Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-04-18-JWP] Ran Yu Yu vs Tsubasa Kuragaki

soup23

Yu Yu could end up being one of the more fascinating figures of the decade. This match looks like it is taking place in a banquet hall in front of a 100 fans but Yu Yu does a really strong job of getting over the fundamentals of the match and that parlaying into a finishing stretch where things spill outside, more risks are taken, etc. I didn't see much here from Kuragaki but she was competent enough. I know Yu Yu is part of the JWP contingent coming into AJW soon and I really look forward to those matches. ***1/2

• 3 weeks later...

There are a few 2000s discoveries where I get excited every time I see one of their matches coming up. Tomoaki Honma and Ran Yu Yu are at the top of the list thus far. Here, she leads Kuragaki through a very good match that isn't the smoothest thing I've ever seen, but in some ways, that makes it more gritty and hard-fought because Ran makes up for it with her desperate execution. Good to see her something a bit more low key since most of her matches thus far have had her aiming high. Already a favorite. ***1/2

• 1 month later...

This was a nice match. Shame about the venue though. It looked like they were wrestling in the Japanese version of a Vegas banquet hall instead of in front of a proper wrestling crowd. Ran Ran Yu was a talented pro. She excellent in JWP as a youngster (before the name change) and was able to kick on as a worker despite plying her trade in some lean years for Joshi puroresu. Mad respect for her forging out an 18-year career in the business, especially the years spent freelancing.I liked her armwork in this and the stiff shots she gave Tsubasa. Definitely one to follow in the coming months.

• 4 months later...

Ran Yu Yu is becoming one of the more interesting wrestlers of this project. I'm almost always intrigued by the matches she's in and they deliver for the most part too. I thought the venue was an interesting touch as it was pretty intimate with about 100 people in attendance. The matwork was pretty good and the striking was stiff. It was a very hard fought match as it seemed like every strike or submission had a sense of struggle to it which I really like in matches. I loved the ending with the forearm strike to Tsubasa as she was coming off the ropes.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-04-18-JWP] Ran Yu Yu vs Tsubasa Kuragaki