Pro Wrestling Only

[2017-06-11-AJPW-Dynamite Series] Kento Miyahara vs Suwama

ShittyLittleBoots

Kento Miyahara pretty much came off as the best wrestler in the world in this. His work over the arm & the taped up hand of Suwama was excellent + the way he portrayed his character was a thing of beauty; even though his historic title reign just recently ended by the hands of Shuji Ishikawa, he still is the most confident dude around, because he is the goddamn young ace of the company. His facial expressions tell the whole story; he acts like he has the match in the bag because he dominates Suwama w/ that arm work of his, but then Suwama ends up fighting through it w/ his high impact comebacks & gets the W. Great stuff, a brilliant Kento Miyahara show. ****

These two have great chemistry together. This was as "big" as the sumo hall match but it was a nice compact slugfest with the arm of Suwama being worked over. I was happy that the allure of Miyahara hadn't dwindled much between losing the belt to Shuji and now this loss. The knees in the comeback portion were placed well. My MOTN for this All Japan card. ****

This was a really good, post-champ Miyahara match, who worked largely out of his ace mode and more as the aggressor, working over Suwama's injured right arm. I thought the arm work played a pivotal role in the match and Miyahara was able to squash a lot of Suwama's comebacks by going back to the arm. The bicycle kick counter to the rolling lariat was an especially cool spot. Suwama's selling was good -- I liked when he was backed into a corner and trying to boot Miyahara away. It's rare you see him on the rocks this much. When Miyahara keeps kicking at the injured right arm, Suwama switches things up and levels him with a left-arm lariat. Good stuff.

This is a good example of limb work not necessarily being involved in the finish, but still being an important part of the match. It's a strategy that makes sense for Kento to be pursuing and the fact it doesn't all the way work doesn't make it less sensible. Also, I was pretty surprised the ending came so quickly after Suwama got so little in throughout the match, but it wasn't a bad surprise. ****

• GSR changed the title to [2017-06-11-AJPW-Dynamite Series] Kento Miyahara vs Suwama
  • 1 year later...

Kento just gets it man. Instead of having bloated matches he just works around a very simple story and then transitions to a dope finishing sequence were the drama escalates and any flaw the match has is reduced to a minimum because the length is short enough for them not to bother anyone. Another really fucking entertaining match from him that doesn't go past the 20 minute mark. Probably the easiest wrestler to watch back then in Japan that will give you a fun match every time.