• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 stro

stro

legitshook.com

• Banned
  • 975 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:31 AM

He kind of sucked, right? Outshadowed in every partnership he's been (E&C, Edge/Rey, Edge/Lita, Rated RKO, Edge/Vickie, Edge/Jericho), inability to be good outside of gimmick matches, frequently injured, consistently overpushed his entire career, basically killed Smackdown for a decade after his terrible terrible La Familia run, promos ranged from horrible comedy (watch the 2000/2001 era stuff, it's absolutely brutal, pun intended) to overwrought crazy/serious which meant he'd pull his hair and shake. 

He's been pushed SO hard as a top level WWE legend since he retired since anyone who retires or dies prematurely gets martyred. In the end, he's about the most groan worthy guy if I even end up watching 2003-2011 stuff. He has maybe 4-5 matches in his main event run worth talking about, and only one of them isn't a gimmick match (Taker vs Edge at WM, which in retrospect was the turning point in the streak becoming finisher fests and making it impossible to buy one tombstone as a finish). 

He's almost Jeff Jarrett-esque, in that he's a competent enough guy who kept inexplicably being pushed to the top of the card even when it was a detriment to the show. WWE willingingly killed SD to keep pushing him, giving him the blue version of HHH's death reign, except even worse.

#2 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8703 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:52 AM

He was not very good but he was not THAT bad. The one thing I truly hated bout him (apart from the stupid facials, the worst spear ever, the bad WWE comedy) was the fact he, along with the Hardies, brought the infamous "wasted-motion spots" style of working, with awkward body-movement spots requiring illogical bumping or positioning  just to make them look "cool".

As soon as Christian showed up in late 1998, it was obvious he was the worker though.

Probably a nice guy from all acounts, but your typical overrated WWE-only worker and "legend" from the monopoly era.

#3 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10153 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:58 AM

The talking point is that his deal is having good gimmick matches but not much else. I'm not sure if that actually holds up.

#4 JKWebb

JKWebb
  • Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:59 AM

Well, I wouldn't go all Jeff Jarrett on him.  I was at the Rumble when he returned in Atlanta, and the crowd popped HUGE.  There was a certain charisma about him that obviously a lot of people enjoyed on a higher level than that of a JJ.  You think if JJ was the surprise entrant in that Rumble anyone would have popped?  Nah...  I'm not trying to call out Jarrett either.  I use that name just because it was used here.  Jarrett had his moments in Memphis and Dallas that were fun.  But, it's also a fun comparison.  I'm not sure I know anyone that loved JJ being the top guy in TNA all those years, and I definitely recall friends not buying him during the later years of WCW.  However, I bet there are lots of folks out there that LOVED Edge as champion. 

#5 stro

stro

legitshook.com

• Banned
  • 975 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:28 AM

I wasn't talking about reaction to him, I was talking about why a guy at his talent level keeps dominating the top of the card and it makes no sense. Although I do have the same reaction to Edge's main event run as I do to Double J's WCW run.

#6 JKWebb

JKWebb
  • Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:41 AM

Right, and I was meaning maybe it made sense because of the reaction he was getting?

#7 Exposer

Exposer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 2198 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:43 AM

In the Randy Orton thread, someone mentioned they'd rather watch a Best of Edge comp. I'm the exact opposite. I hated Edge so much. Terrible facial expressions. Embarassing overacting. The "running hug." A 2 year dominance on SD from 07-09 that killed the show from a business standpoint. When he returned to the show in the fall of 2010, SD had a made a decent comeback, at least in terms of quality, but then that awful Kane feud happened where he kidnapped Paul Bearer. Really bad stuff. The injuries were bad too, as he'd get hurt all the time. The 07 & 09 injuries were especially bad timing, yet he got opportunity after opportunity. Years later, a much better talent in Wade Barrett had the same injury problems & didn't get the near the level of promotion. Barrett might not have made money for WWE, near did Edge really, but he would have been far more successful on top as a talent because he was way better than Edge. That's just one example of course. Edge seems like a helluva nice guy actually, but his years as a wrestler sucked.

On why he kept being pushed, I think the deal was the Edge/Lita pairing did monster ratings because people wanted to see Lita perform sexual acts on live television. I'm assuming WWE thought that had to do with Edge & kept pushing him because they had one big rating years after they didn't consistently have huge ratings.

#8 stro

stro

legitshook.com

• Banned
  • 975 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 01:40 PM

Right, and I was meaning maybe it made sense because of the reaction he was getting?

A surprise returning main eventer will always get a big pop in the Rumble. I'm not sure that's the best way to judge his popularity. And it's always impossible to tell who was truly over or not on SD due to the sound machine. The Edge/Jericho match at WM that year was pretty heatless.

#9 Mrzfn

Mrzfn
  • Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 01:44 PM

Not that the point doesn't have merit, but a comparison to Jarrett does seem a little extreme to me. I can certainly think of more Edge matches that I enjoy as opposed to Jarrett, in pretty much any category. He had his flaws but he had his moments too.

#10 GOTNW

GOTNW

save all japan pro wrestling

• Members
  • 1885 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 01:55 PM

He had some fun WWE style stuntfests but I have zero interest in rewatching anything with him any time soon. He feels like such an afterthought if you're interested in great wrestling. Not nearly as good as Mick Foley, who, among being a bigger lunatic, at least didn't hammer having crappy offence by thinking up a million stupid indy moves and kept it to some self sacrificing ones and some meh basic moves. And Mick Foley is not nearly as good at that style of wrestling as LA Park, Necro Butcher or Atsushi Onita.

#11 JKWebb

JKWebb
  • Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 02:00 PM

Well, I wouldn't judge his popularity solely by a surprise pop at the Rumble.  I just meant that if Jeff Jarrett, or someone like him, had returned in that spot.... since you compared him to JJ... I do not think they would have gotten that pop.  I think it takes a certain level of charisma to achieve a pop like that, and to be perceived as a main eventer.  There are a lot of people that don't like Edge at all, whether it's ring work or his persona.  However, I think there a lot of people that were really into him, and I think he had enough charisma to get over at a level higher than that of a JJ or someone at JJ's level.  So, all I'm saying is ... to answer your initial question... in my opinion... he was booked on top more for his charisma than maybe what you might be looking for in him.  It's just a thought...

#12 FMKK

FMKK
  • Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 02:48 PM

It's strange that he had what seemed like a long main event run but when you think back on it, it was only really about 5 years between his first world title and his retirement. It's hard to think of anything from that run that's of any consequence except for maybe the Cena feud.

#13 Mrzfn

Mrzfn
  • Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:19 PM

The Foley stuff in '06 and the Taker stuff in '08 would warrant a mention for some, myself included.

#14 Cornette's racket

Cornette's racket
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:23 PM

I think his retirement has helped edge to a degree, and the fact that he couldn't ever come back helped him not tarnish his legacy. That said I was a fan of edge and maybe it's nostalgia but I'm not as down as some above are on edge. I've been listening to his podcast with Christian and when they are talking about wrestling in detail you get to see how good of a wrestling mind Christian has. I hope Christian is put into the HOF soon.

#15 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5669 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:44 PM

I didn't have a problem with him during the Smackdown Six era or the feud with Hardy. It was the Rated-RKO stuff that made him unbearable. 

#16 stro

stro

legitshook.com

• Banned
  • 975 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:07 PM

The talking point is that his deal is having good gimmick matches but not much else. I'm not sure if that actually holds up.

Do you have a list of quality singles matches that didn't involve gimmicks? 

#17 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10153 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:08 PM

Hey, I don't even have a list of quality singles matches that do involve gimmicks.

#18 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2337 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:06 PM

I can probably come up with something. (When did I turn into a moderate on Edge?!?!)

#19 NintendoLogic

NintendoLogic

Grim and frostbitten

• Members
  • 2653 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:16 PM

Depending on how loosely one defines gimmick match, the cage match with Matt Hardy at Unforgiven is really good. And I haven't seen the Del Rio match at WM27 since it happened, but I remember thinking at the time that it was the best match on the show.

#20 stro

stro

legitshook.com

• Banned
  • 975 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:25 PM

In what world is a cage match not a gimmick match?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users