Pro Wrestling Only

[2017-05-05-BJW] Hideki Suzuki vs Yuji Okabayashi

superkix

The power vs. technique dynamic is one of my favorite match types in all of pro-wrestling and Big Japan pulls it off better than most. As much as I like Suzuki's matches against Sekimoto, Okabayashi conveys so much more emotion to his matches. He was fantastic against Suzuki, hossing his way out of Suzuki's fingertips as the champ tries to bend him to his will. Suzuki's armwork was brutal and he does such a good job of staying on it, even with Yuji trying to shake him. One of the best spots of the match came when Yuji puts Suzuki in a camel clutch -- Suzuki is trying to snap his fingers while Okabayashi wrenches back with a one-handed variation. Yuji's able to avoid the double arm suplex throughout the match but in the end, he gets trapped in a modified octopus hold and has no choice but to submit. Great match, terrific selling from Okabayashi, and plenty of Suzuki's no-nonsense awesomeness.

I really like this current Suzuki run against the Strong Heavyweight division. He brings a different dynamic to the matches and he's confident enough to look like a legit invader/ace. In this one he just obliterates Yuji's arm to limit his offense and it works. Okabayashi does a really good at selling - only 1 spot was iffy and it can be attributed to "fighting spirit" - it was like watching a wild beast trying to defeat a more intelligent opponent. Yokohama is tame as usual but I wasn't expecting anything different, the fact that they showed life for the last minutes shows the good job Hideki and Yuji did obama.png . The left plenty of room for a rematch so I hope we get to see it down the line. Now it's time for the young guns to step up to the plate, or at least that's what I hope, and that should be fun to watch.

• 1 month later...

Hideki Suzuki & Yuji Okabayashi crafted the most compelling story told via pro wrestling match of 2017 here. Just a masterful performance from Hideki who was brilliant starting the match fighting from underneath; Okabayashi was overwhelming him with his power, so he had to come up with something - and he damn right did. He started to work over Okabayashi's arm in every opening he got - absolutely brilliant stuff, a complete masterful performance by Hideki. Okabayashi's selling was really good, he did his comebacks while showcasing the big pain he was in because of Hideki's brilliant work on his arm. Quite possibly the best match of 2017; it's super close between it, Okada/Shibata & a few others though. *****

The opening of this match symbolically identified how strong style mat work can look like and be effective. The first five minutes are almost exclusively a test of strength and a Yuji headlock. Everything was snug and both guys exemplified the struggle they went through to gain the advantage. Yuji takes the advantage with some strikes on the outside but is overtaken back inside the ring and Suzuki looks after the arm of Yuji. The work here from Hideki was done well and it wasn’t so overt that I wasn’t too bothered by the lack of long term selling we got by Yuji when he goes back on the advantage. Suzuki does revisit the arm attack at opportune times and Yuji is having to play the powerful monster performer that is not going to back down. Because this is a Big Japan strong style match, we get a bit of no selling with Okabayashi popping up from a dragon suplex to deliver a lariat. He does sell immediately afterward and is favoring that arm that has been worked over. The finale plays beautifully into the story of the match as Yuji fights out of a nasty submission to gain the advantage with a big time lariat but then misses the big splash. Suzuki is then able to lock in the submission and the match is stopped when Yuji is unable to escape. A really violent match that also told a cohesive story. ****1/4

Wow, I had high expectations for this and it smashed them. They really committed to the strength vs. technique thing, but just because it was expected doesn't mean they didn't make it really interesting. The holds here feel actually worked for, not just Suzuki (or Yuji) rolling around and then applying every hold the way it always looks, but rather actually making it look like something that came from a specific, distinct situation. I think maybe Okabayashi doesn't get the same love as his buddy Sekimoto because he doesn't have as loud of facial expressions, but he still shows emotion really well and works really nicely as a foil for Suzuki's stuff. Fav men's match in Japan so far this year, probably? ****1/2

• 4 months later...

Awesome old-school match with some great spots and creative arm-work. I need to dive deeper on Big Japan - every time I watch one of the pimped matches I find myself really enjoying them but I've never done a deep dive or watched consistently. This was a great counter swing to the NJPW and PWG I've been watching lately, much slower pace but better build to spots and everything felt way more snug. Suzuki has a fantastic performance and I'm really curious to see more of his 2017 work.

Okabayashi is always fun to watch but Suzuki is the star here with really good submission work and a strong finish.

• GSR changed the title to [2017-05-05-BJW] Hideki Suzuki vs Yuji Okabayashi