Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-04-21-Stampede Wrestling] Sabu vs Johnny Devine

soup23

A really young Mauro is on commentary here. This is the bad side of Sabu that comes out every once in a while. A big contrast vs. The JAPW match where he retained his mystique. Here, he blows a ton of moves and seems unmotivated. Worse, the match goes way too long and most of that is prop setting. Devine doesn’t look great and needs someone to reign him in which Sabu is not the person to do that at all. Really disappointing given the run time. **

• 4 weeks later...

Good to know Mauro was just as much facts without insight 17 years ago as he is now. Speaking of 17 years, I'm pretty sure this match is still happening. This got way too much time. Devine didn't look great, but I do think the right opponent would have been able to have a solid match with him.

• 2 weeks later...

I had no idea former TNA wrestler Johnny devine wrestled in 2000. This was pretty bad and long although interesting to see Sabu in different places. Bad News Brown cracks me up calling people "sharecroppers" while Sabu is going through tables. Mauro was Mauro and that Teddy Hart wrestling school commercial was something else.

• 1 month later...

A match the wrestling world has been waiting for according to Mauro Ranallo! The now standard opening to a Sabu match with a bit of grappling and even going for a few submission holds. He whips Devine into the corner and comes off with a springboard sidekick for two. Somersault legdrop from the apron into the ring for another two and Devine rolls to the floor. Sabu follows him out and hurls a steel chair full force into this head. Back inside and Sabu gives up on the camel clutch when he realises Devine isn’t going to submit. He misses a double legdrop as Devine moves out the way ,and lands a vertical suplex for his first two count of the match. Lionsault and Sabu gets his shoulder up at the last split second. A missile dropkick looks as though it barely grazes Sabu and now he’s the one taking to the outside. Somersault flip dive over the top rope to out onto him and a ‘mamma mia’ from Mauro! Both are back to their feet and Sabu launches Devine stomach first into the ring apron. Triple jump plancha to the floor and as the camera zooms in on the wrestlers you can see them calling spots. High crossbody off the top from Devine and there’s a lot of your turn/my turn in this. Devine heads up again, however Sabu cuts him off and brings him back down with a top rope rana. Sabu introduces a table into proceedings and props it up in the corner. He puts Devine through it, though it’s not enough for the three. Bodyslam onto the broken table but Sabu misses the top rope Arabian facebuster. Devine with a chairshot off the middle and he heads outside to get a table. He lies Sabu on it, somersault senton, however Sabu moves and he crashes and burns. Triple jump moonsault is blown so Sabu immediately does it again. Camel clutch and Devine won’t tap. Double legdrop to the back, another camel clutch and finally Devine submits.

There’s a definite structure when it comes to Sabu matches, a brief bit of wrestling before into the stunt show. This was pretty bad, as after the opening exchanges it was just a series of spots with no transitions whatsoever in between. It also went 26 minutes in total which was easily ten minutes, if not more, too long. If you like dives, moves off the top rope, chairs, tables and not much else this might be for you. If you want substance, selling, emotional investment in your match, it won’t be. I’m the latter. Keep an eye out for a couple of interesting advertisements mind, one of Davey Boy Smith promoting B.J.’s gym (presumably B.J. Annis) and then one for Ted Hart’s wrestling school. If the idea of Teddy Hart having a wrestling school isn’t bizarre enough, consider the fact that he’s only twenty in 2000! Although he does “teach them everything though, from backflips, to DDTs, to moonsaults off the top”. Says it all really!

• 3 months later...

Some matches Sabu is on, but lots of times he is off and this was one of those. From the matwork on, he wasn't able to execute anything he tried. Johnny Devine was super bland as he didn't bring anything to the table in terms of character and his selling lacked expression. I guess he was supposed to be the babyface, but the crowd didn't care about cheering him. Below Average.

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [2000-04-21-Stampede Wrestling] Sabu vs Johnny Devine