Pro Wrestling Only

Between the Sheets #95 (May 10-16, 1992) (Featuring Steven Prazak)

C_1vGSUU0AAWV2U.jpg

Kris & David discuss the week that was May 10-16, 1992. We are quickly joined by Steven Prazak to discuss his thoughts of Bill Watts joining WCW and his entire run there which was interesting because he was a “notorious” regular at the Center Stage shows. We then talk proper about the Watts hiring and Dave Meltzer’s thoughts at the time about it which are highly interesting. We also talk about the Japanese scene featuring PWFG & RINGS running big shows then we talk about the scene in Mexico featuring the debut of AAA and how they changed the business forever there. We also talk about the upswing in Memphis with a great Eddie Gilbert/Jerry Lawler clip, we also talk about FMW coming to Los Angeles & Tijuana for a couple of wild shows before closing with WWF with the sex scandal looming large as well as steroids. This is a STACKED show so listen ASAP!!!!

Timestamps:

0:00:00 Steve Prazak on Bill Watts in WCW

0:22:04 WCW

1:53:06 Japan: AJPW, PWFG, RINGS, & Oriental Pro

2:08:49 Classic Commercial Break

2:13:24 Housekeeping & The Amazon Game

2:55:43 Latin America: AAA, EMLL, UWA, & WWC

3:26:41 Other USA: UWF, USWA, GWF, FMW/WWA, Portland, & Potpourri

5:06:44 WWF

To support the show and get access to exclusive rewards like special members-only monthly themed shows, go to our Patreon page at https://patreon.com/BetweenTheSheets and become an ongoing Patron. Becoming a Between the Sheets Patron will also get you exclusive access to not only the monthly themed episode of Between the Sheets, but also access to our new mailbag segment, a Patron-only chat room on Slack, and anything else we do outside of the main shows!

You can also support the show by shopping with our Amazon referral link at https://tinyURL.com/BTSAmazon — Nothing extra comes out of your wallet, but Amazon gives us a kickback for referring you to them.

To subscribe, you can find us on iTunes, Google Play, and just about every other podcast app’s directory, or you can also paste http://feeds.FeedBurner.com/BTSheets into your favorite podcast app using whatever “add feed manually” option it has.

http://placetobenation.com/between-the-sheets-95-may-10-16-1992/

I wasn't opposed to the WCWSN talk show format, but with the talk show format *and* long 2-out-of-3-falls main events it reeked of Frey and WCW trying to eat their cake and have it, too. You can either do a Southern version of TNT with non-wrestling guest commentators or have long, dry, technical main events, but doing both was a collision of worlds that didn't work. (Dave Casper, of all people, was another guest.)

I believe Campus Crush was going to be a PPV from Boulder, Colorado.

I wasn't opposed to the WCWSN talk show format, but with the talk show format *and* long 2-out-of-3-falls main events it reeked of Frey and WCW trying to eat their cake and have it, too. You can either do a Southern version of TNT with non-wrestling guest commentators or have long, dry, technical main events, but doing both was a collision of worlds that didn't work. (Dave Casper, of all people, was another guest.)

I believe Campus Crush was going to be a PPV from Boulder, Colorado.

would long main events be a round-about way to pay a few fewer people to job on SN? (for whomever is on a per appearance contract somehow)

also, they could have held Campus Crush at the White Castle of Fear.

Personally I liked the Papa Shango warrior feud. The thing that pissed me off as a kid was when warrior would disappear.

When warrior's music hit at end of Wrestlemania 8 you have to admit that it was one of the most exciting moments ever. Warrior was gone for long time and returns looking awesome. If he stayed for mania 9. He should have done the job for Sid Justice. But sid was gone also. Sid should have been the next top guy in WWF at the time.

1.) I went through the Newsletters a few years ago and the steroid stuff week in and week out is so tedious looking back. I understand how important it was at the time and that the general health is important, but it's a slog.

2.) Papa Shango, more than anything else, was the reason I stopped watching heavily in 92. So add me to that list. I think I fall under the "it was just too gross for me." category. The Black Ooze and the Puking. I was fine with the fire and the voodoo injuries. I think Kris tried to get across the difference in that it wasn't necessarily a realism thing so much as an "not entertaining and embarrassingly unpleasant." thing.