Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-04-15-MCW-TV] Steven Regal vs Reckless Youth

soup23

Regal gives us a typically strong promo up front where he dismisses Youth saying he doesn't belong in the same ring as Regal. A good series between these two with Youth being able to show off his mat work and reversals and Regal leading the way. Regal's valet was heavily involved here and I didn't think the match overall was as strong as the prior week but it was still solid. Lance not being on commentary was a shame. Regal gets the win and Youth offers his respect only to get beat up afterwards. **

• 3 weeks later...

This was good, but was missing something. Maybe it was Lance Russell's commentary to put it over, I'm not sure. I like how they structured the 7-minute match, but if Regal's going to be in a pseudo-studio (su-su-sudio) environment, I'd prefer he have a title or something that enables him to do 10-minute matches on the regular. Loved Regal's ab stretch pinning combo at the finish, an old Flair favorite that he'd dust off every now and then, and that post-match forearm looked brutal.

• 1 month later...

Regal's pre-match promo is terrific.

I liked this a little less than the first match - the interference felt off, and it felt like the match could have evolved more based off of what happened in the first one. Could have used Lance Russell for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

Pre-match interview from Regal with Bobcat and Regal tells Reckless again that he is not in the same league as him. He doesn’t belong in the same ring as him, in fact he doesn’t belong in the same business as him. He’s bought respect and credibility to this sport for 17 years in 24 countries around the world, and a miserable little toe rag isn’t going to get anything from him except a bloody good hiding. He then calls Bobcat a ‘tart’ and tells her to stop looking like that at him as he’s spoken for!

No Lance Russell! Regal’s out to the British Bulldog’s old music and is accompanied by Lady Ophelia-Bristol (Bristols being a UK slang term for breasts!). Reckless reverses an armbar, Regal with a top wristlock and Youth with a headscissors takedown. Headstand escape. Forearm to the back of the head of Reckless, however he is able to counter a powerbomb with a huracanrana. Regal slingshots Youth over the top rope to the floor and starts talking to the official about something. As Reckless climbs back up to the apron he’s joined by Ophelia who, with the referee distracted, kicks him in the stomach and then applies the ‘Tarantula’. Regal with those knee strikes and a seated full nelson. Reckless fires back with some forearms of his own, but a drop toehold puts a stop to that. Lady Ophelia gets involved again, this time choking Reckless behind the official’s back. Youth flips back into the ring and a flying headscissors followed by a dropkick. ‘Ace Crusher’ and a tornado DDT for a near fall. Regal reverses an Irish whip and holds onto the arm and an abdominal stretch takedown into a pinning position for the win. Reckless again offers his hand and this time Regal accepts only to blindside him with some forearms, leaving him laying on the canvas.

If there is a wrestler who doesn’t need a valet it’s Steven Regal and this all looks rather odd with this dominatrix looking women accompanying him to ringside. I’m pretty sure that Lady Ophelia is later revealed to be Nora Greenwald, although my betting is this isn’t her (Ophelia wears a Zorro mask and has a long, big red wig). It’s amazing how much she actually detracts from him. Pretty disappointing after last week although I like the way Reckless mixes up his offense with traditional wrestling and flashier stuff. The guy was before his time.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Regal, you suck!

Shut your mouth our I'll come out there and punch your trap.

Fantastic!

Regal looked really good here. Some stiff elbows and some solid matwork. That Cobra Twist pin at the end was awesome.

His manager pulling out a Tarantula was neat too.

Above the norm 7 minute MCW TV match.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-04-15-MCW-TV] Steven Regal vs Reckless Youth