Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-04-20-CWF] Little Guido vs Mikey Whipwreck

soup23

Guido as a face should be interesting to watch. We haven’t had near as many ECW fancams in recent months. While I am grateful for that as January became a slog going through them with the same type of matches, this was also a reminder of how fun those type of matches could be. I also think a different type of crowd that we see here helped things with this crowd engaged and willing to play along with the heel/face structure. Finish was a little silly with the referee just allowing Corino to get into the ring to interfere but that backfires and Guido is able to pick up the win. Fun mid card match. ***

• 4 weeks later...

This was a beautiful old school wrestling match. Not out to change the world, but a terrific throwback. Corino was effective both in conditioning the fans to go along with Guido as the babyface (other than the obnoxious "Where's my pizza?" contingent), and as a second in helping set things up without putting himself over one bit. Lots of basic stuff here like the punches in the corner and the double noggin knocker. Really cool novelty. I love it when guys bust out a style that you don't normally see from them. Another *** match that is the type you go to bat for and enthusiastically hype and defend.

• 4 weeks later...

I have never heard of this promotion, or that the ECW guys were working it. Some Googling suggests this is in Wayne, NJ, and that Big Dick Dudley and Rocco Rock were also on this card, as was Jimmy Snuka v. Tony Atlas.

These guys obviously have great chemistry (although it's interesting to see it worked in reverse of the way their matches usually went in terms of the heel-face dynamic). Very solid match.

Pretty clean match between ECW guys. Nice to see Guido as a babyface. He didn't do it much in his career but I thought he always did a good job when he was babyface. Mikey is between clean cut Mikey and satanic Mikey here. Nothing great but a solid match even with Corino at ringside. At first, i thought this was a handicap match.

• 1 month later...

The ring announcer is making his introductions for Guido when he’s interrupted by Steve Corino and Mikey Whipwreck. ‘The King of Old School’ has some bad news for them, and although the poster says Guido’s opponent is his man Yoshihiro Tajiri, twelve days ago he became the new TV champion and if they think The Network will let him defend the title infront of these pieces of garbage they’re sorely mistaken! Like the great babyface he is though he’s come prepared and The Network have let him chose a replacement, Mikey Whipwreck. He then tells Guido if he can defeat Mikey then maybe he will grant him a TV title shot. Guido is in Corino’s face saying that he deserves a shot already when he’s jumped from behind by Mikey. As the official tells him to wait for the bell, Corino then gets in some shots of his own. The bell finally rings to get this underway and Mikey takes it to him. Unfortunate camera angle at one point as you can see him seriously pulling his punches. Guido counters a clothesline with a backslide for two, before whipping his opponent from post to post and nailing him with a dropkick which sends him rolling out of the ring. As Corino and Mikey have a conflab on the floor, Guido with a noggin knocker. He throws Mikey back inside, however Corino grabs his leg to prevent him getting in himself and a guillotine legdrop from Whipwreck as he’s trapped over the bottom rope. Scoop powerslam for two. Guido escapes a rear chinlock, but a knee to the mid-section slows him back down. Mikey tosses him to the outside and then distracts the official allowing Corino to get some more shots in. Irish whip is reversed, however Guido telegraphs the backdrop and Whipwreck counters with a jumping DDT for another two. Double clothesline and both men are down. Mikey misses an elbow drop and a Sicilian slice gets Guido a two. He unloads with a series of punches in the corner and a big backdrop. Whipwreck blocks ‘the Maritato’ with a back kick low blow and now Corino is in the ring holding Guido. Mikey goes to hit him, but Guido moves and he nails Corino instead. ‘Maritato’ and Guido gets the win and presumably a subsequent TV title shot. Corino and Mikey get into a post-match shoving contest and look like they’re going to go at it, only to end up hugging it out.

This was much more akin to the type of match that these two would have on an ECW house show, although it was weird hearing the crowd get behind Guido. Work was good (as you’d expect) and for a replacement match I’d be very happy if I got this on a show I was attending.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [2000-04-20-CWF] Little Guido vs Mikey Whipwreck