Pro Wrestling Only

Scenic City Invitational 2017

Eduardo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just finished Night 1. Overall a good show that felt about equal with Night 1 in 2016. The show is a breezy 1 hour 45 minutes edited and that is both refreshing and a bit of nuisance for me. One on hand, the matches are all paced with a ton of intensity and it is easy for the people in the building to be left wanting more at the end of the night while still being satisfied by the show that was put on. The flip side of that is that I think this type of heavy sprint style does have a ceiling and one of the things I relish most in wrestling is when I find myself in the middle of a great match organically. With these matches being structured to go sub 10 minutes in most cases, we didn't get a chance to have that build. Something like Garrini vs Royal which was one of the shortest matches of the night felt the most substantial to me for the way it interspersed in the ground game and the counters. I actually think Tank vs Riddle with a few more minutes could have been MOTN and that the fans would have been there with Tank based on the emotional connection he had. A minor critique but overall the show was a thumbs up and featured a nice variety with me having Garrini/Royal at ***1/4, Janela/Allin at ***1/2 and a bevy of other matches at the *** range.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally caught up and watched this. Overall, I liked Night 1 better than Night 2, though Gunner vs. Riddle was probably match of the weekend. Night 1 featured a steady stream of good matches and a lot of diversity. Tank vs. Riddle and Janela vs. Darby were my favorites. I was actually hoping for a little more from Garrini vs. Royal. They didn't click quite as perfectly as I thought they might, though it was still a cool match-up.

The final was action-packed but a bit superficial. Thought it was too much of a superhero performance by Riddle. In general, the tournament was a step down from the great 2016 SCI. I like tight work, but the tourney matches this year were relentlessly brief. And Hero and Rave were such great glue guys last year. The narratives this year didn't come together with as much punch.

I don't mean to be negative. It was still a lot of fun, and kudos to the organizers for pulling off a third good one in three years.