Pro Wrestling Only

Weirder smark obsession: Roman Reigns or Women's hair?

stro

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just spent two matches in a row thinking about Ricky Morton and Mitsuharu Misawa's hair. I'm bucking the trend here.

I am out of touch with the modern world but what's the difference between talking about wrestlers' hair and their ring attire? It's an image-driven industry and your hair is part of your gimmick or your look. I can't understand why people are getting sensitive about this one way or the other.

There is not one girl I can name who looks better with short hair than long hair and I've seen thousands of women.

Halle Berry says hello.

There is not one girl I can name who looks better with short hair than long hair and I've seen thousands of women.

This is just my opinion though. I would think if a study was done, men would prefer long hair but I'd love to a true study on it.

About to add a new choice:

Anger at WWE's branding and marketing, as if they just realized WWE uses insistent terminology, something the company has been doing since the 1970s.

You'd have to be more detailed here as to what you mean.

There's a definite increase in buzzwords these days compared to before.

Anger at WWE's branding and marketing, as if they just realized WWE uses insistent terminology, something the company has been doing since the 1970s.

You'd have to be more detailed here as to what you mean.

There's a definite increase in buzzwords these days compared to before.

The biggest ones right now are people getting losing their shit to Nakamura being called "The Artist" every time he's mentioned and guys mentioning the full PPV name during promos. You know, like Hogan was always called the Hulkster or The Immortal One, Bret was always called the Hitman, Savage the Macho Man etc etc. God forbid people say the name of the show their match is on.

Hard to get indignant over watching a company who makes its money with its branding selling you its branding every week.

The way they clearly have to use a nickname every time someone is mentioned when they first come up with a nickname now and calling Hogan 'Hulkster' is not the same thing.

The problem with this stuff is that it makes the way people speak seem very unnatural. Saying the full name of the PPV every time is bizarre especially if it's got a name like 'Fastlane: End of the Line'. Calling the crowd 'The Universe' even in the context of wrestlers brawling into the crowd. Not using the word belt no matter what, Jinder Mahal stole the belt from Randy Orton and a commentator told us that Orton is the champion but Mahal 'has the title'. That makes no sense

'This past week' instead of ever saying last Monday or last Tuesday. 'Medical facility' instead of hospital. You can never say US champion it's United States champion every time.

Everybody having to say things in a particular way makes it obvious that everything is a script and not feel real.

That's such a minor thing to get pissy at.

It's not exactly a minor thing. It makes everything sounds ridiculous and, for me, unlistenable. It's like every *element* of the WWE is like WCW's infamous "international object". It's a brand new way of pro-wrestling being fake as all hell.

I love that people are still mad about WWE calling itself "sports entertainment" especially when they act like it's something new and the reason that ratings are down. Somehow it was WRESTLING in the Attitude Era and only after that it became sports entertainment when they were using that term during and before the Attitude Era.

I think Vince coining the term "sports entertainment" to con sponsors and TV execs into thinking he was somehow promoting something different from all those other wrestling companies is one of the smartest and greatest carny things ever in wrestling.

Wrestlers have never sounded "natural" in so far as talking like average people. I don't think a whole lot of people in the 80s were going around calling everyone "Daddy" or "Jack" or "Baby" other than wrestlers. Or the rampant use of "Let me tell ya something"

Sports-entertainment still sounds dumb as fuck, 30 years later. No one in real life says there's "sports-entertainment fan" or that they watch "sports-entertainment" or that they go to a "sports-entertainment show". It sounds completely idiotic.