Scenic City Invitational 2017

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 CapitalTTruth

CapitalTTruth
  • Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:54 PM

I too had a great time at SCI this year.  I would agree that it is a lot of bang for your buck.  The tournament itself was really solid, lots of action.  Night two was almost exhausting. The action felt like an absolute sprint, but in a good way. There were so many good matches and performers, but I really felt like Anthony Henry was the standout performer of the weekend.  He and Jay (another guy to watch in this thing) gave us match of the night for round one - for me at least.  He was fantastic in the semi and main event too.  Overall, just good stuff. I got introduced to some talented wrestlers and got to see some awesome action.

Met Dylan after I think we have been to at least one or two shows and not crossed paths. Hats off to him and everyone else involved in organizing the weekend. Maybe next year I will put even more faces to names. I am pretty sure I talked my wife into going next year already with my pictures of the Ruby Falls caves (a really fun little side trip).

#22 shoe

shoe
  • Moderators
  • 9099 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:32 PM

My favorite match of night 1 was Dom vs Royal. Night 2 was Riddle vs Gunner.

#23 Eduardo

Eduardo
  • Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:38 PM

My favorite match of night 1 was Dom vs Royal. Night 2 was Riddle vs Gunner. 

That match had such great grappling and heel work from Royal. It's pretty cool hearing the different picks MOTN for Night 1. I thought it was Joey Janela vs Darby Allin. I came in most hyped to see Janela that night, as he's such a fun cult figure to me, and they both delivered a totally unique car crash of a match, exactly what to expect from those two. I think Zellner picked Jason Cade vs Curt Stallion, which also had great heel work from Cade. Also saw picks for Anthony Henry vs Gary Jay, which was my number two pick for Night 1, and in my top five for both nights. Some folks also picked Tank vs Matt Riddle for the emotional impact of the match. 

Still can't get over how great Matt Riddle vs Gunner Miller was. It was the independent professional wrestling version of Marvin Hagler vs Tommy Hearns to me. "The Fight". These two athletic bros just killing one another, bomb after bomb. Laid out perfectly, with a wild believable nearfall in the first few seconds of the match. Ending literally had me jumping. Coming in to the SCI, I thought the right choice and the choice they were going with was Anthony Henry to win. But after seeing that Riddle match, I went up to talk to Pete about it, and was thinking that I was changing my mind to thinking maybe the right choice is Riddle, seeing how the crowd lost their shit when he beat Miller. And at the end of the night, Riddle was the right choice to win it all. 

The Hierarchy vs Carnies match was also such a great, wild brawl. Great dives, chairshots, stuff on the guard rail, fireballs, balcony dives, all in a high school gym! 

Anthony Henry is still someone to look out for. Brings such great intensity to his ring work, great subtle facial expressions, has been consistently excellent for three SCI's in a row. Watching live, the diversity in styles really hit you. Arik Royal and Matt Riddle are fucking great, but are so different in style. Darby Allin and Joey Janela are both cult figures known for their crazy bumping, yet are still so different as well, obviously in persona but also in what they do in the ring and how they do it. Jason Kincaid looked like a star on both nights, his shit looks so good live. Joey Lynch man, what a great, great wrestler that deserves more bookings. Shane Marx is so underrated, he was the perfect opponent for Gunner Miller, and I saw some kids pop big for Marx's great bumping, and his well timed comeback, during that match. 

Both shows are strongly recommended when they get released. 

#24 CapitalTTruth

CapitalTTruth
  • Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:55 AM

Janela vs Darby was awesome. Honestly, nothing the whole weekend made me mark out more than Darby's dive with his arms behind his back. i was right where he dove and I was sure it was going to end badly.  I think Janela has it, man.  He feels big time to me now.  I think in the last year or so he went all in on this stretch of his career, (calling out anyone and everyone and doing apeshit insane stunts). It has earned him a lot more notoriety and I think it has put him in the ring with a different level of wrestler and that has sharpened him as a character and a performer. Not to say he wasn't good, but I think he has taken it to another level lately. There is a different aura and energy around him when he walks through the curtain.

Royal and Garrini was really fun. I am a huge Royal fan. He is always a highlight of CWF shows and I think he is very much a "live" performer (stands out just a little more in the room).  Garrini gets better every time I see him. It is stupid how he is taking to wrestling.  I think Royal is the type of guy Garrini could really shine with. He is a big strong dude that can let Garrini jump on him, crawl around him, and lock on those nifty submissions from different places. I hope Dom gets more opponents like that. 

To me, the biggest benefit of Riddle winning is establishing a cannon of well known winners that have either had or are locks to have bigger name value, making the trophy mean more down the road. I really thought Henry or Lynch should have won, but the more I thought about it on the way home the more Riddle made a lot of sense and is probably a strong choice once you think 2, 3, 4, or more years down the road. Having Riddle on that list is going to mean a lot and SCI - as has become expected - did well to put those other guys in spots to shine and come out strong.

#25 benj

benj
  • Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:51 PM

Hey what's the plan for distribution of these shows? I finally got to see last year's through Powerbomb.tv, and I don't want to wait as long for this one.

Wondering the same thing

#26 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10173 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 09:08 PM

Shows are being edited now. Hoping they will be out in the next 10-12 days

#27 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10173 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 01:36 AM

Night one is up on Powerbomb.tv.  Night 2 should be up very soon

#28 bucky

bucky
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:03 AM

Niiiiice. Great job. The wait was eating me alive.

#29 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10173 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:05 PM

Night 2 is now up too

#30 cheapshot

cheapshot

The chap they call Allan.

• Members
  • 1050 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:35 AM

Watched all of Night 1 and I loved it. All the matches were different enough, where the didn't blend together. The show was paced fantastically. Two thumbs up. 

#31 soup23

soup23
  • Moderators
  • 10284 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:50 AM

Just finished Night 1. Overall a good show that felt about equal with Night 1 in 2016.  The show is a breezy 1 hour 45 minutes edited and that is both refreshing and a bit of nuisance for me. One on hand, the matches are all paced with a ton of intensity and it is easy for the people in the building to be left wanting more at the end of the night while still being satisfied by the show that was put on. The flip side of that is that I think this type of heavy sprint style does have a ceiling and one of the things I relish most in wrestling is when I find myself in the middle of a great match organically. With these matches being structured to go sub 10 minutes in most cases, we didn't get a chance to have that build. Something like Garrini vs Royal which was one of the shortest matches of the night felt the most substantial to me for the way it interspersed in the ground game and the counters. I actually think Tank vs Riddle with a few more minutes could have been MOTN and that the fans would have been there with Tank based on the emotional connection he had. A minor critique but overall the show was a thumbs up and featured a nice variety with me having Garrini/Royal at ***1/4, Janela/Allin at ***1/2 and a bevy of other matches at the *** range. 

#32 Childs

Childs
  • Moderators
  • 4441 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:58 PM

Finally caught up and watched this. Overall, I liked Night 1 better than Night 2, though Gunner vs. Riddle was probably match of the weekend. Night 1 featured a steady stream of good matches and a lot of diversity. Tank vs. Riddle and Janela vs. Darby were my favorites. I was actually hoping for a little more from Garrini vs. Royal. They didn't click quite as perfectly as I thought they might, though it was still a cool match-up.

The final was action-packed but a bit superficial. Thought it was too much of a superhero performance by Riddle. In general, the tournament was a step down from the great 2016 SCI. I like tight work, but the tourney matches this year were relentlessly brief. And Hero and Rave were such great glue guys last year. The narratives this year didn't come together with as much punch. 

I don't mean to be negative. It was still a lot of fun, and kudos to the organizers for pulling off a third good one in three years. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users