Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-04-09-Michinoku Pro-Super J Cup] Jushin Liger vs Mens Teioh

soup23

Really strong short match. This match had a lot of hate and I really appreciated Teioh not being punked around by Liger. Aggressive striking and it really felt like Liger was brought to the brink in the seven minutes the match took place. Perfect for a second round match showing Liger that this won’t be an easy process. ***1/4

Fun match. LOL at Teoh getting the big head and thinking he's been blessed with Misawa's elbows. I appreciate how in both matches thus far, Liger has sold quite a bit to get over his vulnerability, which was probably the right call after running roughshod over everyone for months.

• 1 month later...

Teioh keeps cutting off Liger with the abdominal stretch, with pinning combos, with the headlock. When Liger finally swings the momentum in his favor Teioh is optimistic to use a top rope atomic drop. He tries to chip away at Liger with elbows but Liger shrugs it off and pins him after a brainbuster. Almost a story of Liger meeting some fairly choppy waters, navigating calmly but surely through them, and then finishing his opponent off once he's sure he won't be swept away. Solid little story and match.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought this was easily the best of the quarter final matches in this tournament. Liger did a great job here of making it look like Teioh could pull out an upset. The crowd was really eating up the near falls when ever Teioh would use one of his roll-ups or cradles out of nowhere. The highlight of this for me was when Liger countered a rolling elbow with a shotei. Just beautiful timing on that one.

***1/4

• 1 month later...

Teioh has some real cool stuff here, especially the running manjigatame which I am sure I have never seen before. From what I have seen from him Teioh might be the most underrated guy of the Kaientai guys. At least in the mid 2000s he is at least as good as peak TAKA, better than Hayashi ever was and I am not sure if peak Togo is much better.

• 4 months later...

This was a very fun match and was very different from the other matches from this tournament we have seen. Compared to the others we've seen, these guys worked at a much slower pace and did less than the others, but it worked here, specially with MEN'S who usually works entirely different to the majority of the other younger Jr.'s here.

MEN'S is one of the most underrated Japanese Jr.'s. He never really got the same amount of chances to shine in big singles as the other Kaientai members did, but given the chance as he does here, he shows up and shines. His Irish whip counter manjigatame is a staple move of his and it's awesome. By the end, MEN'S gets the crowd believing in an upset and it leads to some perfectly setup false finishes. That finishing stretch was ideal for this match as they kept it really simple, yet effective.

***1/4

• GSR changed the title to [2000-04-09-Michinoku Pro-Super J Cup] Jushin Liger vs Mens Teioh