Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-05-24-WCW-Thunder] Konnan & Rey Mysterio Jr & Juventud Guerrera & Disco Inferno vs Gen. Rection & Lt. Loco & Crpl. Cajun & Major Stash (Elimination)

soup23

These two factions had a pretty compelling match last week but this was a step back IMO. MIA has no heat from the crowd and Major Gunns has no charisma. You could tell they really tried to present her kicking Disco Inferno in the balls as this big spot but it got no reaction. Filthy Animals in some ways act like the faces here as a result and the match doesn’t ever really gain a flow and is just a series of eliminations. The only redeeming quality is that Chavo again looks good and motivated in this role oddly enough. Stasiak interferes at will halfway through this and that brings out Booker T in camo garb. The match sort of gets thrown out with MIA declared the winners somehow. Booker seems above these guys. *1/2

• 3 months later...

The M.I.A. charge to the ring and this is underway with all eight men getting it on in the ring. Van Hammer presses Juvi and throws him out of the ring and onto Konan. Disco is whipped to the corner and all four members of the M.I.A. splash him in turn. Major Gunns gets in the ring attempting to look all sexy and sultry, rips off her T-shirt and kicks him in the balls! Juvi clotheslines Chavo out onto the rampway, but Lt. Loco with a big running dive over the top and back into the ring at ‘the Juice’. Crpl. Cajun just about hangs on to a Rey headscissors attempt which he counters into a sideslam, before getting a two count off a lariat. Rey and Juvi then team up to get the first near fall for the Filthy Animals with a combination dropkick/sunset flip on Lash. Juvi whips him into the corner, monkey flip, but Lash reverses position and sits him on the top turnbuckle. He climbs up to the second rope himself and starts to unload with punches, when Disco is in from behind and they team up to superbomb Lash for the first elimination (the M.I.A. being distracted by something on the outside, although what is never made clear). Big boot by Hammer to Disco which he follows with an elbow drop for two. He botches a ‘Cobra clutch’ slam on Juvi, but it looks like he might have hurt himself for real somehow. Disco grabs a kendo stick and nails the remaining member of the M.I.A. with it, and Rey with a chair assisted legdrop off the top to the back of Major Stash and now he’s out of there too. Swinging neckbreaker by Disco to Chavo. He whips him into the turnbuckles, charges, but is met with a back elbow. One tornado DDT later Disco is gone and we’re down to four (not sure what happened to Konan?). Chavo immediately goes for the tornado DDT on Juvi, however he blocks it, but his ‘Juvi Driver’ attempt is then countered into an inverted suplex. Tag to Hugh Morrus, moonsault and Shawn Stasiak is out to break up the pin. He puts the boots to the General until Booker T in army fatigues makes the save. There’s no finish to this as the match seems to have just broken down, still the official raises the hands of the M.I.A. in victory.

I rewatched the start to see if I could work out what happened to Konan and it looks like he got hurt when catching Juvi off that press slam to the floor. You can see him on the outside favouring his shoulder and he just decides to head to the back rather than wrestle. I wasn’t a fan of the match these teams had last week and the same applies again. A clunky, disjointed, patchy match with several botches punctuated by the odd occasional high spot (Chavo’s dive, Rey’s chair assisted legdrop). When the eliminations started they rushed through them and the non-finish makes the match even worse. By the way, the camera cuts to a brief backstage brawl going on between several members of both teams whilst the action is still taking place in the ring and Van Hammer is involved in that, so it doesn’t look like he was as hurt as I first thought.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-05-24-WCW-Thunder] Konnan & Rey Mysterio Jr & Juventud Guerrera & Disco Inferno vs Gen. Rection & Lt. Loco & Crpl. Cajun & Major Stash (Elimination)