Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-04-28-Tijuana] El Hijo del Santo & Brazo de Plata vs Dr Wagner Jr & Cien Caras

soup23

This was the buffet of wrestling matches. You had stalling from Wagner, chain wrestling, comedy from Porky and brawling and mask ripping. I was ready to have it go really high star rating wise when Felino interferes and the match just halts. The segment that follows is REALLLY long and drawn out and doesn’t really resonate with me at all. There are some cool visuals like Santo coming back with a flurry or people pelting Wagner with garbage but this lost its way big time for me and that is a big shame. ***

• 4 weeks later...

Wasn't the Felino run-in a post-match angle? I think that's why the match halted. Everything before that was just tremendous in terms of the interesting wrestling action and outstanding comedy. I would have liked a finish proper, but Felino is one of Santo's best opponents ever, and if a match is set up between them, that's great for the TJ fans of the time period. Anyway, if the match actually ended with the Felino run-in, which was my interpretation, this was really great. If it continued, it was still great, but does lose its way, as Chad said. I'm going to err on the positive side until I learn different, though. ****1/4

• 2 weeks later...

Fun match that just kept going and going. I always like when the big two guys would go on indie shows and let it loose. Wagner was all schtick and Porky was mostly comedy but good comedy. Santo gets his mask ripped over and over again. They brawl into the crowd which seems insane to do in Tijuana. I don't understand the ending but I guess it was to set up Felino/Santo which is almost always good. Tijuana was in an upswing at the time leading to 2001 so the crowd was hot.

• 4 weeks later...

Fun house show match in front of a noisy Tijuana crowd. We got some nice work between Santo and Wagner, some great comedy from Porky and Wagner and Cien Caras being Cien Caras. Wagner was fantastic in this. What a great worker he was at this point in time. He had the Lucha world on a string. And what more can be said about Porky? It's like watching Laurel and Hardy or an old Warner Brothers cartoon. It just never gets old. I liked the physicality as well. That's an element of lucha libre that often gets overlooked. Fantastic angle during the crowd brawling as well. I loved that shot with the guy wearing the cowboy hat and the image of Santo's mask holes poking through the throng of onlookers. Match ended abruptly with a Felino run-in which was a shame. We did see a more vicious Felino than the one we're used to but the apuesta challenges were pretty hollow and I didn't make it to the end.

• 6 months later...

Nice exhibition of comedy from Wagner and Super Porky in the opening fall. The match seemed to cut after the second fall to Wagner and Santo brawling in the crowd. The intensity in the match was building, but then Felino's interference unfortunately ended the match. I liked being able to hear the crowd as they cheered and laughed, since on the tv matches, the sound of the crowd is always so low in the mix. Fun match.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-04-28-Tijuana] El Hijo del Santo & Brazo de Plata vs Dr Wagner Jr & Cien Caras