Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Payback

Ricky Jackson

Great editorial on Cageside Seats: The Roman rage has gone too far

The fans were downright embarrassing last night.

The Rock isn't an actual member of the Anoa'i family. He's presented as one because he and Afa and Sika's father were blood brothers, but that's not how biology works.

The Rock says: IT DOESN'T MATTER how biology works!!! :D

I dunno, it seems kind of a cop-out to be mad at the fans instead of the company that has been ramming the guy down their throats as the New Cena for years. Fair or not people don't want to see him in the position the company does, yet it's somehow the fans' fault when they push back since this company has a near sociopathic obsession with deliberately not following the lead their audience creates for them.

So instead of pushing the guy who sells merch, has a good look, is over with the demographic they target and wrestles better than everyone else in the style they like they should listen the the internet guys in the crowd who chant stupid shit to get themselves over and will be hardcores no matter what? Seems counterproductive to me.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He won the Bryan feud in 2013/2014

He won the Rumble match but that angle was clearly dropped prematurely, so it's hard to say he "won". Technically, Bray just won the feud with Orton, but it's hard to say anyone won that feud.

I don't know if I can think of another wrestler that has lost more big matches than Bray Wyatt. He did win the Elimination Chamber and title there but then he immediately lost it to Orton and then just lost the Orton rematch.

Has he ever won a feud?

He won last night and won the feud

I don't know if I can think of another wrestler that has lost more big matches than Bray Wyatt. He did win the Elimination Chamber and title there but then he immediately lost it to Orton and then just lost the Orton rematch.

Has he ever won a feud?

He won last night and won the feud

I guess I didn't see it that way. He won the match due to Jinder, after Orton had him beat... and Bray is still not the champ. So all his feud with Orton did was lose him the world title.

yes but technically Bryan never got his revenge on him. I think the Rumble was meant to be the blowoff as Wyatt was moving on to Cena and Bryan was supposed to go to Sheamus

I thought this was the blowoff. It was quite awhile ago though so I probably forgot a lot of it.

Did this happen before the Rumble? I do remember Bryan losing that match.

This is one of those cases where winning and losing don't matter because the takeaways from Mania and Payback are...

- Bray Wyatts "mystical powers" are goofier than they are dangerous

- Randy Orton is the superior wrestler and was never in peril and had outsmarted Wyatt at every turn (even in his signature match)

- It took the interference of the Singh Brothers and Jinder Mahal to beat Orton, because Wyatt alone is powerless and seemingly he is flockless now because nobody bothered to interfere on his behalf - which makes him even more impotent

Where is Bray going on RAW? He feuded with Ambrose and Reigns a year or so ago, right? If they turn him face, they better have a great storyline in mind to get there because even with a cool entrance, why would anyone cheer this loser? The best case scenario after the disaster of this feud might be to send him on a 9 week vacation and see if there's a sudden need for the character closer to the build for SummerSlam.

yes but technically Bryan never got his revenge on him. I think the Rumble was meant to be the blowoff as Wyatt was moving on to Cena and Bryan was supposed to go to Sheamus

I thought this was the blowoff. It was quite awhile ago though so I probably forgot a lot of it.

Did this happen before the Rumble? I do remember Bryan losing that match.

This was about two or three weeks before to set up the match

Has Bray Wyatt ever lost a TV match? And on that note, is there any full-time wrestler that works less TV matches?

Looking just at single matches and discounting DQs and countouts:

Dean Ambrose defeats Bray Wyatt 5/21/15

Roman Reigns defeats Bray Wyatt 6/1/15

Dolph Ziggler defeats Bray Wyatt 8/2/16

So yes, but not many.

Why do I have a bad feeling they're not going to be able to resist pairing him back up with BRAUN at some point. WWE seems enamored with always having a mystical bullshit character around in the upper mid card, and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have any plans for Braun after the Brock match(es).

I wont be a bit surprised if they pair them back up eventually. They have no clue what to do with Bray but they really want to do something with him all the same. They start a number of things they don't see through with him and when he is stuck at the same time they don't know what else to do with Braun they will team them up for 3 more months before having them feud.

When all is said and done, Bray Wyatt will be the Kane of his generation. Which is a shame, the character had so much potential when he debuted, with a terrific intro. As it is, he's already been both totally boring/useless as a character and a black hole of dullness in big matches despite his potential. I'd rather watch a good old Captain Rotunda match. Bray needs to go. Go elsewhere and come back fresh. Oh, but you can't do that now. Look at Randy Orton.

Bray is still a ball of potential to me. If they keep doing NOTHING with him or never quite finishing what they start and he keeps under-performing in big singles matches, yeah, he is on the path to Kanedom, but I still hold out hope. He still has promo chops. He is still unique. His charicter can believably go after just about anyone. Sure he needs some direction. They need to add something to his character, give him a goal, a new wrinkle... SOMETHING, but the Bray Wyatt Gimmick (Performed by Rotunda) has always been and still is a valuable gift that the WWE just doesn't seem to understand or know how to use.

It doesn't help that they never really went all in on the cult leader gimmick at the start. I don't know if it was fear of upsetting sponsors or just general cold feet at pulling the trigger, but every time they were on the brink of doing something with them as a group, it seemed like they'd just wimp out and do the same old lame parlor trick nonsense.

Now they want to push him as a singles threat and pretend like they actually did all this sinister Kevin Sullivan in Florida level stuff with him, instead of how he was actually portrayed as the homeless guy you see downtown who goes around speaking nonsense and thinks he can control people with his mind.

The House of Horrors match is the single worst thing that WWE has ever produced for entertainment purposes. They've done things more tasteless and more offensive, but in terms of pure entertainment value, this was the shits.

They basically tried to ape Total Deletion, but they should have gone down the route of Undertaker/Mankind in the Boiler Room Brawl at Summerslam 1996, especially with the 'match' having to end at the arena anyway.

Bray should have been in his element and have the upper hand, but instead he looks like a chump in his own environment. The acting throughout, the mood music, the editing, the special effects, all of it was absolutely dreadful.

And then part two, with Orton teleporting back to the arena and Jinder Mahals run in was also a waste of time. Jinders belt shot was Gerald Brisco at Survivor Series 1998 level weak.

I enjoyed Bayley and Alexa, and what could have been an awkward finish with the ring post actually came off quite well. The tag title match was fun and I liked the turn well enough.

My favourite moment of the show was actually Jericho putting that fan on the list and signing an autograph for him. Jericho clearly got a kick out of seeing Owens name on the list before he signed too.

Still working my way through the rest of the show.

I think where the House of Horrors fell apart was that it wasn't the Boiler Room Brawl or Total Deletion.

Whether or not you bought the pathos of the BRB, it was presented as a legit match - no spooky soundtrack, the match wrestled in a regular, musty, dark boiler room (not a "haunted" boiler room), no ridiculous post-production editing tricks, Taker nor Mankind making weird dramatic faces to the camera "that wasn't really there" - it was essentially a "reverse" falls count anywhere match building up to a meaningful, memorable finish with at least one hellacious-but-not-cartoonish spot (Foley's back bump to the floor) to make it clear, this was a brutal brawl.

Total Deletion was kind of the opposite. It was absurd and ridiculous and took place in a thoroughly distorted reality...but the fact that it looked like it was edited in a junior high's AV room made it light, funny, and charming in its own weird way. It was Tim & Eric. There isn't a single frame that even bothers to exist within the already-limited realism of a typical pro-wrestling show.

The House of Horrors match sucked for multiple reasons, but to me, part of it is that it was neither. The over-production (the music, the house set, the "acting") was heavy-handed and uninteresting without ever really hitting that "so bad it's good" level. To make matters worse, the actual brawling, in-ring portion, and finish were so flat (all of that work for a Jinder run-in?) that it made the whole thing feel like a throwaway anyway - an excuse to give Wyatt a "win," but nothing more than that.

It was a match seemingly designed to please the small number of people who've always wanted to see what you'd get if you took a late 90s Marilyn Manson video and tacked on your average TV main event screwy finish.

Interesting you'd use the boiler room brawl for reference, as it is also one of the most horrendous things they've ever produced.

The Boiler Room Brawl made far more sense than this offering and was nowhere near horrendous.

The Taker/Mankind match felt more gritty and organic than the overproduced nonsense that was House of Horrors. That actually felt like a fight, whereas the Wyatt/Orton match felt hollow.

With the Boiler Room Brawl, both Taker and Mankind just trying to escape the boiler room had to be earned. But for all of the music, editing, gimmicks and special effects chucked at House of Horrors, there wasn't any sense of struggle, just generic brawling and here's Bray leaving the house and turning it red afterwards for some reason. There was no sense of drama in Orton trying to free himself from the fridge and playing up the risk that if he couldn't escape, he'd risk 'forfeiture'. No drama in him trying to get to the arena to catch up with Wyatt. Just Bray walking down the aisle with his lantern he'd gotten hold of somewhere and then Orton teleporting to the arena. No drama, no suspense, no struggle.

By them presenting something similar to the Boiler Room Brawl, they would have also avoided the obvious continuity issue. The boiler section of Taker/Mankind may have been prerecorded, but at least it transitioned seamlessly into the live portion of the match.

The difference between the two is night and day.

The boiler room brawl is a fucking HALF HOUR match where two dudes aimlessly brawl and find things to hit each other with while making wrestler noises in a boiler room with no lighting. Without commentary. It's horrendous. "Making sense" doesn't mean it's good. It's for sure in the top 10 worst WWE PPV matches of all time.

Actually, probably 7 of the 10 involve Undertaker now that I think about it. And two involve Bray.