Pro Wrestling Only

Total Divas

Jimmy Redman

I dunno guys, I think I may have to start reviewing this show.

I've seen bits and pieces before, my mum watches it every week, but I think this was the first time I've sat down to a whole episode.

This one was about the Draft, and can be summed up thusly: "I DON'T WANT TO BE SEPARATED FROM MY BOYFRIEND/HUSBAND/BEST FRIENDS/THE CAST OF TOTAL DIVAS IN THE UPCOMING WWE DRAFT!!"

I mean, I know a lot of their hysterics are for the show, but the underlying fear and panic of their lives being ripped up and relationships being put in jeopardy because of the draft is real. They used to go through this every year, and now it's starting again. And they don't get told shit just so they get "real" reactions, even though it's TV so they're all going to be "on" and working their characters anyway...fuck this company sometimes man. These are people's lives you're twatting around with just so you can work the boyz, you jerks.

One of the highlights of TD is when the peripheral people get involved in the Total Divas bullshit of the day and they give you that "I didn't sign up for this crazy ass bitches nonsense" look. Shayna Bazler gave Nattie that look when she was crying about Nikki taking neckbreakers (They could break her neck again! It says so right in the name!). Nattie is such a blatantly lying twat sometimes, all "If I was your opponent I wouldn't work over your neck." Like, get fucked. Of course you fucking would, every single fucking worker has their real injury worked on in matches once they return. But the thing about Nattie is that she says this shit so emphatically that you believe that she believes it.

Anyway, Nia Jax gave Lana that same look when she was whinging all over the place about having no friends on Raw. Just a total "Ho boy, I don't want to be called up just to get stuck babysitting the loser kid because nobody will play with her." Seeing Lana as CJ with an American accent acting like a girl is almost as traumatic to me as Umaga or Awesome Kong speaking for the first time. I want my childhood back.

Paige and Alberto broke up at the end of the episode. So I guess that's the end of that guys.

But my favourite part of the episode was, amazingly, Eva Marie. Look, normally I don't give a shit about her on TD but here's the thing, my favourite part about her in ring career was that she was stupid. That was her gimmick, that she was a fuckwit! She'd look so incompetent in the ring, she'd piss off anyone she was teaming with, she'd provoke Asuka into killing her...she was just incurably dumb. I loved it. And so here she's whining about the idea of not being drafted all fucking day, whining about not being drafted yet through the whole fucking draft, and then finally at fuck o'clock at night she comes up on the screen as a SD pick, she jumps up and announces to the room "I'm so glad I got drafted to Raw!" And everyone laughs and laughs and they have to tell her that she fucked up and she's eating it, and more and more people come up to her and laugh in her face and it's glorious, it's like her wrestling character has come to life. Live the gimmick brother!

This show already has more intrigue and better payoffs than Raw.

Total Divas is 100% guilty pleasure watching for me at times mainly to see what type of bullshit WWE will throw out as 'reality'. One of my favorite examples of this is an episode where Nattie may or may not have eaten a pot brownie and decides (out loud and while being filmed) to crash her car to avoid taking a drug test.

That was great, but nothing tops Nattie drunk-dialing Steph at 3 in the morning. :)

Honorable mentions from the same family: TJ taking Nattie on a "romantic date" to an ostrich farm, Nattie's sister (or was it TJ's sister?) and Big E in a hot tub, Nattie talking about how she's never "been" with anyone other than TJ. :D

I FFWD through Raw, but I've never missed an episode of this.

I will have to side with Carano on the talent's girlfriends shouldn't matter because at the end of the day the WWE needs to worry about making money. Of course, some people get messed with because the office can be dicks.

A good question they won't touch is why is Paige touring if she's hurt. I bet the WWE is wringing their hands that they have to deal with a new show with Paige on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched a little bit yesterday and they are doing the re-debut of Eva Marie where they make a huge deal about her showing up and then never wrestling. It is funny that he has reservations about the gimmick because she thought she worked hard in NXT to become a better wrestler and wishes this was done 3 years ago.

While she isn't wrong that it would have been better to start her that way since she actually couldn't wrestle, she was still so bad that it made really sense to re-debut that way. I figure they are going to make a huge deal about the "wardrobe malfunction" spot

That relationship in particular feels like they do a lot of "scenes." Very stereotypical television show couple things, where the female has to learn that she shouldn't try to "tame" her lovable man. It's to the point where I'd hope it's just for the show, because if that's their actual relationship, I'd feel pretty bad for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the season is over they can finally announce the release of Eva Marie. She hasn't mentioned WWE in months and months.

As someone who's watched this show since it began in 2013 this season was quite boring. And that's including a wedding and a pregnancy announcement. I'm sure it will come back but this show seems to be spinning its wheels. I don't know how much Bunim and Murray have left to work with here

Now that the season is over they can finally announce the release of Eva Marie. She hasn't mentioned WWE in months and months.

As someone who's watched this show since it began in 2013 this season was quite boring. And that's including a wedding and a pregnancy announcement. I'm sure it will come back but this show seems to be spinning its wheels. I don't know how much Bunim and Murray have left to work with here

Yeah, it feels like the only story they want to tell a lot of the time is about a wedding, which led to some brutal Rusev-Lana stuff this season. I presume next season will be about Renee and Dean, which doesn't sound much better.