Pro Wrestling Only

[1985-07-17-UWF] Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs Super Tiger

Superstar Sleeze

Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs Super Tiger - UWF 7/17/85

Less than a month ago, Fujiwara got the monkey (or should I say Tiger) off his back by forcing Tiger to submit in the middle of the ring to a legbar. We are JIP (missing the opening 5 minutes of the 15 minute match) to a Fujiwara legbar. This is probably the most exciting Tiger/Fujiwara match, but it is a lot of flash and missing the substance that really makes the other matches classic. Tiger is just firing off wicked kicks and they are rapid fire. Fujiwara is backed into the corner just trying to cover up and catch one of these kicks when he has a chance. There is a lot of submission work too. Tiger gets a leg bar and crab of his own. Fujiwara gets another legbar. The really exciting parts are the standup. Tiger is fast & furious with these kicks. They look beautiful. At one point, Tiger just slaps the shit out of him. Tiger wanted to win so bad after the loss. You can feel how hard he was trying. Fujiwara was just out gunned in this match. The turning point was when Fujiwara gets a nice double underhook takedown and in the scrap Tiger blasts with a swift kick to the solarplexus and knocks the wind right out of him. I loved Fujiwara's headstand out of the Boston Crab. Fujiwara has been excellent. I will say if there is one thing lacking in this match is that Sayama does not sell shit and really is not good at any of the selling, bumping (there is not much bumping in shoot style) or facial expressions. He is just ridiculously good at offense and pacing. Tiger goes INSANE with kicks. There is this crazy flying karate kick that just blasts Fujiwara in the face. Fujiwara kinda catches the foot, but just goes down in a heap. Cant respond to the ten count. Super Tiger gets his win back.

I was hoping for it to be 2-2 going into Match #5, but I also like that Super Tiger came into this match so hot. Very exciting, but lacking the selling and drama of the other classics. Definitely watch this for the insane onslaught of Sayama kicks! ****1/4

• 1 year later...

This match is the culmination of the entire rivalry and embraces the viciousness of shoot-style through Tiger’s strikes and Fujiwara’s grappling. Fujiwara puts Tiger through the ringer on the mat, making him work for his rope breaks and at times, refusing to let him out of his grasp. He’s spry and self-assured, bouncing around the ring and looking maybe five years younger here. But once again, he’s starkly reminded of his own kryptonite when Tiger mule kicks him off and punts him in the ribs. As Tiger’s aggression becomes more and more intense down the stretch, Fujiwara’s resolve wavers and ultimately, he’s conquered by Tiger’s kicks – the viewer left with a lasting image of Fujiwara as Tiger’s foot slips through his desperate fingers and he crumbles in complete exhaustion. Awesome match and my second favorite of the series. It's a shame this does not exist in full.

• GSR changed the title to [1985-07-17-UWF] Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs Super Tiger