The Mae Young Classic

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#121 JAC

JAC
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:06 AM

I thought the second batch of episodes were a fair bit more consistent. I was dreading seeing Rachel Evers again after Round 1, but she looked very solid in Round 2. It was nice that she was able to redeem herself.

Compared to the CWC, I have far more emotional attachment, but that's because I watch Stardom on a regular basis and know a number of the women from competing in that promotion. The downside is, I haven't really developed any attachment to anyone who I didn't already know from Stardom.

I've generally enjoyed the right bracket far more than the left bracket. Martinez is someone I'd heard of a long time ago and was really excited to see. I'm sorry to say that she's left me cold. I like Ray and Gabert, but they went out in Round 1, as did Sarah Logan (who was the new-to-me wrestler who impressed me the most). I liked Yim quite a bit, but she went out in Round 2. Laith and LeRae didn't make much of an initial impression on me. Perhaps that will change with further viewing. As for Baszler, I missed her in Stardom and need to go back and see how she performed. I remain agnostic on her at this time, although i have no issue with her push in the tournament. Thus, that left bracket really didn't have a lot interesting going on for me.

In the right bracket, Belair was a pleasant revelation. She has great tools and could be excellent with further seasoning. Am I the only person who thinks that Lacey Evans, notwithstanding her background, comes across as a pure heel? She does not seem to have a likeable in-ring persona. Piper Niven is very good (and wonderfully unique) and should be signed. But I'm terrified of how Vince and Kevin Dunn will view her. Kairi is great. The only surprising thing for me about her run was that I liked the Dakota Kai match the least. Toni Storm is good but doesn't impress me as much as she impresses others. I think there are some parts of her moveset that don't look great and will likely get dropped as she matures in the ring.

For all my griping, I think the tournament has been pretty fun and I'm excited for the final. And I'm increasingly fine with some good wrestlers being one-and-done. That first round would have been rough without Blanchard, Logan, Gabert and Garrett being sacrificed in the name of providing good quality main events. Those four did themselves credit with their performances and all stood out notwithstanding their early exits.

#122 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:47 AM

I think the difference in emotional attachment is simply that they aren't leaning as heavily on emotional angles as they did during CWC. There's no best friends/tag partners facing off and nearly killing each other just to make the second round and then collapsing in each others arms. There's no well-travelled veteran who went from being homeless to working all around the world to slowly picking up unlikely wins to actually winning the whole thing. There's no grizzled vet who fucked up their chance with WWE and has one last chance to redeem themselves and leave a legacy before they fade into obscurity, who has their trainer and mentor openly rooting and weeping for them on commentary like their life was dependent on the result.

This isn't that. The profiles for this are surface level and introductory, they're not going any deeper into their stories to make you care on that level. And they're not giving them the time to have standing O five star matches, which is the only other thing that would do it. Commentary is less excitable and more clinical. None of it is designed to be emotional on the level of the CWC.

#123 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10166 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:34 AM

What is the purpose then?

#124 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:47 PM

To make me happy.

#125 SmartMark15

SmartMark15
  • Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:32 PM

Shayna Baszler is quickly becoming one of my favorite workers. She's so charismatic in the ring and she's been booked and protected so strongly. 

#126 NintendoLogic

NintendoLogic

Grim and frostbitten

• Members
  • 2662 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:39 PM

Other than not attacking and laying out Kairi after the match, I loved pretty much everything Baszler did in the finals. Kairi no-selling the arm work was disappointing, though.

#127 SmartMark15

SmartMark15
  • Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:34 PM

Other than not attacking and laying out Kairi after the match, I loved pretty much everything Baszler did in the finals. Kairi no-selling the arm work was disappointing, though.

Same thoughts. The match was good but never picked up to that truly great level. Decent final though.

#128 EricR

EricR
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 741 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:28 PM

I came away from every Kairi match but the Storm match and maybe the Kai match way more impressed with her opponent. Thought Shayna had a great showing in the tourney. The crowd seemed really into her and she seemed to get a genuine kick out of getting chants.

http://segundacaida....ssic-final.html

#129 Timbo Slice

Timbo Slice
  • Members
  • 1422 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:24 AM

Shayna was the MVP of the tourney, and I'm not a fan of the booking dictating her loss so that they had a reason for Sane to debut on NXT. Her winning and calling out the Four Horsewomen would've been a bigger deal. Sane's excitement was fun, but it did take away from some points in the match that it seemed Shayna was much more interested in making worthwhile. Her facials were terrific, as were her little nuances throughout. She'll be two years in as a pro in two weeks. Very few have been as good as her in their first two years ever.

#130 JAC

JAC
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:39 AM

So, I guess I'll just disagree with some of the foregoing--not to be difficult, but just because I see things quite differently. Shayna would be the MVP of the tournament only to the extent that the prevailing narrative was built around her. Who, if anyone, can stop Baszler? The in-ring MVP was Sane. She was trusted to wrestle long matches and to main-event every show she was on: 5 of the 9 episodes. She consistently got the crowd aligned behind her as a babyface. I'd comment on the star-making performance wrestling Bianca Belair, but it's not like that was a miracle carry-job (Belair brought her A-game to the table and was an equal contributor to that match). To be fair to Baszler, she wasn't put in a situation to be MVP from a match standpoint. She needed to be dominant, and she was. Her best match going into the finals was against Yim and her best character work was probably in the aftermath of the LeRae match.

I disagree pretty strongly on the critique of Sane's selling. Baszler worked on her arm, but she never injured it. Just because you target a limb, it doesn't mean that the limb will necessarily become disabled and useless. The selling tells the story about what's happened to the bodies of the competitors. In Sane's case, it tells us that Baszler's submission attempts, while painful, did not succeed in causing lasting damage to Sane's arm, only transient pain. That's something you can shake off. In contrast, Baszler's selling tells us that Sane's spear cracked her rib or at least tore some cartilage in her ribcage. It was a fortuitous occurrence that evened the odds for Sane and helped explain the turnaround.

I thought this was Baszler's best match of the tournament. Baszler, to me at least, looks a bit tentative in the ring sometimes and like she's holding back with her kicks. With her gimmick, she needs to look like she's killing her opponent. Here, she did. Her swagger and cockiness was a great contrast to Sane's pluckiness. The story of the match was helpful to both. Sane kept trying for her big offence too early and Baszler made her pay big. Through, the first half, I was worrying that it was going to be nothing more than an extended squash. The spear turned things around and gave the impetus for Sane turning the tables, stringing together longer stretches of dominance and eventually winning.

They could have gone either way on the finish. I concede that a Baszler win could have been used to trigger a big money match involving the Horsewomen of MMA v. the Horsewomen of wrestling. I think that's still on the table. Baszler would have won but for the rib injury. She can develop a chip on her shoulder and eventually snap on one of the WWE wrestlers (maybe Bayley would be the optimum choice?) to start that feud. Sane could have lost but been protected and still gotten over. The truth is, both women deserve a lot of credit. The live crowd were (probably) mostly there for Smackdown and had just seen a hot angle to end the show. That match could have bombed but both women got the crowd into them, as evidenced by the dueling chants. Baszler got the men--you could tell by the low register--who like badass heels into her while Sane got the louder chant from the crowd at large.

Baszler has immediate value as a strong, tough heel tied to Rousey. If her body isn't broken down from MMA, she could continue to improve and be successful for a while. But Sane has tremendous potential as a babyface and should have a longer shelf life as the younger woman. Do I trust WWE to use her well? No. But she her style and personality are such that she could be a huge star in the women's division if WWE doesn't find a way to shoot itself in the foot.

#131 broke

broke
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:02 AM

I'll give full credit to Shayna for continuing to sell the ribs well after the final match ended. 

Considering the confrontations throughout the tournament there's no way this does not result in Shayna, Rousey and co. jumping the WWE Horsewomen within 2 weeks on RAW.

#132 jcmmnx

jcmmnx
  • Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:53 PM

Well the story today isVince put the brakes on that. They aren't in negotiations with Ronda, and they filmed the stuff with her in the MYC without his knowledge. He felt it was misleading the fans to tease the angle.

#133 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7728 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:39 PM

Tim, Stacey, and myself spent 2 hours talking MYC on the Super Show. It's on the PWO podcast feed if anybody wants to hear us rave about the tournament.

#134 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 10272 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:48 PM

Well the story today isVince put the brakes on that. They aren't in negotiations with Ronda, and they filmed the stuff with her in the MYC without his knowledge. He felt it was misleading the fans to tease the angle.

That seems odd that they would bring her in to the MYC tapings, bring in WWE main roster talent, and fly Ronda in for the finals all without Vince's knowledge. 

Like, I could see maybe if the negotiations fell through (which why would they, she doesn't exactly have a jam packed schedule), but to say they aren't in negotiations seems demonstrably false. 

#135 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10166 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:18 PM

Tim, Stacey, and myself spent 2 hours talking MYC on the Super Show. It's on the PWO podcast feed if anybody wants to hear us rave about the tournament.

Been looking forward to that for a while.

#136 jcmmnx

jcmmnx
  • Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:41 PM

That seems odd that they would bring her in to the MYC tapings, bring in WWE main roster talent, and fly Ronda in for the finals all without Vince's knowledge. 

Like, I could see maybe if the negotiations fell through (which why would they, she doesn't exactly have a jam packed schedule), but to say they aren't in negotiations seems demonstrably false. 

I read it as they shot the backstage confrontation without Vince knowing about it. I'm pretty sure Ronda still has UFC fights left on her contract so I doubt they would be negotiating anything with her directly it would have to go through UFC.

#137 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 10272 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:53 PM

Maybe they did, but they still flew in the WWE women to do the staredown, and there's no way that Vince wouldn't have known about that.  I know NXT is Hunter's baby and all, but I don't think he'd be stupid enough to do all this work without approval.

#138 Tim Evans

Tim Evans
  • Members
  • 3965 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:05 PM

I don't think they flew in the wwe women. They live in Florida except Bayley. 

#139 fakeplastictrees

fakeplastictrees
  • Members
  • 706 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:19 PM

Even if they did fly in, I don't think Vince or anyone in Corporate would really raise an eyebrow if Charlotte and company decide to go down to Florida during MYC on WWE's dime. I would assume all of them would most likely put two-and-two together. I doubt the 4 on 4 goes down without a ton of smoke and mirrors. Can Shafir pass a concussions test? 

#140 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8734 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:43 AM

Watched the first few episodes. There sure are things to be said about the talent there, but oddly, the one thing that struck me the most is how I really can't stand the WWE production. The überclean, streamlined feel, the animatronic entrances and poses which make seem each and every one of them like puppets under control, the reality-TV interviews. I think those is what struck me the most, because the rest is sadly part of the WWE package in NXT too. But those interviews and intro videos. I felt like I was watching some Survivor candidates or something. And pretty much all of them went :

"My name is whatever-the-fuck, I'm a good girl, I'm very confident, I do martial arts and I can kick hard, this is a very big deal for me, I've been told I couldn't do it but I'm gonna show them + (insert culturalism reference for non-english speaking talent)". For fuck's sake. If this is what "reality based" pro-wrestling is all about, I'm not sure I'm caring for it at all. This is why I love LU, it's pulp, it's comics, it's over the top. Here we have a bunch of girls who speak like they are doing Tough Enough. The fact WWE got into Reality-TV (which is some of the worst shit ever) really shows in the way they produce everything, from the look, the use of music, the way they tell "stories". And it's really bad.

I don't get the hate for the announcing though. It's not great, but at least Ross actually talks like a human being and a pro-wrestling announcer. Lita is ok. She actually cracked me up when she laughed at the idea that Great Khali would have taught that flying move to that Indian Girl (yeah, sorry about that one). Speaking of which, the two recruits from India and China reeks of capitalistic desperation : "Pleaaaaaaase, buy our product pleaaaaaaase, we got someone from your country, look at them !".

Damn, Tessa Blanchard looks like her father a bit. And since I've been on a Tully binge, that makes her dear to my heart automatically.

Kairi Sane (gotta love how they give her another Japanese name to trademark, but they can't pronounce it for shit) is so above everyone is this it's not even funny.

Shayna Baszler is going all the way. Look, attitude, seems to be a good enough worker. And the MMA crowd is already foaming at the mouth because RONDA ROUSEY. BTW, this was the first time I ever saw what Ronda looked like. That's how much I care about MMA.

Dakota Kai won me over with 1 kick and 1 footstomp.

Bianca Blair : the BRAID shot. Now, that's a gimmick. Cool look, heelish. But someday, someone is gonna stomp on those braids and it can't be pretty.

Ripley : "Look how tall she is !". Good look, tall, blonde, boobs, potential. Yeah, they are gonna push the shit out of her.

Enjoyed a bunch of others like Logan, Salinas, Storm, Yim, Niven, LeRae...

Rachel Evers vs Marty Belle was the drizzling shit. Comically bad. I though Evers was the worst one in this too, so what do I know...

Well, the matches are fun to follow. Nothing great though thus far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users