Pro Wrestling Only

What If.... The Slam Heard Around The World

Blehschmidt

I'm going with King Kong Bundy.

He gets angry that Heenan wasn't in his corner at WM, eventually this disagreement costs him a match with Kamala since they'd teased a feud months earlier. Kamala's handlers warn a bunch of midgets that they will become dinner for the Ugandan Headhunter, giving Bundy a chance at redemption as he saves Little Beaver shortly after. Bundy goes over Kamala then feuds with Andre. He becomes WWF champion, has his successful computer ads (this time telling Vince in advance so everyone shares in the money), gets a full time gig on Married with Children and more publicity for his Richard Pryor movie and goes on to become a huge star. He'd already slammed Andre earlier in his career, so he ends up hitting the bodyslam heard round the world and becomes the biggest star in wrestling history! Bundamania runs wild!

^ Just wanted to point out that Summerslam wasnt around in 1987, though I suppose you could just have the title change on an episode of SNME.

Thanks, I get my years mixed up sometimes in the time frame. But something like an SNME change would work too.

You really have to change very little for Duggan. You can still turn around and do the disputed title change with Andre and the tournament at WMIV.

If you're bringing in somebody, Kerry Von Erich if he was able. Or Flexy Lexy, even as young as he was. Or Nikita.

I think they would want the inherent goofyness that a Duggan brought to the table. Hogan had that as his reign went on and the programming became more and more kid/marketing driven. The "HOOOOO!" itself was an easy marketing bit. Things like that would have been a big deal I imagine.

If you're bringing in somebody, Kerry Von Erich if he was able. Or Flexy Lexy, even as young as he was. Or Nikita.

I was thinking Kerry as well. He had always been on the WWF's radar, and he was still an acceptable worker at that point. He almost certainly would have self-destructed even quicker as a result, but I'm thinking in terms of what the WWF likely would have done, not what would have been best for them with the benefit of hindsight.

I'm pretty sure Kerry Von Erich had already had the motorcycle accident and lost his foot by '87. Obviously that's not going to stop the WWF from bringing him in... but I think it puts a limit on his push.

I like Hawkeye's suggestion. A face King Kong Bundy! The guy did have cross-over appeal. He could have done just fine working a modified Hogan formula: Take tons of punishment... banana peel spot in the corner... Avalanche, Big Splash, Pin. Crowd goes crazy. Bundymania running wild.