Pro Wrestling Only

...Dive

Coffey

He is clearly fishing for a booking (earlier post about getting ready if Will is ever ready for a contest) or working to sling shirts. That's pretty tasteless. I am going to commence ignoring ol's Rip's part in all this.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It just struck me that Randy Orton of all people becoming a spokesperson for the Old Ways when he was groomed for success from day one and never had to try to make a name for himself on the indy scene. Seems like an asshole thing to do criticizing guys for doing whatever they can to get themselves over (even if it is too much) when he's never had to do it himself.

I don't have any interest in "sides" in this. I am not even sure this can be seriously reduced to just two sides. I suppose I did say "I am with Ricochet", but all I really meant was that I thought he sort of took the high road with his remarks and I agreed. I also thought the Jimmy Savile stuff Rip was posting was unfortunate. Other than that, I got no dog in this fight, and really haven't in years. I am not even sure there is a "truth" in any of this, just a bunch of realities about the demands of the wrestling business in different generations and a bunch of opinions about what constitutes good/compelling wrestling.

I'm just curious if anyone else doesn't feel the need to take a side on this. Both sides have valid points, and both sides are wrong about things. The truth is probably something else entirely.

This is typically the case on most arguments/discussions. But people love black and white and don't seem to have much patience for grey anymore.

I'm just curious if anyone else doesn't feel the need to take a side on this. Both sides have valid points, and both sides are wrong about things. The truth is probably something else entirely.

Yep, that pretty much sums up my feelings on the situation perfectly.

Mine too, I just felt like Randy was the wrong person to make the case for his side since he's the kind of guy who makes you want to disagree with him on principle no matter if he's right or not.

It is a bit...odd...I guess would be the right term, how people on both sides have a near religious fervor at times about their particular side. It's not like you would watch a WWE show, a New Japan show, and then say a CMLL show and be surprised they all have a different approach to how they lay out a match. I think Dave sums it up best that if the live crowd goes wild for it then it works.

I think Orton has less of a point than he used to. In 2003, a guy like Ospreay doing so much was likely going to lead to injuries without much financial benefit. Now? He's a guy who can help NXT draw on the road and hone his character and work there and go to the main roster and make good money for several years. Being a flippy indy guy is now a valid way to try to make good money in the business if you don't have size or great promos. Look at Finn getting a big push while being small and not particularly inspirational on the mic, it's a different time.

I didn't really get into all of it but getting the most out of everything > doing a whole bunch of stuff and getting little out of it. Randy Orton is a safe worker, but also my pick for the longest main event wrestlers with the worst run. If he were 5'9 Randy Jordan, he'd be nobody.

I really don't like the indy style that prioritizes match quality over everything else. That's not what wrestling is about. The actual match part of wrestling is usually just a vehicle for something else. Characters and booking are much more important and are the real meat to the story. I can put Lawler in a million different situations and he would make it work. I can't say the same for a lot of the new GOATs like Omega, Osperay and Brian XL.

Alot of the buzz right now about wrestling is coming from people who don't watch wrestling. Normally, this would create a boom and would be great for wrestling, but wrestling isn't doing great and the extra people are drowning out the people who've stuck with it through thick and thin. I don't want reddit and buzzfeed determining the future of wrestling and I hope they get their fill and move on to something else.

The Cow Palace show was also promoted heavily around nostalgia, being the first California based promotion to run the arena since Roy Shire closed down in 1981. They even ran a battle royal, which was the main attraction on the biggest show of the year back in the golden days. So that accounted for a good deal of the interest I would think