Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-05-13-NWA Wildside-TV] A.J. Styles vs Eddie Golden

soup23

Here we are with the latest dose of Golden vs Styles. They do say that Eddie’s uncle is Jimmy Golden in this match. They keep putting over the ladder match between these two but I think I liked this match better as it is more fundamentally sound and tells a better story through the work of both men. Bailey just stomping on Styles on the outside as Al Getz laughs on commentary is a nice moment. Styles is really bumping all over the place smacking the ring barricade. Referee gets bumped and here comes Steve Martin to make the count like he has done before. Right before the three, AJ pulls up and then he attacks Martin. Jorge Estrada comes out and AJ gives him the facebuster. AJ now is a member of Bailey’s team. It seems like they are trying to do a Barry Windham 1988 style turn here for AJ but it didn’t really make sense that way. **3/4

• 3 months later...

AJ looks like a lost Backstreet Boy in his ring attire. But he flies all over the place getting great elevation on his dropkick and easily leaping to the top rope with no hands, doing his backflip off Golden's torso, etc. Styles indeed does take a radical bump into the guardrail and I do appreciate him milking his athleticism in his bumping so much. This descends into chaos but the match itself was nice before the big angle. I liked Styles aggressiveness during the beatdown though.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Rematch for the TV title after Golden had defeated Styles for the belt at ‘Hardcore Hell’ in the ladder match. Some lovely fluid chain wrestling between these two opens things up, before Styles takes Golden down with an arm drag. He escapes the armbar, but after an A.J. dropkick he’s right back at that arm. Whip to the turnbuckles, Styles runs in and leaps up onto Golden’s chest, flips backwards and then levels him with a clothesline. The powerbomb is countered by an ‘Alabama Slam’ and Golden drops a knee to A.J.’s groin. He throws Styles to the outside and then distracts the referee enabling Jeff G. Bailey to get some shots in behind his back. Sunset flip by A.J. back into the ring. Golden grabs the ropes to prevent him from being taken down, however the official kicks his arms to break the grasp and Styles completes for a two. Big clothesline that A.J. takes a spinning flip bump off. Top rope splash, but Styles gets his foot up and Golden flies head first into it. Running forearm smash in the corner. The ref is over saying something to Golden, but he’s too close to him and is obviously going to get bumped here… and so he does when A.J. goes for it again and Golden pulls him in front of him. The official rolls out the ring and you see Jeff G. Bailey putting the boots to him. Action continues inside and Styles with a ‘Downward Spiral’ off the middle. He makes the cover and Steve Martin runs from the commentary booth and into the ring to count the pin. However A.J. gets up off Golden at the count of two, as Al Getz speculates that he knows he’s not the legal referee and therefore has no power. After seemingly pondering what to do, Styles attacks Martin and gives him a ‘Downward Spiral’. Jorge Estrada is out to confront him, and when A.J. says to calm down “it’s okay”, boom, ‘Downward Spiral’ number three. Bailey then tells Martin that he’s finished, this is ‘his’ company, it’s the Jeff G. Bailey Arena and he implores him to give it all up.

Glad I wasn’t the only one who thought the A.J. turn made no sense, although it had at least been hinted at in the Jesse Taylor match from 4/29. Interesting to see what his reasoning is for joining Bailey if we have that. I’m not fond of the ‘Downward Spiral’ as a move at the best of times, but yeah, it looked even worse off the middle rope.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-05-13-NWA Wildside-TV] A.J. Styles vs Eddie Golden
  • 1 month later...