Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto, ON

aerial.gif

-Nick Bockwinkel beat Billy Robinson (w/Sherri Martel) in 11:56

-Larry Zbyszko beat Rip Oliver (w/Sherri Martel) in 12:58

-Terry Taylor (w/Sherri Martel) beat The Missing Link in 7:38

-Dory Funk Jr beat Butch Miller in 11:01

-Ricky Morton beat Sheik Ali (w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) in 10:08

-Samu (w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) beat Robert Gibson in 13:07

NWA World Tag Team Championship: The Rougeau Brothers beat Frenchy's Legion (w/Frenchy Martin) in 19:31 to retain

10-Men Elimination Tag Team Match: The Bolshevik Revolution, Steve Strong & NWA International Heavyweight Champion Terry Funk beat Bob Backlund, The Wild Samoans & The Hart Brothers (Owen & Keith) in 83:39 with Terry Funk being the sole survivor for his team.

Order of Elimination

-Steve Strong

-Keith Hart

-Boris Zhukov

-Afa

-Owen Hart

-Baron Von Raschke

-Alexis Smirnoff

-Sika

-Bob Backlund

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit that I find your promotion that hardest to predict and that is a good thing. I do have two questions .... Were the ROck N Roll Express ever big in Canada and if so wouldn't you benefit more by keeping them together. They were so a huge draw together in the Southern U.S. that they could make a bad card good. Also, were you using Bockwinkle vs Robinson in the opener just to get the fans into it or are they towards the bottom of your roster due to age?

As always, I truly enjoyes the show and with this project being worldwide it has greatly increased my knowledge of 1985 but also how different wrestling is around the world.

To my knowledge, because the Rock N' Roll Express never really wrestled in Canada (at least, not to my knowledge), I don't think that they were a huge draw like Ric Flair was because he was a traveling champion. So, in that aspect, I didn't think that it was a big deal for me to have them work singles, considering that Morton worked his fair shares of singles matches in 1986 as I remember.

As for Bock vs Robinson, strictly was to pump up the crowd from the start ;)

April 19th, 1985

Centre Paul-Sauvé, Montréal

-NWA World Tag Team Champion Jacques Rougeau beat Baron Von Raschke in 14:38

-Richard "Le Magnifique" Charland (w/Frenchy Martin) upsets NWA International Tag Team Champion Rick Martel in 16:26

-The Great Kabuki (w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) beat Afa in 2:54 after interference from Nord the Barbarian

-The Sensationals (Billy Robinson & Terry Taylor) vs The Missing Link & The Spoiler is a no-contest after The Sensationals beat down the Link before the Spoiler even made it to the ring. In fact, The Spoiler was nowhere to be seen during the beatdown...

NWA International Heavyweight Championship: Terry Funk beat Bob Backlund in 12:57 to retain

NWA World Heavyweight Championship: Ric Flair beat Dory Funk Jr in 13:20 to retain

NWA International TV Championship: NWA International Tag Team Champion Gino Brito beat Super Strong Machine #1 in 16:25 to retain

Lutte would definitely be the purest favourite with some of the guys put on show here, Robinson, Dory, Terry, Flair and Bock not to mention Martell and the Rougueas. Great work, Ill be looking forward to when you introduce the Pure Title, 18 years earlier than ROH did with this crew...

NWA Lutte Internationale TV

Taped at CHLT-TV Studios, Sherbrooke, QC

Broadcasted April 20th, 1985

dieu.jpg220px-Nwalogobw.jpg

(After the opening credits, we go to the broadcast booth where awaits Guy Hauray & Édouard Carpentier to start this week’s episode)

Guy Hauray: Happy Saturday, wrestling fans, and welcome to this week’s edition of NWA Lutte Internationale TV. As we’re inching closer to the 2nd Johnny Rougeau Memorial Cup in less than a week, some individuals are trying to get an advantage early – at least, those in the tournament – while others want to send a message. In our feature event this week, Eddie, we’ll see The Spoiler go one-on-one with Eddy Creatchman’s Scandinavian assassin, Nord the Barbarian!

Édouard Carpentier: Yes, indeed, this should be really interesting as a matchup. The Spoiler has a boatload of experience in the ring while Nord the Barbarian can counter that with the devious mind of his manager, Eddy “The Brain” Creatchman. You never know what to expect from the Brain!

Guy Hauray: Yes, The Brain always has something up his sleeve as his connections around the world are limitless. Speaking of around the world, we’d like to officially welcome Smokey Mountain Wrestling in the big National Wrestling Alliance family. We’re looking forward to see some of their fine athletes in action in the NWA, especially here!

Édouard Carpentier: And it could very well happen. We can look at the current Smokey Mountain Tag Team Champions & Smokey Mountain Heavyweight Champion, members of the Karachi Puraas, and I’m fairly certain that those men will probably get in touch with Eddy Creatchman, sooner rather than later!

Guy Hauray: I guess we’ll have to see about that but first, we have one half of the Midnight Express in action in Randy Rose!

Match #1

Gino Dellaserra vs Randy Rose (w/Dennis Condrey & Jim Cornette)

As hard as he tried, Gino Dellaserra was absolutely no match for Randy Rose. However, Ravishing Randy decides to extend Gino Dellaserra’s torture for a couple more minutes. Randy Rose finishes things off with a Diving Fist Drop to secure the victory.

Winner: Randy Rose

(After the match, Jim Cornette heads to the broadcast booth with his Midnight Express. Édouard Carpentier steps in front of the broadcast booth to interview them.)

Édouard Carpentier: Congratulations to Randy Rose on his victory this week as an important match awaits your protégé, Jim Cornette. Tomorrow night at the Centre Paul-Sauvé in Montreal, Randy Rose will challenge Terry Funk for the NWA International Heavyweight Championship. We’ve seen Randy come very close in multiple occasions to cause the upset. Do you think, Jim, that Randy can pull it off tomorrow night?

Jim Cornette: Right now, the only one being upset is me because you’re questioning Ravishing Randy’s ability to become champion. And I don’t like that! You see, ever since the Rougeaus won the NWA World Tag Team Titles, they have been avoiding us. We’ve asked time after time after time for those stinkin’ yellow-belly coward Rougeau Brothers to give us what’s rightfully ours. Yet, I see time and time again that the Sheepherders are getting title shots; I see the Wild Samoans getting title shots. I see Sherri’s cheap Midnight Express knockoffs she calls her Sensationals getting title shots. Where is our title shot? But that’s OK, because this gave both Loverboy Dennis and Ravishing Randy a chance to prove their worth in singles competition and as you’ve seen in the past couple of weeks and months, Mr. Carpentier, both of them have proven that they can hang with anyone in the NWA, whether it’s here or elsewhere. Randy Rose stepped into the ring with Ric Flair and pushed him to his limits. Randy has already stepped into the ring with Terry Funk and he did the same. Tomorrow night, it’ll be the night. Terry Funk, you might be the most powerful man in the NWA after Ric Flair but this will all change when Randy Rose takes that title away from you. And I can assure you that my Midnight Express will not be ignored any longer!

Édouard Carpentier: But, Jim, if I may, should Randy fall short tomorrow night...and given the situation of the tag team division here in Lutte Internationale, what are you gonna do if there isn’t any gold around the waist of your Midnight Express?

Jim Cornette: Make no mistake about it, old man, the world of professional wrestling is large enough for Jim Cornette & The Midnight Express to make their marks and hold gold anywhere. If the Rougeaus want to avoid us, we’re gonna have to make sure that we’ll get noticed. You see, perhaps that those daddy’s boys believe that Loverboy Dennis & Ravishing Randy aren’t important enough to even consider giving them an opportunity. Well, that’s their prerogative. But the day will come when the Midnight Express will capture gold and it might not be here but then, Frank Valois and the other promoters in the NWA will realize that they’ve missed the opportunity of a lifetime to show the world who’s the greatest tag team of all-time. So, Frank Valois, when that day comes when the Midnight Express walk out the door and head to greener pastures, you’re gonna ask yourself “Geez, who’s to blame for this?” And you know what, to be honest, it won’t even be your fault. At least, not entirely; you’re gonna look around and you’re gonna realize that the true responsible will be Jacques & Raymond Rougeau because you were too busy constantly having them in your ear, telling you what to say and what to do, pandering to their every want and need. And you’re probably gonna come calling & you’re gonna be crawling on your hands and knees, begging us to comeback to this stinkin’ territory and make you money. Well, it’s gonna be too late because we’ll have moved on to greener pastures and greater things. However, it’s not too late for you to rectify things, Frank. All we need, will be 1 shot. Give the Midnight Express 1 shot at the Rougeaus and I guarantee you we’ll make history. And if you remain stubborn, well, the world will now know who to blame!

(Jim Cornette & the Midnight Express leave the broadcast booth and Édouard Carpentier returns to his position.)

Guy Hauray: So Eddie, do you buy anything Jim Cornette just said or is it empty threats to you?

Édouard Carpentier: Jim Cornette has never shied away from controversy and he always speaks his mind on every topic. Personally, the tag team division is so deep within the NWA, both here and with Mid-Atlantic. Add to that Smokey Mountain Wrestling and it’s absolutely loaded with top tier tag teams. I think Jim Cornette is looking to put the blame on anybody but himself for the Midnight Express’ shortcomings in the tag team division. But if Randy Rose somehow beats Terry Funk tomorrow and becomes the NWA International Heavyweight Champion, the whole narrative then changes. Jim Cornette will gain a lot of power.

Guy Hauray: We’ll see if that changes tomorrow night. We’ll be right back after the commercial break!

*******COMMERCIAL BREAK**********

(As we’re back from the commercial break, it looks like we’re gonna be ready to go for another match as Serge Jodoin & Bob Dellaserra standing in the ring with referee Luigi Macera in there. However, out of nowhere, the Strong Machines swarm the ring and attack the two enhancement talents! All 3 of them, Super Strong Machine #1 and Strong Machines 2 & 3, are doing a number of poor Jodoin & Dellaserra. Strong Machine #1 hits each of Jodoin & Dellaserra with the Machine DDT. As Strong Machine 2 & 3 continue the beatdown on the jobbers, Super Strong Machine reaches out in his wrestling boot and hands to Guy Hauray a piece of paper. He motions for Guy Hauray to read it to the viewers at home. Strong Machine #1 also motions for #2 & #3 to retreat backstage as referees tend to Serge Jodoin & Bob Dellaserra.)

To whom it may concern,

We come from the land of the Rising Sun, where our sport is considered the most noble there is. There is a tremendous amount of pride in what we do and we are willing to do anything to show the world that we are the best. In America, some people are making a joke out of this sport, turning it into a circus freak show, promoting gigantic freaks and people willing to use our sport to catapult themselves in more selfish endeavours. While all of our Oriental counterparts are more reserved and respectful, we are not. We are intended to send a message to North American wrestlers in Canada and the United States. As the date of the next big tournament approach faster with the Johnny Rougeau Memorial Cup, we are sending a fair warning to whoever is taking part in this tournament in any way, shape or form; we will make our presence felt. We will use this stage to make an example out of the Occident and prove that the Orient have the best wrestlers in the world. We noticed that some promoters and individuals have already understood this and won’t be attending the event. As for the others, you will realize at your expense that it will be futile to refuse the inevitable. Come the 28th of April, someone will fall.

We will shock the world.

SM

(Guy Hauray and Édouard Carpentier seem a bit confused about what Guy just read.)

Guy Hauray: Ladies and gentlemen....on those ominous words, I just don’t know what to say. What can we make of this, Eddie?

Édouard Carpentier: Well, Guy, we’ve seen for the past couple of weeks what the Machines can do as nobody seems to be immune to their wrath. While JWA will send a contingent to represent them during our 3-day tournament, it looks obvious that the Machines are hellbent on disrupting it and to make sure that everyone sees what they can do. Let’s hope that this won’t get out of hand.

Guy Hauray: Especially for the rest of the show. Because when we come back, it’ll be main event time as The Spoiler squares off with Nord the Barbarian!

********COMMERCIAL BREAK + INSERT PROMO TO HYPE THE JOHNNY ROUGEAU MEMORIAL CUP NEXT WEEK************

http://challonge.com/v8s5e3pz

MAIN EVENT

Match #2

The Spoiler vs Nord the Barbarian (w/Eddy “The Brain” Creatchman)

The broadcast team use the early moments of the match to discuss what just happened with the Strong Machines beatdown prior to the commercial break. We’re in for a lengthy match and it looks like the young Creatchman protégé has enough cardio to keep the pace with the veteran Spoiler. The challenge for The Spoiler is to avoid Nord’s falling powerslam while Nord’s is to avoid The Spoiler’s dreaded Claw. Nord has the momentum in the late moments of the match, from the instant The Spoiler accidentally punched the ringpost outside during a scuffle. Nord attempted his falling powerslam on The Spoiler but The Spoiler slipped behind Nord and shoved him in the corner! After a few moments in which the Spoiler mounted his comeback, he’s finally able to lock in the Claw on Nord! The big man is in trouble as The Spoiler seems to be headed to another victory. Eddy Creatchman senses trouble and tries to change the fate of his protégé as he climbs on the ring apron. The Spoiler lets go of Nord and he then locks the Claw on Eddy Creatchman! Creatchman is in trouble and in desperation, tosses his cane in the ring! Referee Adrien Desbois steps in between the Spoiler and Eddy Creatchman to separate the two. This allows Nord to grab Eddy’s cane and smash it in the back of The Spoiler! The masked veteran collapses on the ground and Nord gets rid of the smoking gun to cover the Spoiler. Eddy casually steps down of the apron and Desbois turns around and can only make the 3-count. Eddy Creatchman steps in the ring again to celebrate with Nord as the show draws to a close.

Winner: Nord the Barbarian

20111012-052508-g.jpg

À LA SEMAINE PROCHAINE SI DIEU LE VEUT!

April 20th, 1985

Thornhill, ON

-Nick Bockwinkel beat Sika in 15:30

-Steve Strong upsets Luke Williams in 2:43

-Rip Oliver (w/Sherri Martel) beat Strong Machine 2 in 15:44

NWA International TV Championship: NWA International Tag Team Champion Gino Brito beat Elijah Akeem (w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) in 16:01 to retain. Postmatch, a returning Fatu attacked Gino Brito!

-The Sensationals (Robinson & Taylor, w/Sherri Martel) beat Strong Machine 1 & 3 in 19:57

-Bob Sweetan (w/Sherri Martel) beat Gilles Poisson in 9:08

Dream Tag Match: Bob Backlund & NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair beat The Spoiler & NWA World Tag Team Champion Raymond Rougeau in 16:31 when Backlund pinned The Spoiler. A bit of dissension between Backlund & Flair during the match but cooler heads prevailed in the end!

NWA International Heavyweight Championship: Terry Funk beat Butch Miller in 12:24 to retain

April 21st, 1985

-Richard "Le Magnifique" Charland (w/Frenchy Martin) beat Luke Williams in 15:48

-Butch Miller beat Boris Zhukov in 11:41

-The Sensationals (Oliver & Sweetan, w/Sherri Martel) beat Strong Machines 2 & 3 in 13:37

-Sheik Ali (w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) beat Alexis Smirnoff in 7:59

-The Zambuie Express (w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) beat the Wild Samoans in 12:42

-Bob Backlund beat Super Strong Machine #1 in 13:42

NWA International Heavyweight Championship: Terry Funk beat Randy Rose (w/Jim Cornette) in 13:06 to retain

NWA World Heavyweight Championship: Ric Flair beat Dory Funk Jr in 12:57 to retain

Some great names on these cards! I enjoyed your Cornette interview. Some classic Cornette phrases mixed in there and you were really able to get the point across on how muxh of a little weasel he really was.

I must say I am getting confused on all the Machines in the game right now and wonder if we will ever find out who they all are and if they are the same between Lutte and WWF? Maybe you guys have pulled the wool over our eyes and are really working together. Watch out NWA!

The Machines I use and those that WWF use are different. Mine are mostly referred to as Strong Machines and other than Junji Hirata/Super Strong Machine 1, they never got the exposure that the other Machines have. But to me, I like that because this allows me to give them a shot with the loan from JWA to get them over in the tag team division and separate themselves from the WWF's Machines. But I can understand the confusion though ;)

Oh no, I wasn't implying that at all. I just thought it was important to make the distinction between both sets of machines. Same could be said about the two Kendo Nagasakis that existed back then. One had way less exposure than the other, exactly like my Machines & WWF's Machines.

It is hard for me to say anything nice about Lutte given our personal history, but I will begrudgingly give you kudos for your continued success. I personally like the Machine gimmick here and with you as I can picture Vince just going nuts about the same gimmick being used. That could change his focus on that tag team in the future...

April 25th, 1985

Forum de Montréal

forum1.jpg

Special Attraction: Bruiser Brody beat Nick Bockwinkel in 10:08

-The Vachons beat The Sensationals (Rip Oliver & Bob Sweetan, w/Sherri Martel) in 13:48

-The Bolshevik Revolution beat The Funks in 12:54 when Smirnoff pinned Dory

-Bob Orton beat NWA World Tag Team Champion Jacques Rougeau in 16:31

-Super Strong Machine #1 beat Dutch Mantell in 12:18

-Ray Stevens beat NWA World Tag Team Champion Raymond Rougeau in 11:58

-Bob Backlund beat Nord the Barbarian (w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) in 11:58

NWA World Heavyweight Championship: Ric Flair beat Butch Miller in 38:46 to retain

Some big names here going head to head. Wonder how crazy the Brody vs Bock match would have been. I do think you have some of the most interesting tag teams in the game and find it interesting how much you have them go between singles and tag matches. If you had to rank your teams, who would be your top 5?

April 26th, 1985

Orleans, ON

-Alexis Smirnoff beat Bob Backlund in 26:02

-Ray Stevens beat Mad Dog Lefebvre (w/Frenchy Martin) in 7:24

-The Sheepherders beat Bolshevik Revolution in 14:14

-Spoiler Machine (The Spoiler) beat Dutch Mantell in 16:41

-Fatu (w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) beat Randy Rose (w/Jim Cornette) in 3:21

Falls Count Anywhere: Larry Zbyszko beat Richard "Le Magnifique" Charland (w/Frenchy Martin) in 6:08

-Dennis Condrey (w/ Jim Cornette) beat Sika in 12:47

NWA Canadian International Heavyweight Championship: Terry Funk beat Bob Sweetan (w/Sherri Martel) in 16:12 to retain

I remember when I was young, we got like a 2 month stint of Southwest Championship Wrestling and I just thought Bob Sweetan was awesome! Unfortunately Vince McMahon came along and WWF was almost all that was left.

Terry Funk vs Bob Sweetan are the matches that Bill Apter would place on the cover!

NWA Lutte Internationale TV

Taped at CHLT-TV Studios, Sherbrooke, QC

Broadcasted on April 27th, 1985

dieu.jpg220px-Nwalogobw.jpg

Because of time constraints, the next two weekly TVs will be in recap form. I'll resume the more detailed report in 2 weeks.

-In this week's opener, a newcomer to NWA Lutte Internationale, "Dirty" Dutch Mantell made his first TV appearance as he went one-on-one with Tito Senza. Senza wasn't much of an opposition for Mantell and the match was done in around 2:30. Mantell cut his first promo afterwards claiming he was here because he had some business to take care of by helping some friend. Mantell didn't elaborate any further than that but he said that we'd soon see who he was talking about.

-A rarity in the territory took place next as Billy Robinson, Boris Zhukov, Dennis Condrey & Bob Dellaserra competed in a Four Corners Match with possible title implications down the line. Other than the Dellaserras, the broadcast team argued that any 3 of the teams represented in the match could claim their stake at the NWA World or Canadian International Tag Titles. In the end, it was Boris Zhukov who scored the pin on Billy Robinson as Dennis Condrey was busy beating up Dellaserra outside.

-In the main event, NWA Canadian International TV & Tag Team Champion Gino Brito teamed up with Sika of the Wild Samoans to face the Sensationals combo of Terry Taylor & Rip Oliver. The broadcast team explained that Rick Martel had his monthly commitments with the AWA so he couldn't make it in time for this week's TV. Therefore, the Canadian International Tag Titles weren't on the line against the Sensationals. A very intense & close-fought match right to the last moments but however, this was tarnished by the interference from the Strong Machines as the match was ruled a no-contest after the team from the Rising Sun laid waste to everyone.

-To close the show, promoter Frank Valois came out and said that he was sick & tired of this stuff and as a promoter, he doesn't have time to constantly get involved with this. Therefore, he started conversations with the NWA Board of Directors and soon, he'll be able to reveal who the NWA will appoint as their special enforcer to make sure that law and order is respected in Lutte Internationale.

April 27th, 1985

-The Wild Samoans defeated The Sensationals (Bob Sweetan & Rip Oliver, w/Sherri Martel) in 26:19. Oliver had to finish the last 5 minutes of the match alone as Sweetan suffered a very serious elbow injury towards the end of the match. An update should be provided after the Johnny Rougeau Memorial Cup starting tomorrow night.

NWA World Tag Team Championship Falls Count Anywhere Match: The Rougeau Brothers beat The Sheepherders in 62:51 to retain