Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Week 6/19-6/26: Post MITB, Braun Return, Roman Being Roman

fakeplastictrees

We are one day removed from a show featuring:

-The Ascension as a SURPRISE

-JE winning #MITB

-One too many teases of Ziggler winning MITB

- Lana cosplaying as SUPERSERIOUSRASSLER1!!11!!!~!

-Fashion Police dropping MICHAEL JACKSON REFERENCES~!

and of course Orton doing "Orton" things.

Now its time for Raw....Roman and Braun have both returned and WWE is building to SummerSlam!

After watching the Enzo and Cass segment, I will admit it was incredibly effective. Cass showed new personality and fire, and Enzo straight up earned an Emmy with his tears (which - let's face it - were probably real, because he knows Test 2.0 has a rocket strapped to his back while his own future is a lot more uncertain).

With that said, I still don't think it was a good idea. They're leaving a lot money on the table IMO. Enzo and Cass could have been a beloved tag team for years to come. Will they ever be The Revival? No. But they could have easily been the New Age Outlaws. Fret all you want, but the NAO had major success!

I was somewhat surprised to see Enzo and Cass split up so quickly. I always figured they'd get at least a token run with the titles, since they seemed popular and from looking at the crowds, it appeared they were moving a ton of merchandise. I assumed this day was coming, just not so soon. I don't much like Enzo's chances from here on in. I wonder if maybe this was because he really isn't the most popular guy backstage. I read somewhere he rubbed some of the trainers the wrong way in NXT by refusing to listen to advice.

That and he was tired of having to fight Enzo's battles for him after he would shoot his mouth off.

Considering WWE doesn't do managers not named Paul Heyman, there's not much Enzo can do now. I think he'd be great as a modern day Jimmy Hart pipsqueak heel manager, but that role won't be there for him in this company.

I wonder if it's true that the Angle/Graves thing is leading to the return of Triple H? Because if it is...meh/bleh.

(Meh being I partially don't care, bleh indicating that of all the people I was hoping to see Angle mix it up with upon his return, Triple H wasn't one of them. And I don't even dislike Triple H, but we've seen him and Angle already.)

Wait, are they really done with Maryse for now? Why in the world?

Maria's Brother Love gimmick? Can't have two Shanes.

I forget about WWE's tokenist mindset since it's so behind the times. A shame, since Maryse is one of the best TV performers they have.

Haven't watched hulu-smackdown yeat, but I thought hulu-raw was solid.

Joe/Reigns has me almost as interested as Joe/Brock. I love them doing the bit about Reigns not acknowledging Joe as a Samoan and Joe screaming "say my name" as he beats on him. Their promo at the beginning of Raw was tops and their match was a nice little preview of something I sure we get in some form on a bigger stage later.

Reigns announcing he intends to be in the title match at SS throws an interesting wrinkle in. I assumed they would hold Reigns vs Brock off for Mania (but ya know, wwe). I can see them going for it at SS, or I can even see them giving us Reigns/Brock/Joe in a three way. Maybe Joe costs Brock the match and sets up something more long term between the two of them where they could actually exchange wins maybe...

Strowman coming back was fun. I really don't like ambulance matches much, but I am looking forward to them clubbering each other again.

I know Cass turning on Enzo was inevitable, but it doesn't do much for me. I like Cass, but the combo is just so good and the split seems premature. I often feel like the WWE uses tag teams just to get to singles competitors and rushes the turns. Feels like they could have milked this a little more, get the audience really invested further in their friendship and their struggle. Ohhh well.... I hope Enzo doesn't get lost in all this. He could pop 205 Live some, but that doesn't really feel like the best way to use his talent.

Raw went from 2.542 viewers to 3.102 this week. So building the show to the mystery reveal was a wise move. Good to see a fun show do well. They probably will follow the same pattern with the Graves/Angle reveal

24 million people watched the NBA Finals last week. No basketball this week.

That was such a stupid part of Smackdown. Carmella made a solid argument defending her win. Everyone else cried about it and didn't make any valid points. Then Daniel Bryan sided with the crybabies. Everyone came out worse. Daniel Bryan looks like an emotional moron. Charlotte looked like a heel instead of a face. Carmella looks like the sympathetic face instead of the underhanded heel. Becky complained for the billionth time. Tamina was almost ok, until she botched her promo and repeated Charlottes insult. I guess the whole thing kind of suited Natties new character. But she'd be the lone exception whose character wasn't damaged.
I hope her and Ellsworth go all the way and cheat harder to win the briefcase THEN cash in after the Womens title match and Carmella takes home the gold.

Fed up with the women moaning like a bunch of playground mums.

What I don't get is Carmella and James made a valid defense, and Bryan actually agreed with them, but then he took the case away anyway because reasons.

It seems popular on Wrestling Twitter to say that people who didn't like the women's MITB and the aftermath are being worked by WWE's brilliance here but since they troll the fans all the time now it's gotten to the point that not liking something they do is their version of the guy who's all "it was just a prank bro" when they get called out.