Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-05-07-Osaka Pro] Super Delphin vs Takehiro Murahama

soup23

I was so pumped for this match. It starts out right away with both guys grappling on the ground. Delphin is able to hang right there with Murahama. Murahama keeps looking for an opening for strikes but is unable to find any. Delphin pops on a cross armbreaker requiring a quick rope break for Murahama. He got pretty outclassed in that round by the big guy in the yard in Delphin. Murahama gets more openings in the second round and Delphin takes him down immediately to regain control. Murahama opens up and Delphin is hanging onto the ropes to keep his feet. Murahama is getting cocky now and comes parading in allowing Delphin to just put his weight on him. Delphin slips out of a floatover and again just uses his weight advantage to keep Murahama grounded. Really close round to judge if done on the up and up. Murahama absolutely blasts Delphin starting the third round and you can see more desperation in Delphin now as he goes for a crab submission knowing that he needs to put this guy away soon. Murahama gets caught with a German and then Delphin spears him down looking for the arm. Murahama does his most heelish action of the match by going after the eye. Another flurry of punches and a great sell job by Delphin as he goes down to the mat. He just barely makes it up for the count but then gets caught with a leg kick and is in dire shape. He gets to his knees but that is it and Murahama secures a HUGE win. What a way to make a guy. Osaka Pro is very quickly becoming a top five worldwide promotion for me and this is one of the most engaging storylines happening throughout the wrestling landscape in 2000. ****1/4

• 4 months later...

Very good shoot style match with Delphin using his grappling skills to dominate on the ground while Murahama utilizes some great strikes. There was some very good stuff here, but I was left wishing it went a little longer. This goes three rounds with Murahama getting a dominant win as he destroys Delphin with strikes to knock him out. This does an excellent job of establishing Murahama as dominant force.

***3/4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This was pretty great. Super Delfin's power double leg takedowns and ground were the story of the first round. Man is Delfin great on the ground. This is the match that imo puts him on another level for me. I had no idea he was this diverse. His dominant ground work was a total eye opener. The second round was Murahama defending Delfin's takedowns and blasting him with flurries whenever he got the chance to. Murahama getting reckless and swinging a flying spin kick after having the ref. complete a down count on Delfin was great. The final round was a mix of the previous two rounds with a dramatic finish as Delfin comes close of grasping Murahama in a kimura and Murahama cheating by eye raking Delfin to escape and then blitzing him.

This is the second best match of the year for me and they have both been Different Style Fights involving Murahama. At this pace, I could see Murahama being my #1 if he can continue to put on performances like this.

****3/4

• 2 weeks later...

So cool to see Delphin work this kind of a match, and his takedowns were explosive. He wasn't able to get much going on the mat, mostly due to positioning, and in the second round, Murahama starts lobbing more punches to try and slow him down. But the third round was awesome, with Delphin absorbing Murahama's blows to try and get the quick submission with the single leg. After the German, Delphin tries for the double wristlock or kimura but Murahama's such a baby, he has to rake Delphin's eyes to escape. Loved it. Then, like in most of these "Different Style" fights, Murahama pummels him with strikes and high kicks him in the head for the KO. Good stuff.

This was a fun striker vs. grappler match with Delfin dominating on the ground and with superior takedowns but eating shots standing. So, sort of like a UFC or PRIDE fight. Who would've fought Osaka Pro would reactivate the old FMW different style fight formula? Delfin had great takedown and throws here and Murahama couldn't do a thing on the ground to him. Pretty cool to see a character worker such as Delfin put the antics aside and show what a badass he is. Murahama, again, had great strike combos and I liked how he just gouged Delfin's eyes when he had enough of all that. Super simple match executed extremely well.

• 4 months later...

Murahama comes out with Ratt as his theme music. Super Delphin's beak looks smaller than usual. Delphin just goes for it in the beginning, overwhelming Murahama on the mat. He is able to counter everything Murahama does for the first two rounds by taking it to the mat. In the third round, after Murahama goes after the eyes, he starts connecting with his strikes and knocks out Delphin. Short, but intense match that contrasted the strengths and weaknesses of the two competitors well. One of the best Super Delphin performances I have seen.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-05-07-Osaka Pro] Super Delphin vs Takehiro Murahama
  • 3 months later...

This was the best I’ve seen Delphin so far. Murahama keeps impressing in Osaka Pro.  I think had this match gone on longer, it would be a stone cold classic. As it is, it’s still a tremendous match that I still highly recommend.  I love the different takedowns that Delphin goes for throughout and shows he is also very adept on the mat as well. Murahama is a wonderful asshole at the end of the match and postmatch garnering boos from the crowd. Great great match!