Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-04-08-MCW-TV] Steven Regal vs Reckless Youth

Loss

Regal is just great here, and brought out the best in Reckless Youth as well, in a way that I sort of get his appeal for the first time. Regal excels not only in the detail work and stiffness and mat mastery that we all love him for, but also for the old school heeling and ability to properly pace a match to get everything over. I love that a heel won clean in Memphis just because that never happens. The post-match angle did make RY look like a chump, but it also was great for getting Regal over as a jerk. To me, it's the type of angle you do more with total prelim types than guys who are even at the opening match level, though. Regal looks more on his form than he has since probably 1997, and I'm looking forward to him getting a fresh crew of young guys to mold. ***

I have a mutual friend of Reckless Youth, who once asked Reckless about his time in Memphis. It was largely negative, but one one of the positives was getting to work with Regal night in and night out, as until the TWA guys came in, Reckless was the only guy he wanted to work with, as he was trying to get back into shape for a WWE run, so they would work no less than 30 minutes a night on the MCW house shows. Later, Regal would take Reckless around WWF shows and put him over, which he could tell carried a lot of weight with the wrestlers there, but he never really got an opportunity as he was not well liked by Bruce Prichard (which is something I intend to ask Prichard about on his podcast the next time he does an open Q&A format).

Really fun tv match. Reckless looks like a spry up and comer but Regal really is in peak form here mixing in that blend of brutality and speed that makes him so engaging and amazing to watch when he is on. They did some unique mat work here that is foreign for the Memphis territory and the finish was unconventional as Charles touched on. A lot of fun overall. ***

• 1 month later...

I like this setup better than the old Memphis TV studio, which felt anachronistic when watching the 1998 Power Pro stuff. Looks exactly like Wildside, though.

This is fun. It's nice to see Reckless working with someone who uses a more traditional style - creates a nice contrast, as opposed to Reckless' normal indy spotfests. He has surprisingly good selling and facials that you normally wouldn't get to see on the indies.

• 3 weeks later...

Regal gives Reckless the chance of “saving himself a bloody good hiding” before this one gets underway. He advises him to go and take a shower and they can forget all about this as he’s not in his class. Reckless is going nowhere though and the bell rings to start the match. Youth with a headscissors and his Lordship’s legs start to twitch and you can see the anger building up in him. He riles him even more by doing the old Blue Blood strut and playing with his wrists just like Regal. Double underhook suplex and Regal tells him “to make bloody fun of that sunshine!”. Uppercut and a strike to the bridge of the nose and Regal continues to make Reckless pay for mocking him. A series of pin reversals which Youth finally transitions into a Boston crab that Regal is able to power his way out of. Regal with a couple of forearm smashes to the chest and an uppercut which drops Reckless. Abdominal stretch with Regal picking up the leg to increase the pressure. Whip to the corner, however Reckless leaps to the second turnbuckle and comes off with a clothesline. Dropkick followed by a somersault splash, but Regal responds with a forearm to the chops. Reckless tries one of his own, which is blocked, so changes tact with a dragon screw. Dropkick to the leg, kneebar and Regal grabs the ropes for the break. Sunset flip by Reckless, but Regal’s momentum carries him all the way over and the WOS favourite folding press for the win. After the match Reckless takes the mic and says how he grew up watching Regal, has nothing but respect for him and that he’s one of the greatest technical wrestlers in the sport today. He tells him it’s always a learning experience against him and would like to shake his hand. Regal ignores the hand and exits the ring saying “why would he want to shake hands with this grubby little urchin!”

I said how after last week I didn’t think this venue was conducive for wrestling due to how quiet the crowd were, but these two certainly got a reaction out of them. Really enjoyed this with the crafty veteran who had too much for the young up and comer. There is a real viciousness in Regal’s uppercuts, forearms and the strike to the bridge of Youth’s nose. Liked Youth’s change of tact towards the end with the dragon screw and focussing on Regal’s leg and nice to see a folding press on US tv! I didn’t have a problem with the post match and Regal blowing off Reckless’ handshake as it just makes him comes across as an even bigger dick. Having checked out the spreadsheet looking forward to the rematch.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

About as good as this could possibly be for a five minute match in this setting. Regal's character work is great in giving the match more substance than just spots. He helps keep Reckless more grounded and Youth working more on the mat than in the air benefited him too. Of course with Regal compared to everyone else he was working with in Memphis during this run obviously makes a big difference. Regal's dismissal of the post match was an awesome heel spot.

• 1 month later...

This was a neat little TV match... I thought they both did an excellently taking advantage of the short time they were given. Regal truly is a king when it comes to working matches around short time limits.

The story of the seasoned vet vs. the young up and comer looking to gain his respect was developed and was pushed in the post match angle. They also let you wanting more, so I'm looking forward to their next match.

By far the best MCW match we've seen. Good stuff.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-04-08-MCW-TV] Steven Regal vs Reckless Youth