Pro Wrestling Only

WWE's "Unseen Matches" DVD

Ricky Jackson

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On to Disc 2:

Hogan vs Earthquake: Did you hear that crowd when Quake came out and they realized it was the main event. That's probably my single biggest takeaway on this taping, just how into everything this crowd was. It's so refreshing and earnest. Ah well. I liked this a lot. Great layout. It's funny that Hogan's not afraid to belabor his inability to get Quake down with one shot but Roma or the Rockers weren't. Perfect layout, really. It's interesting how active Jimmy Hart was here. This is his biggest angle in his entire WWF run and he well knew it.

Really? I was always thought his involvement with HonkyTonk Man, especially in the opening match of the Friday Night live NBC special 2-5-88 was the highlight of his career. I'd put the Hart Foundation title change/ Danny Davis shenanigans next.

• 2 months later...

I'm probably misremembering things since I forget the source on this, but I'm sure I've heard a story that Vince saw Kokina and loved his size but was going to pass on him because he thought two Samoans was enough, and that it was Bobby Heenan who suggested he looked Japanese and should be cast as a sumo instead.

Like I say, I can't recall the source on this, if it was Heenan's book or a shoot interview somewhere but I couldn't find anything on Google, unless anyone knows any better?

My memory is hazy as well, and I certainly can't recall the source, but I remember hearing that Vince was chomping at the bit to do something with the "big Samoan kid" but wanted something more high-profile than a tag team - he just wasn't sure what. Then someone (Heenan?) suggested the Yokozuna gimmick, and the rest is history.

BTW, I'm impressed any of you knew who Akebono was back then - the first I heard of him was when showed up at WrestleMania a few years ago.

I'm probably misremembering things since I forget the source on this, but I'm sure I've heard a story that Vince saw Kokina and loved his size but was going to pass on him because he thought two Samoans was enough, and that it was Bobby Heenan who suggested he looked Japanese and should be cast as a sumo instead.

Like I say, I can't recall the source on this, if it was Heenan's book or a shoot interview somewhere but I couldn't find anything on Google, unless anyone knows any better?

My memory is hazy as well, and I certainly can't recall the source, but I remember hearing that Vince was chomping at the bit to do something with the "big Samoan kid" but wanted something more high-profile than a tag team - he just wasn't sure what. Then someone (Heenan?) suggested the Yokozuna gimmick, and the rest is history.

BTW, I'm impressed any of you knew who Akebono was back then - the first I heard of him was when showed up at WrestleMania a few years ago.

I believe on one of the Legends of Wrestling Roundtables from WWE 24/7, Sgt. Slaughter said he was the one who pitched the gimmick of a sumo wrestler for Yoko.

• 4 weeks later...

“Randy Savage Unreleased: The Unseen Matches of the Macho Man” has just been added to the 2018 WWE Home Video schedule in both the United Kingdom and the United States; the DVD is scheduled to hit the UK on May 28th and follow to the USA just one day later on May 29th. However we’re pleased to report that the newly-revealed “Randy Savage Unreleased” DVD is getting the full 3-disc treatment!

Macho/Taker will probably be one of them alough I have heard a unseen Warrior and unseen HBK could be coming out too.

So it looks like there's a Randy Savage: Unreleased coming out at the end of May. They went to that well a bunch of times for this release. Curious what'll be on there.

I think we will probably get a couple of never before seen matches, but I'd assume the majority of the set will be matches that were simply never released on DVD previously (think Bret Hart's Dungeon Collection). At least that's my take from reading the official synopsis on Wrestlingdvdnetwork.

The Macho Man has had legendary bouts with Hulk Hogan, Rick Rude, Ricky Steamboat, Jake Roberts, and many others. The WWE Universe may be familiar with many of them, but there were several excellent matches that have never made it to DVD. Now fans can own some of the Macho Man’s greatest matches that have never been released on WWE Home Video before.

So it looks like there's a Randy Savage: Unreleased coming out at the end of May. They went to that well a bunch of times for this release. Curious what'll be on there.

I think we will probably get a couple of never before seen matches, but I'd assume the majority of the set will be matches that were simply never released on DVD previously (think Bret Hart's Dungeon Collection). At least that's my take from reading the official synopsis on Wrestlingdvdnetwork.

The Macho Man has had legendary bouts with Hulk Hogan, Rick Rude, Ricky Steamboat, Jake Roberts, and many others. The WWE Universe may be familiar with many of them, but there were several excellent matches that have never made it to DVD. Now fans can own some of the Macho Man’s greatest matches that have never been released on WWE Home Video before.

If they are calling it unseen matches though Im guessing its all new stuff.

“Randy Savage Unreleased: The Unseen Matches of the Macho Man” has just been added to the 2018 WWE Home Video schedule in both the United Kingdom and the United States; the DVD is scheduled to hit the UK on May 28th and follow to the USA just one day later on May 29th. However we’re pleased to report that the newly-revealed “Randy Savage Unreleased” DVD is getting the full 3-disc treatment!

Macho/Taker will probably be one of them alough I have heard a unseen Warrior and unseen HBK could be coming out too.

Really hope we finally get the Savage/Taker match. An unseen HBK match could be interesting too.

The recent releases have been very strict about the Unreleased criteria (surprisingly so, honestly). So I think there's a chance we're getting 3 discs of all new stuff. There really should be enough stuff from TV tapings considering how long he was with the company.

Following on from our exclusive news yesterday concerning the Randy Savage Unreleased project in the works for 2018, WrestlingDVDNetwork.com has received the next Home Video schedule draft which lists everything WWE has on the way from now through to the end of May!

It confirms the planned release dates for a new Hardy Boyz DVD, the aforementioned “Randy Savage Unreleased” DVD, and perhaps the biggest one of them all; WrestleMania 34 which as of this moment will be produced on both DVD and Blu-ray formats. Below you can check out updated schedules for the United States and the United Kingdom.

Twist of Fate will be the name given to the 2018 Hardy Boyz DVD which suggests a match compilation format, therefore we expect the interview footage WWE recently filmed with them to appear in between selected bouts and perhaps also in a Hardy Boyz-themed documentary on the WWE Network in the coming months, likely a “WWE 24” special.

Randy Savage Unreleased: The Unseen Matches of the Macho Man May 28 2018!

• 1 month later...

The Savage match listing is a mixed bag - some legit rare stuff mixed with some stuff from Nitro and Prime Time that's readily available.

http://www.wrestlingdvdnetwork.com/full-match-listing-wwe-randy-savage-unreleased-dvd/151906/

Thats a major disapointment calling it unseen matches when it includes televised matches that have been seen worldwide.

There looks like a couple of new ones but why on earth won't they release Savage/Taker when they obviously teased it a few years ago.

The Savage match listing is a mixed bag - some legit rare stuff mixed with some stuff from Nitro and Prime Time that's readily available.

http://www.wrestlingdvdnetwork.com/full-match-listing-wwe-randy-savage-unreleased-dvd/151906/

If it is I imagine the match will be very similar anyway (especially with Liz and Brother Love in the respective corners), but does anyone know if the mixed tag from Des Moines on 7/17 is the same match that airs on the Hottest Matches Coliseum release or is it a different one?

In addition to the ones mentioned, I look forward to the Megapowers circa 1992 vs Jake and Berzerker, although more to see Hogan work with Jake and Nord since they had very little interaction otherwise. Hogan eliminated the Berzerker from the 92 Rumble and only the brief clips from the Jake match in 86 in the local promo segment that I'm aware. I feel like Hogan and Nord would've worked great together, Hogan selling Nord's power moves like death and then Nord with his incredible bumping for the comeback.