Pro Wrestling Only

[2017-06-28-WWE-NXT] Asuka vs Nikki Cross (Last Woman Standing)

ShittyLittleBoots

I think it's safe to say that this is a big time contender for the most violent women's match in WWE history. They went all out - amazing action from start to finish w/ no dull moments & dull moments are something that we usually get a ton of in LMS matches. The big spots (trash can, neckbreaker's, the ending..) were all absolutely tremendous & the action in between those was terrific as well w/ some real good selling. ****1/2

That was both Asuka's and Nikki's best match in NXT. I've seen a couple small complaints that Asuka took a little too much punishment, but the way she sold the nearfalls was perfect. She was using the ropes and barricades to prop herself up, just barely beating the counts, and hardly getting her legs under her. The pacing of the match was excellent; there really wasn't any down time, but the action was given time to breathe. The character work was played to a T. We've never really seen Asuka pushed to that level before, and she reacted as she should. Nikki has a Cactus Jack thing going on, but it's a little more subdued when she's selling, which I love. Just excellent stuff, all around.

If there's one complaint I have, it's that I thought for damn sure that Asuka got a concussion from that bump onto the pile of chairs. That was straight up SCARY.

I like that they start with a lot of aggression given the stakes and that helps a little when they go into the standard LMS trope of counting for everything fairly early. But at least the moves are count-worthy, which cannot always be said when they've done matches like this. I thought the production was really good here too, good camera angles to make stuff look stiffer. I think it can certainly be said that Nikki's offense was a lot more interesting, starting with the reverse DDT on the apron and that snap back suplex on the chairs after taking a hair toss off the turnbuckle. I also liked that Nikki wouldn't just sit around during the count; even after the four swinging fishermen busters (Cross rhodes), she's going for the belt, not convinced she'll get 10. Asuka does take a lot of damage here, which felt off - and the powerbomb onto the chairs was really sick because Nikki just dropped her so she couldn't bump normally. But it's a weird transition there, Asuka is up at 9 and then just takes over, leading to a very lame hip attack off the ramp - which seemed like such a tame response to all the carnage. And then from there its more Nikki, like the rail assisted swinging neckbreaker to the mat; she was just much more creative in this match. I liked the finish setup as you don't think about the announcer's table with how they worked it, and Asuka barely survives. ****

Loved this match. The kind of violence you would expect in a LMS match yet Asuka and Nikki's violent tendencies amplified it a bit more than recent LMS matches. Thought it was a little weird that Asuka took as many heavy shots as she did and STILL made it up at 9 following the superplex (unbelievable spot by the way), but it will make her eventual defeat all the more impactful.

****1/4.

• 1 month later...

This has to be as brutal a match that anyone can have in the current corporate/PG environment. They managed to make a few of the usually trite WWE hardcore spots look really nasty. It amazing that Nikki Cross can create a different character and work a different style from how she worked of the indies and somehow become a better worker. Asuka came off as incredibly tough after going toe-to-toe with Cross in a match that favoured her opponents style. Terrific build to the finish as well. ****1/2

• GSR changed the title to [2017-06-28-WWE-NXT] Asuka vs Nikki Cross (Last Woman Standing)