Pro Wrestling Only

Between the Sheets #99 (June 7-13, 1993) (Featuring Tom Green)

KrisZ

DCGMg_7UQAAhjzd.jpg

Kris & David are joined this week by Tom Green (Dynamite Cup) to discuss the week that was June 7-13, 1993. We talk about WCW’s substance abuse policy leaking to the WON as well as Shane Douglas ripping it in the Wrestling Flyer newsletter. We also discuss the formation of the Masters of the Power Bomb as well as Cactus Jack being Lost in Cleveland with Cathleen White. We then pivot to Japan talking about Jushin Thunder Liger possibly injuring his foot causing booking plans to be changed before moving to AAA possibly coming to Los Angeles and The Undertaker debuting in Memphis. Last, but not least, we go over the first ever King of the Ring pay-per-view. This was a long but hilarious show so don’t miss it!!!

Timestamps:

0:00:00 WCW

1:22:19 Eurasia: NJPW, AJPW, ULL, W*ING, AJW, CWA, & WWS

2:07:21 Classic Commercial Break

02:11:52 Housekeeping & The Amazon Game

2;45:35 Mexico: AAA, EMLL, & UWA

3:10:53 Other USA: ECW, SMW, USWA, GWF, Big D, & Potpourri

4:25:22 WWF

To support the show and get access to exclusive rewards like special members-only monthly themed shows, go to our Patreon page at https://patreon.com/BetweenTheSheets and become an ongoing Patron. Becoming a Between the Sheets Patron will also get you exclusive access to not only the monthly themed episode of Between the Sheets, but also access to our new mailbag segment, a Patron-only chat room on Slack, and anything else we do outside of the main shows!

You can also support the show by shopping with our Amazon referral link at https://tinyURL.com/BTSAmazon — Nothing extra comes out of your wallet, but Amazon gives us a kickback for referring you to them.

To subscribe, you can find us on iTunes, Google Play, and just about every other podcast app’s directory, or you can also paste http://feeds.FeedBurner.com/BTSheets into your favorite podcast app using whatever “add feed manually” option it has.

http://placetobenation.com/between-the-sheets-99-june-7-13-1993/

So was Catherine White's identity 100% confirmed? I remember Dave reporting her as being Kathy Gagne one week, but then a few weeks later walking that back without actually saying who she really was.

That was me buying L'Age D'Or...at 50 bucks for a book in a language I don't speak it's admittedly a rather pricey lark, but I'm hoping there's some good info in there and that it's a bit more organized than Bob Plantin's massive but messy ALPRA site.

I'm really, really lost as to the criticism of Hogan's selling at KOTR. Why book a fireball finish if he's *not* supposed to sell the eyes? Ross put over the eye injuries afterward, though admittedly it's somewhat talked over by Heenan and Savage. There's lots of interesting stuff going on in that match but I don't have any issue with Hogan selling (Bix also pointed out that the fire "didn't even hit him in the eyes," but in kayfabe it did).

Edit: I'm 99% sure the photographer was Wippleman.

I'm really, really lost as to the criticism of Hogan's selling at KOTR. Why book a fireball finish if he's *not* supposed to sell the eyes? Ross put over the eye injuries afterward, though admittedly it's somewhat talked over by Heenan and Savage. There's lots of interesting stuff going on in that match but I don't have any issue with Hogan selling (Bix also pointed out that the fire "didn't even hit him in the eyes," but in kayfabe it did).

Edit: I'm 99% sure the photographer was Wippleman.

The point was that he wasn't selling as if the banzai drop incapacitated him in any significant way.

Regarding the Austria deal: there are people who are much more qualified to comment on this (Indikator who posts semi-regularly on this board for example) but here is my interpretation of the thing:

(1) From my understanding CWA ran mostly middle/eastern Austria (Vienna and Graz were the most regular stops with long "tournaments", additionally spot shows in smaller towns happened - though "spot show" meant 2 or 3 shows on successive days at the same place instead of 10-30) while Innsbruck is in western Austria. (on cagematch I found results from a CWA show in Innsbruck in 1991, though I would assume this was at most a once a year deal)

(2) The shows targeted a completely different audience: US wrestling was starting to get big in Germany and Austria in 93 (mostly among kids), so the WWS tour was a try to make money from that. The CWA targeted a more adult crowd.

(3) CWA did not have television to promote their shows so their shows usually targeted local crowds.

Cagematch lists the promoters of the WWS as Alex Valdez, Bob Yorey and Peter Hirschler. I have to admit I have never heard or read a single of these three names before, though at least for the last name I found a funny 14 year old post on a German message board (Hirschler sold wrestling shows to local promoters for good money; the deal always included Hirschler's band to play at the event).

I think I need to listen to this now. But I also fear that I won't know enough about it, this should be a question for Gernot Freiberger. It's difficult to say who knows much about certain European promotions, Landauer probably only really joined the scene around 1998. I know Eckstein was a cameraman for Völlink in Karlsruhe, that should be interesting. But I couldn't tell you who could have juicy stories about the WFA shows and the newsletter scene from back then.

Going further into a tangent, but it might be interesting for Robert - so you probably are aware of the Lasartesse book. That was written by Andreas Matle, who did write a newsletter around 1980. And I now know that he was kinda the protege of Paul Berger for a time, I read some letters in the NISH where he was mentioned. Sadly it seems that he was perceived as a mark, so they or someone else probably would have bankrupted him if he tried to promote shows. Hopefully that didn't happen. Anyways, it seems unlikely that the old guard was acting nicely towards the new generation, so you will always have to expect a generational divide and thus less knowledge about such days. You would really need an inside source for things like Völlink and WWS and Sven Hansen etc.. Only once Ian Rotten comes to Hannover and Lugner City ( :D ) do things get better.

Edit: In regards to the Jumbo Tsuruta Hepatitis story, I found it fascinating to read the notes that Cagematch had when they added older Japanese shows. If a show had all the match times it had more often than not notes at the start or end of a tour and it mentioned stuff like Misawa missing the 1983 Grand Champion Carnival tour because of Hepatitis, as did Killer Khan exactly two years later in June 1985. I am not sure who their source for Showa puroresu is, but I absolutely have to put him or her over. Great stuff

What do you do once you have done an edit? More edits, of course.

Alaska Catch = run of the mill handicap match. Often enough it was not filled with jobbers and you didn't know who'd win. They have been around since the 1950s, but there is the possibility that the name was retroactively used in some instances. I would expect that there had to be somebody who introduced the match type, like the Kangaroos and the Australian Tag match, but I could only come up with Ski Hi Lee and that match never really was attributed to him. One of the more famous post war guys, the "stateless" IK succumbed to a heart attack after such a match in 1955. Robert, you absolutely need to google his real name František Křivinka and check out the new'ish article about him ("...osteuropäische Volkskunde"). I need to get that complete article, it might teach me how to approach such people with the available possibilities. It's not like you ever drown in available sources :/

I've been inactive this year due to being in school full time as well as working full time, im still subscribed on itunes to the ptbpn but do not get this show anymore or exile on badstreet, am i missing something? help a brother out, thanks.

"To subscribe, you can find us on iTunes, Google Play, and just about every other podcast apps directory, or you can also paste http://feeds.FeedBurner.com/BTSheets into your favorite podcast app using whatever 'add feed manually' option it has."