Pro Wrestling Only

How do you have your wrestling footage stored? What methods do you personally recommend?

SPS

I have been thinking about this lately with going through some of my stuff and contemplating buying a blu ray burner. I have about 6 external drives with roughly 10 terabytes between them(aside from my already hundreds of discs and about 50-100 VHS tapes I have left over from my VHS days) and I have been looking at cloud storage(which I'm leery of) and burning more DVDs which is mainly how I've been doing it but I've accumulated such an amount of online files that I think it'd be more financially and space conservative to use the larger data holding blu ray discs.

I really prefer having the physical copies as I've experienced data loss before and if one of my drives now with some of the stuff I have were to go down it would be awful trying to refind some of the stuff I've saved.

So with all you fellow collectors of footage, how do you all on here have your wrestling footage collection stored?

What do you recommend? anyone else burn blu ray's and find it work well? Just looking for some brain storming and thoughts :)

Most are still on DVD or BRD. I also have an external hard drive that I can just plug into my Blu-Ray player. I would love to have them all on external and just have the DVD as a back up, but I will never have the time to make that happen.

I am also really thinking of getting a burner to at least back everything I have up. My stash is more or less organized, but in lots of different media. One summer I am going to dedicate time to backing everything up digitally... but that will not be this summer.

I am also really thinking of getting a burner to at least back everything I have up. My stash is more or less organized, but in lots of different media. One summer I am going to dedicate time to backing everything up digitally... but that will not be this summer.

I'm in a similar boat, I have lots of stuff sorted but I am not confident my external drives will last forever and I'd hate to lose so much stuff from over the years. So the Blu Ray burner seems like the best bet but is a considerable investment financially but I think that's the route I'll end up taking.

I have binders that hold about 200 DVDs at a time. You can get those anywhere and they are easy to put on shelves.

That's how I'm also currently storing my burnt discs as well and it's perfect for me but at the amount of discs it'll end up taking to back up the tons of stuff I've amassed would probably be more space effective to burn them on Blu Ray discs with more space.

I'm probably in the minority but most of my stuff is on DVD. Disc binder or two from office supply store sorted by promo, style and years. YouTube and DM for the rest especially when exploring.

I've moved a lot in the last 5 years so, its made me take stock in what's worth hauling around and storing. If I'm going to want to revist a match or arc then its worth having it saved...but, shoot! be honest if you're not loving it then you're not going to come back to it so, let it go into the wind. Something else will take its place in a couple weeks...

Keep your classics and near classics, scrap the rest.

That's my recommendation 😀

So the Blu Ray burner seems like the best bet but is a considerable investment financially but I think that's the route I'll end up taking.

Your mileage may vary on "considerable" expense, but the most popular burners on Amazon right now are in the $50-70 range, and single-layer 25GB discs are about $25 for 50. I only got around to it this year, and was shocked by how cheap the whole thing was.

So the Blu Ray burner seems like the best bet but is a considerable investment financially but I think that's the route I'll end up taking.

Your mileage may vary on "considerable" expense, but the most popular burners on Amazon right now are in the $50-70 range, and single-layer 25GB discs are about $25 for 50. I only got around to it this year, and was shocked by how cheap the whole thing was.

25GB on there? Do those need to be formatted as DVDs or can the media files be copied directly? Is this a very time consuming process?

25GB on there? Do those need to be formatted as DVDs or can the media files be copied directly? Is this a very time consuming process?

"25GB" = 23.2, but yeah. Just like DVD, you can put straight data on them with any easy burning software like ImgBurn, or author video files into a playable disc if you have proper software for that. Burning a full disc takes about 20 minutes at 6x, if you run a verify it takes perhaps another 10-15.

One thing you can't do is put several standard DVD .iso files on a BR and play them in a BR player, because the universal player standard expressly forbids this operation. You can probably guess why.

"25GB" = 23.2, but yeah. Just like DVD, you can put straight data on them with any easy burning software like ImgBurn, or author video files into a playable disc if you have proper software for that. Burning a full disc takes about 20 minutes at 6x, if you run a verify it takes perhaps another 10-15.

One thing you can't do is put several standard DVD .iso files on a BR and play them in a BR player, because the universal player standard expressly forbids this operation. You can probably guess why.

What about MP4 or AVI files? for example if I have a year of a promotion of say 50 episodes and wanna burn it to a 25 or even 50 GB Blu Ray disc, will it still play it in a blu ray player?

What about MP4 or AVI files? for example if I have a year of a promotion of say 50 episodes and wanna burn it to a 25 or even 50 GB Blu Ray disc, will it still play it in a blu ray player?

Yes, most Blu-ray players now play a wide variety of media formats directly off of data discs. Just not .iso images of DVDs.

Yes, most Blu-ray players now play a wide variety of media formats directly off of data discs. Just not .iso images of DVDs.

Thanks for the reply, great stuff. This may be the route I take.

• 2 weeks later...

I had about 300 VHS piled up on shelves in a closet. I don't recomend that as they got all sorts of fucked up. I tossed most of them a few months back. I've also got a bunch of stuff saved on older laptops and thumb drives. Saving entire years of an entire promotion onto a single drive has caused me all sorts of problems in the past.

I have been thinking about this lately with going through some of my stuff and contemplating buying a blu ray burner. I have about 6 external drives with roughly 10 terabytes between them(aside from my already hundreds of discs and about 50-100 VHS tapes I have left over from my VHS days) and I have been looking at cloud storage(which I'm leery of) and burning more DVDs which is mainly how I've been doing it but I've accumulated such an amount of online files that I think it'd be more financially and space conservative to use the larger data holding blu ray discs.

I really prefer having the physical copies as I've experienced data loss before and if one of my drives now with some of the stuff I have were to go down it would be awful trying to refind some of the stuff I've saved.

So with all you fellow collectors of footage, how do you all on here have your wrestling footage collection stored?

What do you recommend? anyone else burn blu ray's and find it work well? Just looking for some brain storming and thoughts :)

If there is one thing I would never do and thats go digital, all the stories about data loss and crashes really puts me off going that way and plus I wouldnt be able to watch it on my TV.

For me I have my DVDs in big 240 DVD cases and they have their own show in them so one maybe will have WCW Worldwide 1983 - 1988 or another would have WWF Raw 1993 - 1996 and I try to put them in order of when a show first aired so sitting next to Raw is Smackdown.

Ideally I would have put everything in broadcast order the way it aired on TV but it could look a bit cluttered.

Ive virtually no interest in having everything transferred to Blu Ray because it cost a fortune to get everything to DVD.

How reliable are the DVD cases anyway. A mate says he wont use them because of the material he used before scratched his disk no end when he was using them. Not sure whether to believe him or not because I've never had this problem before and hes not one to lie.

Problem is when you try to collect various promotions because there is alot out there you can deffinately fill alot of space up, not so much as VHS tapes used to fill.

Plus I like to have on the case whats on each folder but all the folders I own are black so its difficult to write on them, I think eventually I went for this silver duct tape that sticks quite well and then you can just write on that with a marker pen so you can see whats on them ie USWA 1989 - 1994.