Pro Wrestling Only

[2002-03-30-ROH-Round Robin Challenge] Christopher Daniels vs Low Ki

Calvin

• GSR changed the title to [2002-03-30-ROH-Round Robin Challenge] Christopher Daniels vs Low Ki

Not as good as the Daniels-Dragon opener, but still better than anything else not involving these two for these opening RoH shows.

Same sort of deal as the prior match, Low Ki runs wild, Daniels slows it down and works on the neck, Ki makes a comeback, the end. Diminishing returns trying the same story again and other than Low Ki using the same crossface early on that Daniels beat Dragon with, there wasn't really any followup or evidence Ki had taken note of Daniels-Dragon. I did like how Ki won with a submission, showing that each of these guys can win either way.

To me, Daniels comes out of these matches looking the most impressive. He defeated Dragon clean, then more than held his own against Low Ki even with it being his second match of the night. Weird booking here as I know they probably saw Dragon-Ki as the big match of these 3, but why have the token heel wrestle his second match against the fresh superstar?

Seems obvious that Dragon will win (with the Cattle Mutilation) in the main ensuring each guy wins 1 match, but maybe I'll be surprised.

• 1 year later...

Early on Low Ki just totally kicks Daniels' ass all over the place Low Ki style, but once Daniels' gets out of his flurry, he goes back to what worked for him earlier on the night -- he starts going after Low Ki's neck. Brainbusters, submissions; much like in that match vs. Bryan, Daniels' focus on the neck absolutely rules here. He is terrific dishing out the punishment, and Ki is really good from underneath with his hope spots -- the highlight of his work here sure was that tremendous finish w/ him spinning out of Daniels' hold, and locking in the Dragon Clutch for the win. With the big focus being on the neckwork, it's easy to say this was very similar to that Daniels vs. Dragon match from earlier, and it's true, but it also came with its own, awesome Low Ki twists & touches. I'd put both of the bouts on the same level. This was great. Ki & Danielson obviously went on to have that classic main event just a bit later, but Daniels' performances were extremely impressive on this night as well. ****

• 1 year later...

I remember when I first saw this. I was bored out of my mind and I hated it. Now that I'm older and have grown more of an appreciation for shoot-style, I enjoyed this a lot more, but it's still not without its flaws. The main issue I had with this is that it goes way too long. Most of the work here was good, but I did find myself start to get bored at times. This felt like two young American kids doing a worthy tribute to Battlarts.  The mat work is aggressive and the strikes are stiff. They did a great job incorporating more pro-style moves during the second half without it looking hokey. This wasn't either man's best ROH match, but it's still an impressive bout when you factor in how young these guys were at this point. ★★★¾