Pro Wrestling Only

The Mae Young Classic

sek69

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So who the hell are they going to get to fill this thing up? Hojo and Shirai are signed, but neither have reported to the PC yet. If both of them aren't in it who's out there capable of making a final four run, and having people give a shit? Toni Storm seems decent, but I wouldn't say she's a lock to put on a bunch of really good matches. Kimber Lee is used as enhancement talent in NXT so I doubt they're going to act like she's a big deal all of a sudden.

I'd imagine pretty much every female indy worker of note was contacted for this (isn't it a 32 person tourney?), but I would expect them to have learned from the CWC and make sure anyone who has a chance of being impressive is signed to a contract.

As Dave put it, at least they didn't name it after Stephanie.

Or Moolah.

in kayfabe, she was the best women's wrestler ever in the US. It would make a ton of sense

If you want to go into their personal lives, no one involved in wrestling could be honored, because everyone has done something. And for the people who haven't, I'm sure there's people who hate them that can find something.

Moolah was (supposedly, wink wink nudge nudge) pimping and abusing her girls. On a business level, she arguably destroyed women's wrestling in the US. Terrific legacy indeed.

They could have name it the Trish Stratus Classic, if they had to go by WWE Universe Golden Age Only. If not, what the hell, Wendy Richter Classic.

Moolah was (supposedly, wink wink nudge nudge) pimping and abusing her girls. On a business level, she arguably destroyed women's wrestling in the US. Terrific legacy indeed.

They could have name it the Trish Stratus Classic, if they had to go by WWE Universe Golden Age Only. If not, what the hell, Wendy Richter Classic.

Again, if you want to go into real life things people did, there's no one left.

I'd be complaining if it was Trish. Remember the bark like a dog angle? She didn't win any fans making a jerk of herself on Tough Enough either.

Wendi maybe, but WWE forgot her. Sherri? Sure. Luna? Sure. Madusa, not really a WWE girl. Lita? Matt Hardy scandal. Jacqueline? Sure. Sable? No. Rockin Robin? Who?

But I never cared about what wrestlers did in their private lives, just as I wouldn't anyone else.

Trish would have made more sense since she was actually a star in her era, and as far as I know, doesn't have a questionable criminal history.

Honoring Mae makes no sense even without mentioning the allegations, she's been put in a place of high regard in WWE Canon just for having a long career. It's like if MLB decided to rename the World Baseball Classic after some random journeyman infielder who managed to put together an unspectacular 20 year career.

Remember the bark like a dog angle? She didn't win any fans making a jerk of herself on Tough Enough either.

Wendi maybe, but WWE forgot her. Sherri? Sure. Luna? Sure. Madusa, not really a WWE girl. Lita? Matt Hardy scandal. Jacqueline? Sure. Sable? No. Rockin Robin? Who?

For fuck's sake. Are we comparing a terrible angle (which is scripted stuff executed by an employee) and cheating on your boyfriend (throw the first stone, people, there's nothing scandalous here) with actual *criminal activities* ? This is not a matter of "private life". It's the fact Moolah, from all accounts, was a true scumbag of a human being.

Neither here nor there since it's the Mae Young Classic anyway. What the fuck was classic about Mae Young, you tell me. I remember her "flashing" her boobs at the Royal Rumble 2000, giving a birth to a hand and taking the table bump from the Dudleys at the highest of the mysoginic WWE booking. And well, there's a wee bit more about Mae too actually. Maybe Bix wants to post his article over here.

As far as the tournament goes, good for the girls getting exposure. I may watch this, it's more interesting to me than the cruiserweight or UK indies stuff since the women have been more or less the saving grace of WWE in the last year or so.

Remember the bark like a dog angle? She didn't win any fans making a jerk of herself on Tough Enough either.

For fuck's sake. Are we comparing a terrible angle (which is scripted stuff executed by an employee) and cheating on your boyfriend (throw the first stone, people, there's nothing scandalous here) with actual *criminal activities* ? This is not a matter of "private life". It's the fact Moolah, from all accounts, was a true scumbag of a human being.

Neither here nor there since it's the Mae Young Classic anyway. What the fuck was classic about Mae Young, you tell me. I remember her "flashing" her boobs at the Royal Rumble 2000, giving a birth to a hand and taking the table bump from the Dudleys at the highest of the mysoginic WWE booking. And well, there's a wee bit more about Mae too actually. Maybe Bix wants to post his article over here.

As far as the tournament goes, good for the girls getting exposure. I may watch this, it's more interesting to me than the cruiserweight or UK indies stuff since the women have been more or less the saving grace of WWE in the last year or so.

Like I said, it's a slippery slope when you start getting into not doing things because of people's outside of wrestling lives.

It's not about what Moolah did. It's about people knowing what she did. I wouldn't say it's common knowledge, but far more people knew about it than I would have expected when I tweeted about it months ago. It's not about the merits or faults of whether it should be considered. It's about if it's fairly known among fans that someone's reputation isn't on the up and up.

It's not about what Moolah did. It's about people knowing what she did. I wouldn't say it's common knowledge, but far more people knew about it than I would have expected when I tweeted about it months ago. It's not about the merits or faults of whether it should be considered. It's about if it's fairly known among fans that someone's reputation isn't on the up and up.

I wonder if Mae's the Joe Paterno to Moolah's Jerry Sandusky. Seems hard to believe those two could be close friends for so long and have no idea what was going on.

Either way, the name is stupid (I just don't like the idea of or ring to them naming it after any individual), but the tournament itself should be fun. i am looking forward to it. Lots of women will be getting a chance to shine with virtually nothing to lose. That should make for some good wrestling and some memorable matches.

Trish would have made more sense since she was actually a star in her era, and as far as I know, doesn't have a questionable criminal history.

Honoring Mae makes no sense even without mentioning the allegations, she's been put in a place of high regard in WWE Canon just for having a long career. It's like if MLB decided to rename the World Baseball Classic after some random journeyman infielder who managed to put together an unspectacular 20 year career.

The "Why Do People Keep Hiring Terry Mulholland" Tournament of Excellence

I wonder if Mae's the Joe Paterno to Moolah's Jerry Sandusky. Seems hard to believe those two could be close friends for so long and have no idea what was going on.

That makes no sense as an analogy. Paterno was the big boss who knew what his employee was doing and protected him because he didn't want any scandal to tarnish his legacy, which is ironic. Moolah was both the perpetrator and the boss.

Was Mae even around for this? I thought Mae trained Moolah, and then they met again and got together after Moolah retired?

Meltzer apparently said Lita was being considered as a commentator for the tournament. I hope not! She's awful in that role.

Co-signed. And I like the woman.

I'm not sure who they can get if they really want a woman. Renee is an option, but she feels like a totally wrong fit for this tournament. She was great on NXT getting over people's characters and motivations and the storyline stuff, but I don't know how much she'd add to a wrestling-heavy tournament full of indy workers.

I'd rather they just go for good commentators.