• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#141 The Thread Killer

The Thread Killer

The Canadian Wildman

• Members
  • 1054 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:02 PM

Did Quake do any wrestling between his Sumo days and WWF? 

Yeah, I actually knew who he was when he showed up in the WWF.  Back in the 80's there was a terrible wrestling show on TV every Saturday afternoon called All-Star Wrestling.  I'll never forget it, it was SO bad.  It was filmed in a TV studio in Vancouver in front of around 50 people.  The ring was huge. It was run by a promoter named Al Tomko.  The announcer sounded like a game show host. Man it was BAD.  I first saw Tenta there.

After I wrote this, I looked it up and found it on YouTube!  Check out how skinny Quake is.  It's from 1986.  This clip is hysterical.

EDIT:  Found another one.  With 16 year old Mauro Ranallo on color commentary.

#142 Cox

Cox
  • Members
  • 1768 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:02 PM

He had about a two year run in All Japan.

#143 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:18 PM

Wow, I didn't realize Tenta used to be so small, and I had no idea Ranallo has been around that long as an announcer, and I'm from Canada!

#144 Victator

Victator
  • Members
  • 1326 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:37 PM

I just realized they named Quake after the Lil' Abner character. 

Heenan explained why Studd and Andre never matched up well. For Andre to truly be a giant, he needed someone who could really bump and sell for him. Studd physically could not do that and I think the 89 matches were the inverse of that. 

I think they did have a good match at the Spectrum that year and Studd had some very entertaining squashes. 

#145 Hawkeye12

Hawkeye12
  • Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:12 PM

I know in one of the first 1989 showdowns between babyface Studd and heel Andre, when Studd makes the save for Duggan, Andre takes a beating that you never saw him take as a heel.  Dropped to the floor with one punch to the gut, and then eventually brought back into the ring over the top with another shot and knocked to the ground to bail. I've always heard he was annoyed by Studd because he tried to suck up to him all the time, I don't think he actually hated him in any malicious way.  And they were even rumored to face off again in the UWF in 1991, even had Andre do a promo where he ripped apart a Studd LJN doll IIRC.  But Studd never appeared and Andre was just the one or two interviews with Captain Lou.

#146 JRH

JRH
  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:55 PM

I bet some of the matches originally had commentary, but not they type you're thinking of. Back when Landy had his youtube channel, he posted a godwinns/headbangers dark match from Shotgun, but the commentary was just Vince talking to the other commentators about technical issues and the like.  The commentary on these dark matches was probably similar. Obviously they couldnt put that on a dvd, so they likely deleted that "commentary".

#147 The Chief

The Chief
  • Members
  • 1592 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:50 PM

This is the first WWE DVD I've purchased in years and I finally got a chance to sit down and watch it today. It's amazing. I would buy a set like this of just try out matches.

And is it just me or is Andre completely shitfaced in that Studd match?

#148 iamthedoctor

iamthedoctor
  • Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:11 AM

I bet some of the matches originally had commentary, but not they type you're thinking of. Back when Landy had his youtube channel, he posted a godwinns/headbangers dark match from Shotgun, but the commentary was just Vince talking to the other commentators about technical issues and the like.  The commentary on these dark matches was probably similar. Obviously they couldnt put that on a dvd, so they likely deleted that "commentary".

Didn't Landy post a pic of Yokozuna in a WWF interview before the Yokozuna gimmick? No idea where that came from.

The DVD was good but I really don't get the logic in Demo/Colossal match I mean they were kicking ass took Andre down and just when they are about to win the belts by pinning Haku one of them just goes for the belts? Surely they know it would be a DQ. I don't remember the house show matches going that way.

#149 Al

Al

Because a wrestling avatar seemed appropriate

• Members
  • 2932 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:37 AM

Amazon has a digital version for $7.99.

#150 JRH

JRH
  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:05 PM

On a side note, I wonder why several of the matches have name graphics during the introductions, if they were never meant to air on tv.

#151 Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian
  • Members
  • 611 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, Sports, Games, Comics, Reading, Television, Movies, Sci-fi, Fantasy.

Posted 17 September 2017 - 01:26 PM

Amazon has a digital version for $7.99.

Awesome! Thanks, Al.

#152 Lee

Lee
  • Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 06:35 PM

On a similar line to this, WWE.com has a quick video up right now of (brief) clips of guys debuting in dark matches before the made it to TV. There's AJ doing a shooting star press on the night of the WCW/ECW Alliance merger, Miz doing a tag match against the Highlanders, Scott Hall in plain black tights and white boots in June '92 squashing Jim Powers, and Kurt Angle doing a leaping Olympic Slam in 1999. Teasingly short, but very cool to see. 

#153 iamthedoctor

iamthedoctor
  • Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:39 AM

On a similar line to this, WWE.com has a quick video up right now of (brief) clips of guys debuting in dark matches before the made it to TV. There's AJ doing a shooting star press on the night of the WCW/ECW Alliance merger, Miz doing a tag match against the Highlanders, Scott Hall in plain black tights and white boots in June '92 squashing Jim Powers, and Kurt Angle doing a leaping Olympic Slam in 1999. Teasingly short, but very cool to see. 

Well the AJ Styles match is out there as saw it on youtube but the others arent.

I just wish they would show the Owen/Angle match given it was filmed before Raw in 1999.

With the DVD set that came out was all the music original? The theme used for the Gunns seemed like a dub as you can't hear the ring announcer during their entrance.

#154 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10258 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:28 AM

I caught these last night so my memory may not be great.

Rockers vs Powers of Pain: To me, this was the Jannetty show. He was exceptional here up and down. I loved his little attempt to cheapshot Warlord (he got caught but it made sense that he'd take any edge) and the powerbomb he ate was massive for 1990. Then he played just a great FIP, bouncing around for the PoP, especially with the biggest back body drops you'd see, selling big, fighting back valiantly and believably (including the biting). In general, this didn't have quite as much to it as the MSG match, but it was still very good. I could have done without the double clotheslines clearly knocking down the PoP in the shine. I liked the superkick and the trip spot and the assisted sunset flip, but save the clear knockdowns for the comeback with the size differential. If they had done that, it would have meant more later. The post match was fun just to see Hogan and the Rockers exist on the same plane. 

Colossal Connection vs Demolition: I was really looking forward to this and was hesitant to watch yesterday because of it. I figured I would because Heenan was out there though, with his shit eating grin and Andre's belt before the match. It was nice to have yet another Heenan-at-ringside match I hadn't seen before. I love the MSG match between these two teams and this had plenty of great stuff if you look at it as pieces and not the whole (because there seems to be a real limit on these Superstars taping dark matches). Even babyface Demos rarely did the blind switches to stooge the heels but here it made a lot of sense due to the size differential and Andre being on the outside (with the Twin Towers they had to do a lot more tags to keep control; here they could stooge Haku and let Andre react). Ax seemed to be really enjoying it. You can tell instantly the difference between him and Smash in the intensity of the clubbering, but I thought Smash did a great job of reacting to Andre. I love how 89-90 Andre could just get a hand in there and his opponent would go flying. He was the most vulnerable, most dangerous monster. Smash was excellent at getting that over. Ax's attempts at choking him to contain him worked well, especially with Andre taking over at the first opportunity; he was so big with such a reach that you had to do everything just to survive. The finish was fine. I'm not even sure if this was a title match or non-title and there was always a streak of wildness to Demolition. It let them make the crowd happy and pose with the belts after the fact and ensured that there'd be another match later. 

Savage vs Warrior: My initial temptation is to gush about Sherri again. She is one of the best ever of being constantly active, just a blur of motion, reacting to each and every thing, yet still being able to make it all about Savage. It's never about her. It's always about what Randy did or was about to do or what happened to him. The more she did, the more it was about him. That's hugely impressive. Obviously, a year after this, she'd be taking almost all the bumps for him too, given his injury. Here, though, this was a fully developed Warrior, the crowd electric for him, just a big, energetic, lug down to the no selling at the end. It was a hell of an act. I hadn't realize he was popping up from the elbow drop so early. Weirdly, the complete invincibility against the knee to the back was more jarring because that's much more of a cheapshot and an equalizer. They probably should have went home immediately after the elbow drop because what else was going to work at that point? Still, this was fun and was a very different dynamic than a year earlier or a year later.

#155 cm funk

cm funk
  • Members
  • 1596 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:03 PM

Didn't Landy post a pic of Yokozuna in a WWF interview before the Yokozuna gimmick? No idea where that came from.

The DVD was good but I really don't get the logic in Demo/Colossal match I mean they were kicking ass took Andre down and just when they are about to win the belts by pinning Haku one of them just goes for the belts? Surely they know it would be a DQ. I don't remember the house show matches going that way.

IIRC I've seen a pre-Yoko gimmick "Kokina" dark match years ago.  Don't quote me on that though

#156 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 9186 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:16 AM

When the Headshrinkers were doing their first few TV squashes, announcers mentioned rumors of a third, bigger Headshrinker. So plans were pretty far ahead for that to go through if they were talking about it on TV.

#157 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 9186 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:16 AM

When the Headshrinkers were doing their first few TV squashes, announcers mentioned rumors of a third, bigger Headshrinker. So plans were pretty far ahead for that to go through if they were talking about it on TV.

#158 SirEdger

SirEdger

Eternal nostalgic...especially about wrestling

• Members
  • 1975 posts
  • Interests:Pro wrestling, fantasy booking, hockey, football, history, UFC, baseball, video games, reading.

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:08 AM

I kinda doubt that they planned 3 years ahead to have The Barbarian become Seone and join the Headshrinkers....Unless Rosey was planned to be a Headshrinker prior to his first run?

#159 peachchaos

peachchaos
  • Members
  • 1003 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:21 AM

I kinda doubt that they planned 3 years ahead to have The Barbarian become Seone and join the Headshrinkers....Unless Rosey was planned to be a Headshrinker prior to his first run?

The third Headshrinker was going to be Yoko.

#160 landy1987

landy1987
  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:52 PM

ek8kAIK.jpg

During the Headshrinkers TV debut match (where they were just called "the Samoans"), Gorilla mentions on commentary that a third Samoan weighing 450 pounds would be coming soon as well, but instead plans changed and they created Yokozuna. Here's that match:

https://www.facebook...67656810166685/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users