Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Backlash 2017

...TG

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am guessing this is to further expand their already massive Indian fanbase. WWE is covered online by a couple of mainstream Indian newspapers, so "Indian dude is the WWE Champion" will most assuredly be an article pumped out.

It started when they gave Khali a month-long world title reign. As terrible as Khali was, I will go to my pyre defending that booking, because that just opened up the market big-time. Wrestling was popular here before as well, but this got it to the next level; it was all over the news here, and now India is their 3rd most profitable market, which is even more impressive when you consider the personal disposable income here compared to America and the UK.

I just wish there were better Indian wrestlers available.

A really loud "Let's go Jinder" chant. Yeah I don't fucking get it. Did Orton piss off that many people?

Jinder ain't great... but he's new. Something different. Orton is the same old shit.

He isn't new. He has been a jobber since around 2010. Probably longer. The only difference is that he is a jobber thanking god that champions don't have to deal with wellness tests.

I mean is he even Hindu to begin with? I know he is Canadian.

A really loud "Let's go Jinder" chant. Yeah I don't fucking get it. Did Orton piss off that many people?

Jinder ain't great... but he's new. Something different. Orton is the same old shit.

He isn't new. He has been a jobber since around 2010. Probably longer. The only difference is that he is a jobber thanking god that champions don't have to deal with wellness tests.

He is Sikh, I think.

Not really a Jnder fan but it's something different. Cool with it. And hey Jinder dominated the build to this match and won. Very rarely does WWE do that. Interesting to see where this goes. Orion is probably at his lowest point since around .wM 30 where he seemed completely irrelevant

He new in the main event scene. Randy Orton is like a sixty-seven time champion. No one gives a shit anymore.

I'm not a fan of guys winning the Royal Rumble, then winning the title at Wrestlemania, then only being champion for less than two months. But that's probably an outdated complaint at this point, even if I do wish new champions at Wrestlemania were the centerpiece until at least Summerslam. And I don't even like Orton. It's not about him. It's just short-sighted in a way where it's obvious they have no clue where they are going a few months from now.

No problem with them creating a new star. That part is great. I wish they had taken a few months to build him up first, and I wish they had maybe picked someone that fans were clamoring to see climb the ladder. But it is what it is, and a new star is better than no star at all. If it helps them break into new markets, fantastic. It would be even better if they could get past their tokenism (look how long they have been looking for "a Latin star" post-Rey, as in one Latin star), but the game has changed. WWE fans are no longer the customers. Instead, they are the product, and the real target audience resides on Wall Street.

Another thing about building that fan base, if they are really serious about getting this WWE India think going then he has to be a champion for at least a 2 or 3 months after their tour. They can't just have him drop quickly once they got what they wanted like they did with Khali. I know they aren't the "smartest" (in the business side not the intelligence side) fan base. I mean they thought that Raka Kin thing TNA did was really good. But they would have to smell something fishy.

Awfully curious how instead of going the clear route of "Jinder really isn't that good of a wrestler" of being the reason why you're not happy with him being a champion, most people are jumping to steroids (which when the fuck have wrestling fans ever given a shit about dudes on steroids, Balor/Rollins/Cesaro are on gear and no one cares) or "India". And at this point, I'm seeing a lot more "India" than steroids.

Awfully curious how instead of going the clear route of "Jinder really isn't that good of a wrestler" of being the reason why you're not happy with him being a champion, most people are jumping to steroids (which when the fuck have wrestling fans ever given a shit about dudes on steroids, Balor/Rollins/Cesaro are on gear and no one cares) or "India". And at this point, I'm seeing a lot more "India" than steroids.

I am honestly not invested in the product enough to be pissed about this. I was just saying that at least on a superficial level, it makes business sense.

I admit that it is very hypocritical but fans will give a really good wrestler who gets on the juice to join the group much more of a pass than a below average wrestler who becomes a champion as soon as he becomes a walking advertisement for backne. Or in his case backne that has spread to his shoulder and arms.

Not bothered by Jinder being a champion because he is representing India for their tour. That is some Trump bullshit right there. I mean they did the same thing with Khali. Although Khali kind of makes sense because even though he was a horrible wrestler he was huge. but man that is the best they can do? To think that Mark Magnus was actually 10 years ahead of his time.

To think that Mark Magnus was actually 10 years ahead of his time.

I think it makes sense that there are double standards for people perceived as better workers, and I don't even see that as anything to run from in all cases as long as people are honest about it. Wrestler X is on steroids and sucks. Wrestler Y is on steroids and is great. Of course I'm going to have less of a problem with Wrestler Y getting a chance to headline.

I'm not a fan of guys winning the Royal Rumble, then winning the title at Wrestlemania, then only being champion for less than two months. But that's probably an outdated complaint at this point, even if I do wish new champions at Wrestlemania were the centerpiece until at least Summerslam. And I don't even like Orton. It's not about him. It's just short-sighted in a way where it's obvious they have no clue where they are going a few months from now.

In hindsight, Lesnar probably should have won the Royal Rumble this year, since they were building to Brock/Goldberg anyway. Smackdown had too many weird hurdles to get to in order to make Orton/Wyatt the WWE title match at Mania this year. Styles had to lose to Cena, for Cena's record-breaking 16th title reign, that he held for two weeks before losing the belt to Wyatt, and then the build to Wyatt/Orton was...suboptimal. It would have made more sense for Lesnar to win the Rumble, Goldberg to beat Owens at Fast Lane, and that sets up Lesnar/Goldberg III. Oh well.

I don't think it's that big a problem in this case. Smackdown is loaded with babyface challengers, so Mahal can spend some time running through them while they figure things out. You can make the comparison to JBL, but there's a big difference in that I don't see a Cena waiting in the wings. The closest would probably be Nakamura.