Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-05-05-FMW] Ryuji Yamakawa vs Kintaro Kanemura

soup23

These two had a great deathmatch in Feb and a disappointing one based on clips the week before in BJW. Now, they take their show on the road in front of an FMW crowd. I have this match as somewhere in the middle of the two. This had some big bumps and spots in the first half but had a lot of set up and walking around. Yamakawa just taking the light tube out straight from the light fixture was a unique visual to see. I think the action improved from a consistency standpoint once both reentered the ring. There were some spots that didn’t come off as planned liked the DDT on top of the tables. Top rope DDT gives Kanemura the distinctive advantage and then he puts Yamakawa away with two huge powerbombs. ***

• 1 month later...

I really didn't enjoy how much time they had to take setting up all the spots, but the sloppiness I thought added to the desperate and chaotic nature of the match. This really did feel like a true street brawl (an exaggerated one, of course) that had gotten way out of hand with guys using everything they could get their hands on to attack each other. There was a level of intensity usually missing from these plunder-heavy hardcore brawls. I loved the light fixture thing -- felt like a Wrestling MacGyver moment. I was very into this one. ***1/2

• 10 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [2000-05-05-FMW] Ryuji Yamakawa vs Kintaro Kanemura