Pro Wrestling Only

Best Squash Match ever?

Microstatistics

I think Awesome/Tanaka from ONS '05 deserves a mention.

How is that a squash match?

If a commentator at one point in the match says that the person who ultimately won showed 'great resiliency' there's no way it's a squash

I'd say a match where one talent is in control start to finish counts as a squash.

It's hard to pick just one, so Ronnie Garvin vs. any number of opponents is my pick.

Hard to beat Garvin smacking jobbers around the WTBS studios.

I also really enjoyed Buzz Sawyer's rugged mat game in 82-83 GCW.

'96 Taz dropping Spike and Mikey on their heads every week was a lot of fun too.

Sid in '92 where they'd put the wimpy on a stretcher after the slaying.

Flair is easily one of my least favorite squash workers. He just gives way too much and doesn't have an impact finisher so it either takes too long to set up the F4 or falls flat.

Speaking of Ronnie Garvin I remember in 89 he had this match on Superstars against a masked man where he was belting him on the chest with chops where it was bright red. Think the name was The Gladiator or something.

Found a match on Cawthon's site listing Garvin against someone named the Intruder. Wouldn't surprise me if it was Gladiator as well. That was Ricky Hunter, an old journeyman wrestler who got work because Patterson knew him from Portland.

According to wrestlingdata.com, Hunter has the most WWF appearances without ever winning a match. Something like 0-74.

• 6 months later...
Kamala vs. The Invader (Puerto Rico 02/22/1986)

I'm only used to Kamala in the WWF but watched this random match from Puerto Rico. Starts off with them just nailing each other with punches until Invader quickly gets worn down by chop after chop after chop to the head by Kamala.

Kamala also bites the forehead whilst Invader is stick on the ropes and he's now busted open. The match is only like a minute or so gone. Kamala just continues to pound on him with more chops and now big headbutts. Invader tries to fight back but Kamala just won't let him and delivers another headbutt that knocks Invader flat on the mat.

Kamala then looks like he's going to do a big splash, but instead delivers another headbutt. He shows zero mercy here as he continues to club poor Invaders' head in. Invader is bleeding like the proverbial but Kamala is going for the punch record here as he won't stop hitting him.

Invader is still on the mat as Kamala briefly backs away......before going straight back with more chops to his head. Blood is gushing down Invader here but Kamala carries on chopping. Invader attempts a comeback now. He's a bloody mess but is fighting back with what little strength he's got left.

Kamala though just overpowers him with more clubs to the head and he's back down on the mat. The ref asks Invader if he wants to stop the match, but Invader says no.....so Kamala continues to pound on his just about in one piece head.

Just finish the poor guy.

Nope. Kamala clubs him some more and starts biting his head again. Yup, more chops and Kamala actually licks Invaders' blood off his hands just to rub it fucking in. Invader is up again but is soon back down by the continuous chops by Kamala.

He's a damn mess with all the blood he's losing and I doubt he knows where he is. It's all running on instinct as he still has a go at coming back with a few punches, but he's too out of it to properly hurt Kamala. Kamala goes back to chop after chop before finally the ref stops the match.

Fuck. Talk about a chopping squash. It was though a fun brutal beat down. Invader hot chopped to death and still attempted to try and fight back, made you feel for the guy big time as he was bleeding like crazy by the end. They do a close up shot if his face and it's a full on crimson red mask.

All in under 10 minutes and it was a pretty fucking great squash.

[b]Terry Funk vs Jerry Lawler (USWA World Title Tournament 10/08/90)[/b]

Woah what a squash.
You want to watch a great squash match? Watch this shit.
Terry Funk brutalizes and murders Lawler here, who hardly gets anything in return and it's glorious to watch. It starts out with Funk kicking the crap out of Lawler as soon as the bell sounds. Funk is hilarious here as he's commentating as he's throwing Jerry around.
"Into the television table" "And now he's picking up the stairs....into the stairs goes Jerry the king Lawler courtesy of Terry Funk"
"PIG! PIG! PIG! DAMN YOU, PIG!"
Funk throws some ficking wonderful punches in this. I mean, really brutal, I thought he'd broke Jerry's nose with one as the thud of the punch was LOUD. He's just beating the shit out of him with punches and Lawler can't do a thing about it.
Those punches are a thing of beauty :banderas
Funk continues to narrate his attacks on Lawler throughout this and is just going fucking crazy. He ends up piledriving referrees too lol before hitting Jerry with one. Lawler is taking the beating of his life here but you can't help but still be on Funk's side as he's just far too good. Match ends up in a DQ but fuck was it a fabulous squash to watch.
Seriously, watch this shit. This is a Terry Funk performance and is now an all time favourite.

I always thought the best squash match when it came to Hunter was his match against Warrior at Mania.

Speaking of the Warrior I vaguely remember Warrior squashing Savage in like 1 minute with a otal beatdown where randy didnt get a single move in.

The attires I think must have been from TME 1990 TV tapings when Savage interfered in the Warrior/Dibiase match and they wanted to send the crowd happy.

No idea why they did this with Macho.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5oxg74

Steve Austin vs. Spike Dudley - Smackdown June 14th 2001. Spike is a good sympathetic babyface here totally outmatched against a vicious Austin.

Braun Strowman vs. James Ellsworth - Raw July 25th 2016. A squash match that launched not one but TWO runs has to be considered, plus it's just really funny.

I think Awesome/Tanaka from ONS '05 deserves a mention.

How is that a squash match?

If a commentator at one point in the match says that the person who ultimately won showed 'great resiliency' there's no way it's a squash

I'd say a match where one talent is in control start to finish counts as a squash.

There is more to a squash than just one guy dominating the match. Most of the matches listed here I would not count as a squash.

I think something that was given a build and goes longer than five minutes cannot be a squash.

Anyway here are a few of my picks.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xhx04g

Barry Windham vs Gary Wolfe

Ted Dibiase vs Dave Stoudimire