shows if you know there is going to be a Wrestlemania show that night.

Something that crossed my mind a while ago. Is there merit to putting part of the preshow AFTER the main event? Casual fans could up and leave to beat traffic. Hardcores could stick around the extra hour and see the lesser names they like. And the crowd wouldn't be as burnt for the main event.

Something that crossed my mind a while ago. Is there merit to putting part of the preshow AFTER the main event? Casual fans could up and leave to beat traffic. Hardcores could stick around the extra hour and see the lesser names they like. And the crowd wouldn't be as burnt for the main event.

I think in that case the PPV crowd would be more upset about it than the live crowd. And then there's the whole "main event isn't the main event/we have five 'main event matches' for you tonight" argument that always gets brought up.

On twitter where I follow a lot of people who went this year, I haven't seen any "WrestleMania was too long" complaints from anyone who was actually in the crowd at Mania. They give you breaks to go get something to eat, go to the bathroom, etc & not really miss anything (even if everyone REALLY loves to complain about the yearly musical act, that's probably a big reason it's there) so this whole question seems to be based around some people watching it at home not wanting to sit there and watch for 7 hours straight. The great thing about that is, you don't have to.

WrestleMania immediately goes on demand as soon as it's over, so if you watch the first 2-3 hours and you're getting burnt out just stop watching and go back and watch the rest of the show later. I honestly couldn't even imagine having tried to watch this year's show live because I actually quite enjoyed it this year but I also didn't watch any video packages and skipped most entrances so spent far less actual time watching it even if I still saw the whole show.

I think it being an all-day thing is part of the appeal. For a fair amount of viewers, it is their one night of wrestling for the year. I do not keep up with football but I watch the Superbowl every year. I do not think I would attend both days of a two-day Superbowl party though.

I think there are definitely more opportunities to increase business by expanding the weekend activities for Rumble, Summerslam, etc. rather than cannibalize Wrestlemania. As others have noted, the weekend is already pretty packed between Axxess, NXT, HOF, Raw, Smackdown and who knows how many other events I'm overlooking. There's only one big event. Much easier to build around that capstone than try to break it down.