Pro Wrestling Only

Best Squash Match ever?

Microstatistics

What is the best squash match of all time? Top 3? Top 5-10?

Right now I am leaning towards Brock vs. Cena at SS14. Volk Han vs. Mitsuya Nagai (4/24/1993) and Shinya Hashimoto vs. Naoya Ogawa (10/11/1999) are up there with it. Definitely Top 3 for me, there are other really good matches that are squashes as well but those 3 I consider to be legitimately fantastic matches.

The aforementioned Hashimoto vs Ogawa is literally as much of a squash as Misawa vs Kawada or any other epic japanese wrestling match ever.

Han vs Nagai certainly felt like an extender squash, though it feels like after a certain time passes a match starts feeling more like a dominating performance and less like a proper squash. Off the top of my head I'd probably go with Maeda vs Tamura from 1989.

I'll throw my vote to Cena-Lesnar just doe the sheer spectacle of it as well as Lesnar's killer facials and Cena's desperation selling. A 5-star classic if you ask me.

I'll also throw in Lesnar-Goldberg from Survivor Series. A shock at the time and kicked off one of the best booked feuds in recent memory.

The aforementioned Hashimoto vs Ogawa is literally as much of a squash as Misawa vs Kawada or any other epic japanese wrestling match ever.

That one I was back and forth on about whether it was truly a squash but I went with yes because Ogawa never looked in any real trouble and reversed all of Hashimoto's offense pretty easily. Ogawa pretty much owned him from start to finish. Also all of those pop-ups near the end from Hashimoto did not resemble any sort of comeback and seemed to be fueled by defiance and pride. I get if people like it as much as Misawa vs. Kawada or something but the one-sidedness of it classifies it as a squash.

Bam Bam Bigelow vs Spike Dudley at Hardcore Heaven 97. Ridiculously mismatched, Bam Bam out for blood after getting complacent and upset in a previous encounter, Spike taking the bumps that made him a fave in ECW, an insane spot that was unsafe for both Spike and the fans in the front row, and Bam Bam celebrating with a cartwheel like he just threw a bunch of Christians to the lions.

If it's jobber squashes, I have to go with Roddy Piper beating AJ Petrucci with one arm behind his back on the 8/23/86 edition of Championship Wrestling. That or Don Muraco eating a sandwich during a match and Vince McMahon and Bruno Sammartino trying to decide if it's against the rules. If it's between two upper card guys, I'm a bit late to the party, but it's got to be Lesnar destroying Cena at Summerslam '14.

The debut of the Mulkey Brothers in the WTBS studio, getting brutalized for almost ten minutes by an enraged Midnight Express out to send a message after the James Boys hogtied and dragged Jim Cornette. Tony: "That young man might not get up--..." Cornette: "I DON'T CARE!"

The debut of the Mulkey Brothers in the WTBS studio, getting brutalized for almost ten minutes by an enraged Midnight Express out to send a message after the James Boys hogtied and dragged Jim Cornette. Tony: "That young man might not get up--..." Cornette: "I DON'T CARE!"

What was the date of this pls?

What was the date of this pls?

5/10/86.

• 2 weeks later...

KUSHIDA-Hiromu Takahashi from Sakura Genesis comes to mind. Not really sure if it qualifies as a squash considering the pre-match angle of KUSHIDA nearly finishing him early, but loved the story of KUSHIDA having the perfect strategy only to make ONE mistake, and boom it's over. Really sold the "dang, how do you beat this guy?" booking of Hiromu.

It's hard to pick just one, so Ronnie Garvin vs. any number of opponents is my pick.

Hard to beat Garvin smacking jobbers around the WTBS studios.

I also really enjoyed Buzz Sawyer's rugged mat game in 82-83 GCW.

'96 Taz dropping Spike and Mikey on their heads every week was a lot of fun too.

Sid in '92 where they'd put the wimpy on a stretcher after the slaying.

Flair is easily one of my least favorite squash workers. He just gives way too much and doesn't have an impact finisher so it either takes too long to set up the F4 or falls flat.