Pro Wrestling Only

Between the Sheets #101 (June 21-27, 1995) (Featuring Emil Jay)

KrisZ

bts101.jpg
Kris and David are joined by the returning Emil Jay (Dojo Wars) to talk about the week that was June 21-27, 1995. We discuss King of the Ring ’95, arguably one of the worst PPVs ever, and the Philly crowd’s revolt at what they got, plus a truly WCW week in WCW history with multiple negative tag title reigns, Victor Quinones meets Dennis Coralluzzo, THE VADER ROADKILL TOUR, and much more. Plus, we also memorialize our friend, Chris Bryan/Chandler Biggins, and both the beginning and end of the show.
Timestamps:
0:00:00 Chris Bryan/Chandler Biggins tribute
0:12:06 WCW
1:28:18 Japan: NJPW, WAR, FMW, SPWF, West Japan, AJW, & LLPW
2:12;52 Classic Commercial Break
2:14:08 Housekeeping & The Amazon Game
2:35:13 Int’l: Lebanon, AAA, & EMLL
2:51:49 Other USA: NWANJ, ECW, SMW, USWA, UFC, NWC, & Potpourri
4:24:32 WWF
To support the show and get access to exclusive rewards like special members-only monthly themed shows, go to our Patreon page at https://patreon.com/BetweenTheSheets and become an ongoing Patron. Becoming a Between the Sheets Patron will also get you exclusive access to not only the monthly themed episode of Between the Sheets, but also access to our new mailbag segment, a Patron-only chat room on Slack, and anything else we do outside of the main shows!
You can also support the show by shopping with our Amazon referral link at https://tinyURL.com/BTSAmazon — Nothing extra comes out of your wallet, but Amazon gives us a kickback for referring you to them.
To subscribe, you can find us on iTunes, Google Play, and just about every other podcast app’s directory, or you can also paste http://feeds.FeedBurner.com/BTSheets into your favorite podcast app using whatever “add feed manually” option it has.

Kudos to Emil for a gallant effort in defending a universally panned show, but I don't see the comparisons of Mabel to the ECW talent named holding up at all (though Emil's point about fans accepting this if it took place in the Arena with Joey Styles putting it over is a fair one, even if I think he exaggerates a bit). Chad Austin, Donn E. Allen, the weirdo Dudleys, Big Val...all jobbers or comedy figures. 911 wasn't, but as Bix said, he didn't really wrestle--he was essentially a team mascot. Mabel was being pushed as a nominative main eventer. I'm as down on ECW and its trained seal fans as just about anyone, but in the end my response to Emil's point is..."Well, that's how wrestling works." It's not really about "giving the fans what they want to see," it's about making fans want to see what you're giving them. At this point in the '90s Heyman was more successful in that regard than the objective failure that King of the Ring was.

I think if Nelson Frazier had come along in 1983, he'd have been a sensation--a near Andre-sized guy who could actually move and sell. But until he went over Adam Bomb in the qualifier the previous month, he was a tag guy. Or, when Mo was out in '94, a mid-card singles guy putting over the likes of King Kong Bundy and Jeff Jarrett. Throw in his attire and his name, which I maintain is possibly the worst in the history of wrestling when you factor in what they wanted him to be, and this push was death from the start.

I'm with Bix on the booking of Sid--the idea of booking Sid as a Honky Tonk Man-type coward was dumb on its surface.

What's even crazier is that Mabel actually did make a stop in Ecw if I'm not mistaken. I believe it was during Spikes giant killer run. I loved Emil as a guest as he represents largely how I am as a fan. I have a fondness for this era regardless of how shitty it may be to others

It's a really weird feeling driving during your daily commute and hearing your name :D

At least all these wrestling podcast are a neat sideeffect of being on the road for so many hours each week.

While I did not learn English because of Ringmasters I was surprised by how much I had forgotten about that run. Basically I only remember that Otto Wanz (or was it his son Michael?) called every move he didn't know the name of a "Big Otto". Needless to say, there were many Big Otto's and if I ever have the opportunity to call a rather minor wrestling product I will call many moves a Big Otto. And I always assumed that Owen's name was a play on his full name

Lovely tribute btw

That was Otto himself as I don't think I have seen an episode with Michael announcing and I very much remember the "Big Otto" (though I think he only used that term for any kind of splash, charge or senton).

Anyway when watching NJPW on Eurosport I somehow got the idea that Liger was the Japanese Hogan as every episode I watched ended with Liger winning in a decisive manner (plus he had the superstar presentation and aura).